Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 PM

Default Do you dicker over gun prices at gun stores?

Mostly curious. Private sales are one thing, do you dicker at stores on new firearms too? My last few have been at big box stores so didn't give it much thought but I'm eyeballing a couple of new long guns at Bashaw Sports for a total of around 2k and while I can swing it, it isn't going to be leaving much in the toy fund for rings and a scope so every little bit will help. I expect to pay full advertised retail generally, wondering if you are the same and what your experiences have been.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:48 PM

I don't think I'd dicker on just the gun price, but I would ask for a package price for gun, rings, scope, sling etc. I expect stores to need to make money on an item, but if your buying a few things I don't think it's asking to much for them to swallow the profit margine on a smaller item or two.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Mostly curious. Private sales are one thing, do you dicker at stores on new firearms too? My last few have been at big box stores so didn't give it much thought but I'm eyeballing a couple of new long guns at Bashaw Sports for a total of around 2k and while I can swing it, it isn't going to be leaving much in the toy fund for rings and a scope so every little bit will help. I expect to pay full advertised retail generally, wondering if you are the same and what your experiences have been.
Nope.

The mark-up on guns at those stores is pretty modest so they don't have much room to haggle and with the volume of folks coming in... not much incentive either.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 AM

I did on my last gun purchase. Sig P220. They dropped the price 80$ and gave me a $17 a box on .45acp ammo. IT was worth the effort!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM

When I bought my Christensen arms extreme I dikered a bit. Got rings and bases thrown in and some cheap sight in ammo. I knew what I could buy it for from the only importer in Alberta and wasn't going to pay a second mark up from there retailer.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Price matched one once.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM

On the guns I don't think they will move too much. I don't think there's a whole lot of margin in the guns for the retailer.

When you offer to buy the gun, ask if they will give you 20% off accessories such as rings, bases, cleaning kit, case, ammo, etc. This could add up to significant savings and make both you and Bashaw happy.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Tell them what you want guns scope ect ect. Flash the cash and watch them scramble. Money talks louder then words. It's worked for me on a few hunting item endevours.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Smile Always!

If you don't ask you'll never get! You can negotiate anything.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM

I'm one of those guys that would embarass his companions by offering less money, asking for coupons, deals, free stuff, etc. when I purchase a big ticket item. I basically try and get some sort of discount or promo stuff just by asking. I've had hotel rooms upgraded to suites with beach view, I've had thousands of dollars worth of additions to my truck, I get free glasses at the liquor stores, every so often I'll save a bunch of money by getting a coupon or promo code etc.

I've learned growing up that you don't get 100% of the things you don't ask for. But you get maybe 25% of the things you do ask for.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Don't even bother asking pud in Bashaw for any kind of deal.. It ain't gonna happen. Go to stettler tell him what puds price is and he'll beat plus probably through in a box of ammo or sling or something like that. I quit shopping Bashaw a long time ago. Just my .02
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Not sure if the canadian tire in southland area of calgary still sells guns or not, but the last gun i purchased i got a qoute from whole sale sports and went to canadian tire with it, they beat the price by 10 percent plus threw in a box of shells and a free sling, worth looking into. Perhaps other canadian tires do the same?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM

it's sad that we try to beat down the little mom and pop stores but don't even try at the box store's, or are they that much cheaper anyway's? after my last trip to BP and getting no service after waiting at the counter for at least half an hour and watching other's who came later getting served,the little store's will get my business no matter the price.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM

The answer is no unless you ask = I always ask.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Yes. Yes I have. When I was looking at buying my Savage 110 BA, one store had it for $2050 and the other store that I would much rather deal with had the same thing for $2250. I explained to them that I'd rather do buisness with them than the other outfit, but I wasn't about to spend $200 to do it.

They came down to match the other store. And I couldn't've been happier
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I miss the days when I could go into Frenchy's/Barotto's and horsetrade. I have asked some places to do price matching.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM

I never really bother with it... although with 5 or 6 rifles I dont think I have ever paid for the rings and bases... they usually throw them in... good enough for me
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

If you compare Bashaw's prices on guns to the likes of Cabellas, I think you'll find Bashaw is pretty competitive. That's been my experience anyway - with no dickering.

Plus you get to deal with people who know what they're talking about.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM

I actually don't mind spending a LITTLE more to deal with the smaller guys. Helps keep them in business. I won't buy at Cabelas or BP cause the service sucks, and my montey goes out of Canada just as fast as they can ship it. I have bought a lot of stuff at Wholesale, and Russels before them. I have always received some sort of discount, sometimes on the gun it self, other times, marked down or free accessories. Years ago I would always ask what they could do for me and there was always soemthing. The last few years they usually offer it before I even ask.

I will always dicker everywhere on used guns or gear. If you are too shy to ask you will be 100% sure of paying sticker price, and this applies to cars, guns ,hotels, mens clothing and anything else you buy. Even Sears will tell you when their next 40% off sale is on the item you are interested in, and if it is close enough will often give it to you early, or just after the sale ended.

I will not however ask anyone to pice match. With the big chain stores, the guy that put it on for the lowest price gets my business, I am not doing a retailers competitive shopping for them. With the mom and pops, I decide if I am willing to pay the difference to support local businesses.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 PM

"stores don't make much on guns"

With all do respect to those who wrote that, I call B.S.

I've bought the exact same rifle up here as down in the USA at the same big box store and paid appx $300 more up here.

The world was built on bartering, it never hurts to ask.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman75 View Post

I've bought the exact same rifle up here as down in the USA at the same big box store and paid appx $300 more up here.

I know exactly what a retailer makes on a mark up from the staes and it's not a lot of money.

The prices Stateside cannot be compared to because of Import tarifs, etc.
Also, our retailers have to go through a distributor, they cannot order directly from most of the campanies Stateside unless they buy a considerable number of guns.
Some reatilers can do this but most can't.
Cat
Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I know exactly what a retailer makes on a mark up from the staes and it's not a lot of money.

The prices Stateside cannot be compared to because of Import tarifs, etc.
Also, our retailers have to go through a distributor, they cannot order directly from most of the campanies Stateside unless they buy a considerable number of guns.
Some reatilers can do this but most can't.
Cat
Yup

Sylvesteres in Bonnyville has great prices on remington factory ammo in fact his 17 hmr is cheaper than the big box stores.

He just has to buy 80,000$ worth at a time to deal directly with remington.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I won't buy at Cabelas or BP cause the service sucks, and my montey goes out of Canada just as fast as they can ship it.
You had me on the first part but the second doesn't amount to much. They employ more people then the mom and pop's and that money in employing these clerks, merchandisers, managers, what have you, does stay in the country in the form of wages.

Now if we can only get them to do their jobs ...

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Was mostly curious as to your personal preferences. I wasn't planning on bartering as one of the rifles was already on clearance, and the second was hard to find and the only other 2 I found were either the same price, or one was $30 cheaper (but not within driving distance).

Picked them up after work today and am happy with them.

Am a bit curious as to the mark-up though. It's been mentioned the mark-up isn't much, however one of the rifles I bought today was being cleared out at almost half of what one is selling for at Cabelas. I looked online and the other online prices, even in the states, are well above what I paid. So, according to this mark-up principle, they were selling this rifle at a significant loss then? Seems odd.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

onely with a female sale's person !!!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 AM

Last gun I went to purchase cost $1700 here. The average price in the U.S. was $1100. I asked for at least the GST as a discount and was refused, so I walked away. The markup here is ridiculous. I don't want to hear sob stories about distributors and tariffs unless you can show me some proof. I think it's all a crock.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I know exactly what a retailer makes on a mark up from the states and it's not a lot of money.

The prices Stateside cannot be compared to because of Import tariffs, etc.
Also, our retailers have to go through a distributor, they cannot order directly from most of the companies Stateside unless they buy a considerable number of guns.
Some retailers can do this but most can't.
Cat
Cat

Usually I agree with what you post but with all due respect you are being given wrong info in this case. The free trade agreement means there are no tariffs or Duty charged on anything made in the U.S. or Mexico, that is imported to Canada. Cabelas and BP do not use Canadian distributors, they buy direct, thus the issue with Leupold warranties.

The only difference between the US price and Canadian at these stores should be exchange rate. Our dollar is currently at par and we are still paying 30 to 60% more here than in the states, and this is on guns, loading supplies, scopes and pretty much everything else in the store. They claim it costs more to do business in Canada. This is pure bull. Property taxes are way lower here, per store sales volume is as high and wages in Canada run at par or slightly lower than most of the northern states. We are getting charged a lot more because they can and it is good for their profit line. They didn't set up in Canada out of charitable neighborliness.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman75 View Post

I see the cost on lots of guns and taking 300 off of any of the retail prices I have seen would be well under cost. No BS there at all. Especially the higher end ones that people think have so much room to move.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cat

Usually I agree with what you post but with all due respect you are being given wrong info in this case. The free trade agreement means there are no tariffs or Duty charged on anything made in the U.S. or Mexico, that is imported to Canada. Cabelas and BP do not use Canadian distributors, they buy direct, thus the issue with Leupold warranties.
They don't buy everything direct like you think. The gun sales go thru distributors just like everyone else. I get a staff purchase price. In getting that price, I get to see what the cost is. It isn't nearly what you guys think it is.

I signed an agreement that said I can't divulge costs and such so I can't say what they are. I would be interested however to know what you think the cost is on the rifle I just ordered.

I just ordered a Sako Bavarian in .375 H&H. Retail is $1,950.
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod243822.html
I am looking at the cost sheet from Stoeger Canada right now so yes I do know what Canadian cost is for that gun. What would you guess the cost to be?

And there is no issue with Leupold warranties. Bring it to the store for an over the counter exchange or refund.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 AM

With new guns I wouldn't bother dickering, the price is the price, but I haven't bought a "new" gun in decades. With a second hand gun if the dealer won't haggle I'll walk away. I've seen dealers buy guns at auction then mark it up $150-200 on their websites a few days later.