Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Default Browning Maxus or Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting for Trap/Skeet???

I went out and tried skeet for the first time on Monday night, had an absolute blast. One problem I ran into is that my Mossberg 590 with it's cylinder bore and 20 inch barrel are less than ideal for this sport. I went looking today and spied these two, I think both shouldered and swung very nice. Just wondering if anyone has either of these shotguns and what their experience is with them. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
sheephunter

I just ordered an A400 Xtreme but have shot the Xcel a fair bit......that would be my choice. Cycles like a dream, low recoil and swings so well.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 PM

I've shot them both , either would work if they fit you.
Cat
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I've shot them both , either would work if they fit you.
Cat
Dumb question time; what's the best way to check for proper fit? Both of them, if I am reading the respective manufacturer's websites correctly, come with some shims to better customize the fit. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Dumb question time; what's the best way to check for proper fit? Both of them, if I am reading the respective manufacturer's websites correctly, come with some shims to better customize the fit. Thanks.
Easy way to check for length of pull is to put the gun up with your eyes closed, and have someone check the distance from your thumb to your nose.
Two fingers is normally about good.
You shouldn't have to crane your neck forward, nor hold your head back on the comb of the stock.
Pad of the ndex finger should sit on the trigger, your left hand on the fore end with your arm at or slightly less than 90 degrees at the elbow.

As far as drop at comb goes, most field guns are lower in the comb that trap guns, so the bird has to be covered a bit more.
Field guns work very well for skeet .
I shoot my filed guns at both trap and skeet, however.
Cat
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Since you say that this was your first try at skeet I will say that you should the help of a qualified instructor to show you a proper gun mount. After the proper mount is practiced the instructor may help you with adjusting the stock and then tweak the fit after putting you on certain basic clay presentations. The goal is not to just get something that feels right, but that shoots where you look.

Both the Maxis and the excell are fine candidates and if you can not get perfect with shims alone an adjustable comb may be installed For a reasonable price.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM

I have to agree about getting some proper instruction as well, the problem is that there are not a lot of good instructors and gun fitters around.
if you ask at your local club, you may just find a proffesional that can help you out.
Cat