Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Slave lake ice?

Just wondering if anyone has been out on the ice lately and what access Ono the ice is like.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Access is increasingly sketchy, a truck went through at Canyon creek, a few gas pockets have opened up in odd places, lake is closed to angling. Unless you have a shack you need to remove I wouldn't recommend going out there despite the 4 plus feet of ice.

March 30 me and my daughter were fishing at 9 mile, we did well but at the end of the day some guys showed up to pull a shack off. I heard a some surprized exclamations, and when they presently pulled the shack out of the way there was about a 5' diameter hole on the other side of it that had opened up. We were about 50 yards away and were 4" up the extension drilling through. Weird!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info. We are headed out to recover the truck that went through and it's extremely helpful to have a good idea of the current conditions.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadromous View Post
Thanks for the info. We are headed out to recover the truck that went through and it's extremely helpful to have a good idea of the current conditions.
You're going out to Canyon Creek? I never went out there this year, from what I could see there is no way to get out there without a crossing a bunch of pressure cracks. Judging by the tracks nobody has really been going out at the marina with trucks this year, the cracks out there look pretty ugly and I couldn't see any obvious crossings. There were some shacks out there though so a few people must be coming around from Wide Water or 9 mile. Still looks like a bunch of cracks that way, I'd bring plenty of timbers, go slow, and don't trust the meltwater.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-04-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM

We will gain access from the safest spot we can find once we get up there. Thanks for the warning about Canyon Creek, we will avoid it. Is there any access further west, to the north of Kinuso off the large point?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 PM

We will be travelling on the ice with some tracked atv's and snowmachines, clearly the ice is not safe for truck travel. We would like to get the vehicle out without dunking ours, haha. We will have timbers and several other measures to ensure safety in the unstable conditions.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadromous View Post
We will be travelling on the ice with some tracked atv's and snowmachines, clearly the ice is not safe for truck travel. We would like to get the vehicle out without dunking ours, haha. We will have timbers and several other measures to ensure safety in the unstable conditions.
Sorry to hear about your truck. Good luck. What did insurance say if you don't mind me asking? Also, is it close enough for a winch/ crane? Is the province involved due to environmental reasons? Good luck.

Tags
ice, slave