Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Calgary Mattress Maker

Has anyone on here used Dean to make you a custom mattress. I am really tired of having to buy a new mattress every few years because the commercial ones sag out, and there is effectively nothing you can do to fix it.

I have done lots of reading of personal opinions and expert articles. It is clear that the best mattress, for a combination of comfort, durability, isolating movement and user friendliness is quality Pocket Coils with a count of 1000 or more for a King size mattress, with 3" Latex Rubber sheeting on both sides, no pillow top in semi firm and a replaceable top cover to adjust softness. So far however, no one makes a commercial version hat I can find.

If anyone knows of a commercial version as described that would be great as would any experience with Dean's custom mattress's. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM

Don’t know anything about Deans mattress but I can tell you this: the number of coils is important but not as important as the gage of steel used and if it is a precompressed coil or not. It’s also depends on what quality foams are used. There is more than one factor needs to be considered when buying a mattress. Also, if you are thinking that you can buy a good mattress for $500-600 these days - you are wrong....
PM me if you are interested, I might be just a right guy to help you...
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 PM

This forum has an expert on everything. It's great.

After 12 years the wife finally talked me into buying a new bed, we went to Ashleys in RD they have a sensor bed they put you on that tells you what bed you need. Thought it was snake oil until I tried the bed it recommended.

I never knew I was having such a bad sleep until I got this bed. Wish I would have bought a good bed sooner, best 3k I ever spent.
Maybe I should of clued in after sleeping on the floor for a year because my back hurt if I slept in my bed.

It's just hard for a guy like me to spend that much on something that doesn't shoot bullets or have an engine.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Just be careful what you read on the internet as many are not mattress people. 20 years I was in the business and can tell you all the stories you would ever want to hear. I have sold them. managed mattress stores, merchandise selection, trainer you name it.

Don't get totally caught up in coil counts. Yes I have a king pocket coil retails for around 8k. Has 2500 or more coils IIRC and all kinds of fancy foams I could talk your socks off for an hour and sell you one.

Remember coils are for support and foam is for comfort the first rule. The more coils will give you more contact points to your body for support without feeling them as much. Think of the guy laying on a bed of nails concept. Pocket coils contour better than others, less motion transfer but generally work harder being independent so don't expect them to last forever.
Latex rubber is great foam for comfort but most of the stuff out there is synthetic, thin layer and not the real mccoy anyways so mostly a bunch of hype. The cost of the good latex will show in the bed price and would be crazy high especially for thick layer layers of the real European stuff.

Most of the stuff in the mattress world is just hocus pocus to get you to spend big bucks but there is truth to make sure you spend enough. As mentioned a $600 bed is a piece of crap. I used to and still tell people 1500 to 2000 on a qn or king is a not bad spot for middle quality. If you can go 2 to 3k you get better and again what I have is over the top if you wish.

Comfort should always be first too. If you can't sleep on it don't buy it. Make sure you have a return or exchange program available and read the details so you don' get stuck or hosed on your pricing.

Anything else feel free to pm me as I don't bash any product or retailer but will give as many answers as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Has anyone on here used Dean to make you a custom mattress. I am really tired of having to buy a new mattress every few years because the commercial ones sag out, and there is effectively nothing you can do to fix it.

I have done lots of reading of personal opinions and expert articles. It is clear that the best mattress, for a combination of comfort, durability, isolating movement and user friendliness is quality Pocket Coils with a count of 1000 or more for a King size mattress, with 3" Latex Rubber sheeting on both sides, no pillow top in semi firm and a replaceable top cover to adjust softness. So far however, no one makes a commercial version hat I can find.

If anyone knows of a commercial version as described that would be great as would any experience with Dean's custom mattress's. Thanks.

Last edited by calgarygringo; 01-18-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
...Most of the stuff in the mattress world is just hocus pocus to get you to spend big bucks but there is truth to make sure you spend enough. As mentioned a $600 bed is a piece of crap. I used to and still tell people 1500 to 2000 on a qn or king is a not bad spot for middle quality. If you can go 2 to 3k you get better and again what I have is over the top if you wish...
How long should a guy expect the $2-3k mattress to last?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
as long as the warranty( the one i have is 10 years )...or until the new bed fund is replenish .
Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
The good quality bed should last you at least 10 years. Just remember, 2-3K mattress could actually be an overpriced $800 bed....
Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 PM

Realisticly I always recommended moving you bed to the guest room around the 7 year mark. Warranties mean nothing to how long a bed lasts it is just a marketing thing. I remember years ago they had 20 year warranties on beds and people slept on beds that were really trashed for the previous 10 years.
I sat in on a meeting a few years back one of the bigest boys was going to change to a 5 year warranty. They backed off eventually because they tried to lobby the whole inďustry to follow but the others wouldnt commit.
I was told by many of the mfg ideally a 2 year max would be where it should be. Think about it what other item do you have that you use 8 hours a day 365 days a year and has a 10 year warranty.
Saying that a lot of if and and buts in there and many get refused anyways as half of it is bunk.