Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2022, 01:04 PM

Default Pheasant 'hunting'

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a place to do a bit dog training with pheasants.
I know there is Wessex, but I was wondering if anybody could recommend anybody another place?
I thought there were places in Duchess and Nanton, but I can't find them on the web.

Any recommendation???

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:32 AM

Mark, if you cannot find a place I suggest just flushing a few grouse with 22 fired in air as alternative. Although when I raised pheasants one of my springers got so good she would pull out tail feathers before they could get into the air.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Mark, if you cannot find a place I suggest just flushing a few grouse with 22 fired in air as alternative. Although when I raised pheasants one of my springers got so good she would pull out tail feathers before they could get into the air.
I don't think that flushing grouse , and firing a rifle as they flush is a great idea during a closed season. I would visit a place like Wessex, or catch some pigeons.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:10 AM

I prefer using game birds to train but it's not an absolute necessity. My latest dog Boone was trained exclusively using feral pigeons as that was all I could get during Covid times and he locked up nicely on the first pheasant he ran across during last season. The "flying rats" aren't ideal but will work if you can't find other birds, personally I like using quail as they are easy to keep temporarily and are very easy to dizzy. Good luck with your training

Old 04-11-2022, 01:25 PM

Thanks
He's three and wanted to get some pictures in a controlled situation.
Tried during the hunting season, but couldn't get it done.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:45 PM

Yeah I only get "after action" pics when hunting. That pic is Boone at 6 months on a pigeon. This is after his first solo hunt

Old 04-11-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Poor advice.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:39 AM

My best Springer I ever had only worked ruff grouse in summer, we limited out every day on pheasants that fall when he was only 8 months old.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
My best Springer I ever had only worked ruff grouse in summer, we limited out every day on pheasants that fall when he was only 8 months old.
That doesn't change the fact that it's not a smart idea to flush game birds and fire rifles out of season, how do you suppose it would look to a F&W officer that either witnesses this, or has it reported to him? To many people, this would appear to be hunting out of season.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:48 AM

In Sask it's mentioned in the guide that harassing wildlife is an offence and I've been told by CO's that if your walking your dog and it points/bumps a bird there is no problem but if you are actively seeking them then its a nope ,though I don't know how they'd tell. Having said that until recently some pro trainers were using sharptails around Mortlach to train dogs Here's the wording.

'Hunting' is defined in the WA as including: "taking, wounding, killing, chasing, pursuing, worrying, capturing, following after or following on the trail of, searching for, shooting at, trapping, setting snares for, stalking or lying in wait for any wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently captured, wounded or killed". 'Taking' means taking dead or alive [WA 2].

Last edited by Hunter5425; 04-12-2022 at 11:58 AM.