Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cat

Usually I agree with what you post but with all due respect you are being given wrong info in this case. The free trade agreement means there are no tariffs or Duty charged on anything made in the U.S. or Mexico, that is imported to Canada. Cabelas and BP do not use Canadian distributors, they buy direct, thus the issue with Leupold warranties.

The only difference between the US price and Canadian at these stores should be exchange rate. Our dollar is currently at par and we are still paying 30 to 60% more here than in the states, and this is on guns, loading supplies, scopes and pretty much everything else in the store. They claim it costs more to do business in Canada. This is pure bull. Property taxes are way lower here, per store sales volume is as high and wages in Canada run at par or slightly lower than most of the northern states. We are getting charged a lot more because they can and it is good for their profit line. They didn't set up in Canada out of charitable neighborliness.
Most of the smaller shops run through distributors like Inland for their stock unless they can afford to buy a crap load of product.

Plus, many of the Stateside outfits have deals that protect their distributors.
For instance, you may or may not be able to get components imported from people like Ballistics Products because of the agreement contracts they have with distributors.

Several years ago I worked for a fella who was starting up a shop, and he got very discouraged because although he had the cash to buy, he could not buy they amount of stock needed to start up his shop.

Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
So, according to this mark-up principle, they were selling this rifle at a significant loss then? Seems odd.
I've seen many firearms sold below cost. Sometimes dealers get a special buy on certain items that their supplier puts on special to clear. Sometimes they actually take a loss on a lost leader and sometimes the item is not selling as fast as they would like and they are just clearing storage space so they can order new stock. Sometimes I think they choose to bleed a bit because they find out that their competition has just bought new product at a higher rate. Mark up principle is more of a guide line than written in stone.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM

I have been watching a gun at WSS Calgary for some time. The last time I was there I looked and the price had jumped up about $400! I asked a guy what was with that and he said it has always been that price. So I called BS on him and said the gun can stay there as I won't be taking it and went off looking for other stuff I needed. He comes up to me later and said he just found where it was at a lower price and sorry but it happens sometimes. I said fine but I'm still not taking it. Off shopping again and a few minutes he comes back to me and said he talked with the boss and I can take it at the old price. I told him I will pass. What I didn't tell him is I can buy the same gun from the USA and have Prophet import it for me for less money then their deal.

opps forgot to answer your question..... ALWAYS
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 AM

I do understand that running shop in a small town costs money. Tried to buy my last two guns in Whitecourt. First was almost double the price. Second one a Benelli 12 gauge i never did get a call back from our local store. Wholesale (south) threw in a set of bino's. Was a Benelli promo but the gun manager pretended he was just generous until the wife pointed to the Benelli poster on the wall. lol
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I do understand that running shop in a small town costs money. Tried to buy my last two guns in Whitecourt. First was almost double the price. Second one a Benelli 12 gauge i never did get a call back from our local store. Wholesale (south) threw in a set of bino's. Was a Benelli promo but the gun manager pretended he was just generous until the wife pointed to the Benelli poster on the wall. lol
I don't consier Ft. McMurray a large twon compared to Calgary or Edmonton ( it's not) and I have worked a little at three different gun shops up here.
I know what the dealer costs are and what "manufacturer's suggested retail price" is, and what dealers normally sell them for.
The shop up here is generally a bit higher than down south and enough to help cover the extra shipping, etc.
The money is not made on guns, it's on accessories.
Cat
Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Other than for better service, I try to do all of my shopping at the same stores, because they give me discounts without me having to ask. Of course this doesn't usually happen until you have spent a considerable amount at a given store.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM

ive asked not for discount on the gun but sweeten up the overall sale, with a set of rcbs dies or a box of ammo.
Bashaw needs the lites on too.
I usually get a fair price whenver i buy there

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 AM

Default why not

If they are willing to make a deal then I will play that game every chance I get for example: 10/22 ruger, 2 25 round mags, scope rings ect. 2 bricks of ammo, sling. new stock = about $627 if I remember right but I got it for about $580.

never turn down a deal and try to make one where there isn't one yet is how I look at it, rather make myself fat then someone else.