Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Braid or mono...

Hey guys, does anyone on here have experience using braided line with a fluoro leader for trout fishing in a river? Personally I love braid and I am used to casting through heavy cover for Pike, currently I've got 50# braid spooled onto my baitcaster. I'd like to hear some thoughts on a 30" or so fluoro leader to prevent spooking the more timid trout in clear water.

Thanks,
Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Braid or mono

I use it all the time for trout. I setup is 10lb. high vis braid, and a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader tied on with a double uni knot with a touch of super glue on the knot.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM

I'd be using your setup for lake trout or jackfish. For timid trout in rivers and creeks I use 4# mono. I suggest getting a new spinning rod and reel (ultralight) for what you want to do.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Depends what type of trout you're talking about. 50 lb braid is a little overkill IMO but a 30 lb leader while ok for most pike and even Lakers when the bite is on is bit its a bit too stiff for finicky trout. Flouro, while being virtually invisible still has a feel to it so when a fish bumps a lure attached to 30 lb flouro it can feel the line and will know something is up. Try a 10 lb flouro leader and 20-30 lb braid.

Also if you're tying direct line to lure, 30 lb is much harder for knot tying.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:02 AM

I generally use an ultralight with 4 lb mono or fluoro for trout as well. The odd time I use a medium light with 20 pound braid and a 6 lb fluoro leader. I catch the same amount of fish either set up.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtodd94 View Post
Hey guys, does anyone on here have experience using braided line with a fluoro leader for trout fishing in a river? Personally I love braid and I am used to casting through heavy cover for Pike, currently I've got 50# braid spooled onto my baitcaster. I'd like to hear some thoughts on a 30" or so fluoro leader to prevent spooking the more timid trout in clear water.

Thanks,
Dylan

I've fished stream trout using a 6'6 medium spinning rod, 10 lb braid, and a 6 lb mono leader on plenty of occasions. It works alright but I'm happier using just 6lb mono on the same rig, or 4lb mono on a lighter rod.

I don't think that the setup you've described will serve you very well for river trout fishing. I've pressed heavyer tackle into service trolling or fishing bait for pothole rainbows, but I cant think of too many scenarios where it would work in a river.

IMO if your going to go out and buy a new trout rig you may as well just get a fly rod rather than a ultralight spinning rod however.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've fished stream trout using a 6'6 medium spinning rod, 10 lb braid, and a 6 lb mono leader on plenty of occasions. It works alright but I'm happier using just 6lb mono on the same rig, or 4lb mono on a lighter rod.

I don't think that the setup you've described will serve you very well for river trout fishing. I've pressed heavyer tackle into service trolling or fishing bait for pothole rainbows, but I cant think of too many scenarios where it would work in a river.

IMO if your going to go out and buy a new trout rig you may as well just get a fly rod rather than a ultralight spinning rod however.

Okay ya I can agree with what you're saying. I'll go grab a spool of mono for the meantime to spin on when I go out for trout until I get myself a fly rod

Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtodd94 View Post
Okay ya I can agree with what you're saying. I'll go grab a spool of mono for the meantime to spin on when I go out for trout until I get myself a fly rod

Don't get me wrong, spinning works fine for trout. Because of my location I don't do a ton of trout fishing anymore, as a result I don't keep a dedicated trout rod. I just use my walleye jigging setup and it works fine.

When I did lots of trout fishing I preferred fly gear to light spinning gear by a wide margin.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM

The debate between mono or braid will go on for the existence of mankind, because they both have their ups and downs.....but for trout I have never used anything but mono.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Try a "Limp" mono, nothing heavier than 6# test. XL Smooth Casting or various other brands of limp lines. Not as stiff as regular stuff, easy casting, lower memory, so a little less detectable. You can always tie in a Fluorocarbon leader for more abrasion resistance if needed banging around in rocks and timber if so desired.