Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 AM
Banned

Seen a few guys hauling their yaks with these this year...looks like a great idea if your worried about overhang or support.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65129/...k-box-extender
Old 10-16-2016, 01:41 PM

Demonical, you are right! I just picked up a Jackson Cuda 12, with cart, life jacket, paddle and a roller/ suction cup gizmo to aid in loading the yak onto my car. I paid $600 and the yak is like new.
Idaman, I picked up a truck extender like that one, on sale at Crap Tire for $120 and it works perfect for my Hobie Revolution 16.
Now I have to decide what yak I am taking down south in January....
Old 10-16-2016, 03:38 PM

James Henry, sweet!

Yeah, she's bargain season for sure!
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Hello All
I also bought a catch 120 this year. It seems like a very good and stable yak. Only got out in it once so far but hope to get out once more before ice fishing starts.

I love the cart you made Demonical I am going to make one like it. Im trying to make a bracket for a rear mount trolling motor .

Please keep posting updates great to see how its coming along.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

Close-up of the transducer and Scotty 140
I have a new Garmin 53cv and its transducer is a larger one, like the one you have in your image. Do you find the Scotty mount worthy of the size of your transducer? Is there any flex that causes any problems with the sonar or moving through the water? Are you happy with this setup?

I need to get my transducer mounted and looking for experienced Scotty 141 users. I'd appreciate your input and thanks!!!!

Best regards - Freddo
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddoFly View Post
I have a new Garmin 53cv and its transducer is a larger one, like the one you have in your image. Do you find the Scotty mount worthy of the size of your transducer? Is there any flex that causes any problems with the sonar or moving through the water? Are you happy with this setup?

I need to get my transducer mounted and looking for experienced Scotty 141 users. I'd appreciate your input and thanks!!!!

Best regards - Freddo
Use a piece of pool noodle and shoot thru hull.
Or buy a suction cup mount from lowrance or humming bird, making the holes compatible with transducer holes is a breeze. Those would be my choices for this. OR another option would be a magnetic transducer mount from fishfindermounts.com
Old 04-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Use a piece of pool noodle and shoot thru hull.
Or buy a suction cup mount from lowrance or humming bird, making the holes compatible with transducer holes is a breeze. Those would be my choices for this. OR another option would be a magnetic transducer mount from fishfindermounts.com
Thanks Idaman...

I thought this through and after *much* reading, I want to have the transducer in the water. Portability too so it can be use on my son's boat (although the kayak is top priority). I heard that having the transducer in the water is more accurate and give water temps better. The reason for the arm is so I can easily lift the transducer out of the water to land the kayak, weedy areas, etc. The magnetic mount is a good idea but I'd need to get into the hull and that's an option ($80 for the mod) but still leaning toward the arm.

Best regards - Freddo
Old 04-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddoFly View Post
Thanks Idaman...

I thought this through and after *much* reading, I want to have the transducer in the water. Portability too so it can be use on my son's boat (although the kayak is top priority). I heard that having the transducer in the water is more accurate and give water temps better. The reason for the arm is so I can easily lift the transducer out of the water to land the kayak, weedy areas, etc. The magnetic mount is a good idea but I'd need to get into the hull and that's an option ($80 for the mod) but still leaning toward the arm.

Best regards - Freddo
If you properly install transducer in hull there will be minimal signal loss. Signal loss is usually due to an installation error. Water temps don't work well because boat hull etc has to cool down/warm up to water temp before they are accurate(but I don't consider water temp very important here so personally wouldn't worry about that).

One simple and cheap method that is also easily removable is to use electrical duct seal. You can flatten it to a thin layer, press firmly onto bottom of kayak and then press transducer into it. Fold edges back over transducer to hold it in place and lasts for quite a while. You want it thin and most importantly absolutely no air bubbles(in the putty itself or between kayak and putty or putty and transducer). Only costs $3 so if it doesn't work to your satisfaction throw it away and try a different method.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.d...000406595.html

The arms do work, I use a homemade one myself. The only reason I use it though is because I use side imaging and a side imaging transducer pretty much needs to be down in the water(sonar and down imaging can work fine in hull). The arm works but the drag is annoying, my hobie with rudder helps accommodate this drag but on a paddle kayak I think it would be very annoying as kayak would always want to turn.

There are also thru scupper mounts that you can consider too depending on the kayak and transducer you use. If you want to get fancy you can do something like that and then figure out a way to build a plastic shield to protect it(if necessary). Sonar shoots through plastic fairly easily and with little to no signal loss.