Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 AM

Well both of our hands in GP decided to quit with-in 2 hours of each other so i am stuck up here and start training a new guy tomorrow. Hope you guys have a great time I know a few of you that are going and there are a few more I would like to meet. I am sure it will be a very fun time.

One of these years...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Well both of our hands in GP decided to quit with-in 2 hours of each other so i am stuck up here and start training a new guy tomorrow. Hope you guys have a great time I know a few of you that are going and there are a few more I would like to meet. I am sure it will be a very fun time.

One of these years...
Bummer.. at least you've got a bonifide reason to not be here.

It's too bad, as I've gotten word that we now have a Stainless barrel in 338 up for grabs as a prize, thank you Bob at Custom Gunworx, and Jury barrels.

The Duceman has ponied up for lunch gang, it's gonna be burgers and all the fixins, thanks Lee.

Moo Snukkle is putting up prizes for the younger shooters.

I'm finishing my morning coffe and will be heading to the range soon, to set up things...hope to see a lot of the AO gang there.

Good luck to all who do make it.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Bummer.. at least you've got a bonifide reason to not be here.

It's too bad, as I've gotten word that we now have a Stainless barrel in 338 up for grabs as a prize, thank you Bob at Custom Gunworx, and Jury barrels.

The Duceman has ponied up for lunch gang, it's gonna be burgers and all the fixins, thanks Lee.

Moo Snukkle is putting up prizes for the younger shooters.

I'm finishing my morning coffe and will be heading to the range soon, to set up things...hope to see a lot of the AO gang there.

Good luck to all who do make it.
Registration is at 7:30am?.....gonna make for an early mornin tomorrow

I will be driving in from the Leduc/Beaumont area. Is the range just before the river and the river valley?

*EDIT* found the area on Google maps.....I should be there tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-17-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Registration is at 7:30am?.....gonna make for an early mornin tomorrow

I will be driving in from the Leduc/Beaumont area. Is the range just before the river and the river valley?

LC
1 mile before the Bridge (east side of NSR) turn South on the RR 71, or the Buck Creek Road(hopefully the sign is till up as there is construction going on there) this road will be paved, go South about 3.5miles(6.5km) to TWP484A, turn NW on 484A and follow the road into the river valley.

The alternate route could also be, from Hwy39, go South on Hwy 22 to TWP484, turn West on 484 for 2miles(3.2km), till you meet pavement which is the Buck Creek Rd(RR71).
Turn north on 71 for about 1/2mile then follow TWP484A NW into the river valley.

GPS co-ords are:
53deg 10' 14.45" N
114deg 56' 08.87" W

See you there.

I do not have internet at the range, but guys like duceman, and 6.5x47Lapua do, so just pm them if you get lost(which I'm sure you wont.)

There are no absolutes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks Dick!

Now if I get lost and have to post or call...... I imagine there will be a few jokes flying.....a map and GPS co-ords should get me there

LC
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks a Bunch to All, that help put the shoot together,,,
had a great time as usuall,,good bunch of guys and good company for sure...
maybe next year "Big Green" will prevail ...lol
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
Thanks a Bunch to All, that help put the shoot together,,,
had a great time as usuall,,good bunch of guys and good company for sure...
maybe next year "Big Green" will prevail ...lol
Soooo, who won what??!!
Cat
Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Wink Rifle Rodeo

I survived the rodeo! Thanks to Dick and family for all their time and effort in putting together this shoot. Went down with my son and Red Hemi to get some much needed pre season practice. Was hoping for a no pressure, friendly enviroment and it delivered. Was nice to put faces to names of AO members and have some laughs along the way. Great bunch of guys and gals. Camping was available on site and we overnighted. The campfire that followed, complete with live music(thanks Micah) and the responsible consumption of various malt beverage, left us all wishing that more people attended. Great event. Great atmosphere. Bring your families. Thanks to all contributors and see you at the 21st annual -Steve
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM

home safe and sound. holy busy highways batman!! what a fantastic timewe all had! i' ll let dick anounce the winners; since it wasn't me! lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM

All I know is the king of hearts was last...
And trumped the 2 of hearts and won big....
Congrats to all the winners
Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM

I had a great time! Want to thank all the folks who pitched in many different ways to make this such a success. This was my first rifle rodeo and I am already looking forward to the next one. You guys sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome. I am going to have to hone my skills a little bit for next time Really great company and conversations and I want to thank all the Chefs for the great lunch and dinner and also all the folks who pitched in to hand out door prizes.

LC
Old 08-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Im glad to have booked the time, i wish i could donate more time pre/post shoot. maybe after i win the lottery.
i shot my personal best ever. wahoo!

it was really cool to put a good time with great members. its amazing how much fun can be had with like-minded folks in the same arena, however this was event was good too!!
nice to see cement bench and bushrat show up...
it is hard to maintain this goerge st piere-like build of mine with food like what was there....the cooks deserve a compliment and a half for the feast.
I dint come away with any honours but thanks to Predator, i scammed a Barnes T-shirt, (so i can keep my GSP-like sixpack covered and warm).
thumbs up to the evergreen club!!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM

Sounds like we missed another great shoot!
Cat
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

You did at that Cat. Many, many thanks to Dick for organizing once again, and many thanks to Mrs. B and Ritchie, Jenna for their help also. Food was awesome. It's nice to put a face to familiar alias names, what a great bunch of people.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM

It was an epic weekend on many levels.
First off I'd like to thank all those who came out a participated.
Second I'd like to thank all who brought door prizes and gifts. Specifically Moo Snuckle, who graciously provided some gift certificates for the youth shooters, Duceman for paying for lunch for us all, and Custom Gunworx and Jury Barrels..too bad duceman won the barrel and barrel job, and lastly for the Barnes Bullet Company to provide numerous door prizes. I have to give my wife Mrs. D a very special thank you, as she provided the logistical and grocery support we all utilized big time.

The top youth was our very own Pitboss.
1st overall all went to yours truely
2nd overall went to Wade, from down south
3rd overall went to Gitrdun.

And a very special thanks to Micah for the fireside entertainment. My apologies for my lousey singing to all who had to endure it.

Till next year, when I'm sitting out the competition, and taking in the atmosphere.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default Group Photo - DV rifle rodeo 2012

A picture of the gang

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM

hey git, thanks for posting that pic of the shooters at the rifle rodeo. too bad a couple got away before we could get it taken.
i have to say, i was still ''high'' from the weekend yesterday; i'm sure that much fun in a couple days has to be illegal in some form or another!
i saved that pic as a screensaver on my computer. today was one of those days that absolutely sucked balls. started at 6:30 am and didn't quit till 8:45 when i got time to pour my first whiskey.
so i'm sittin here, ****in and moanin about my day, thinkin about how some of it can't help but carry on into tomorrow, turn on my confuser to read the daily ramblings, and there is the pic of the crew.
at first i think about how s#$%%tty i shot, worst showing ever at the rodeo, and then the fun of the banter between like minded folk and the way the socializing played out over the weekend, and i was 'high' again.(hell, even cement bench and i kissed and made up)
to all you folks that said to yourselves, 'sounds like a good idea, i should go', and didn't for what ever reason: realize this:, life is short,(we tipped 2 drinks for guys who left us way to soon at the campfire), and this weekend is absolutely nothing to do with winning prizes or beating someone, it's about life and how we should count our blessings.
i would like to thank dick and his family for their sacrifices to make this weekend take place, the evergreen club for having a great facility to enjoy, and the folk who came out to make it memorable.
again i encourage anyone to come out and have some fun, and i guarantee you will learn something, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

^^^^^^^
Well Said!

Next time I am for sure planning to camp out....that way I can have a few more beverages, enjoy the full campfire and not have to drive home.

I agree, you only live once and sometimes you have to try something new.

The way that folks can pull together to pull something like this off is great. Everyone was safe and responsible and I know everyone had a heck of time.

Like I said I am already looking forward to next year.....I have to practice my "chicken head" shooting Strangely enough one of my better stations was the "wrong hand deer-head" and I won a tight race against gitdun on the long range coyote....good times fellas, thanks for the coaxing to get me out there.

LC
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned

I'm especially glad that you were coaxed LC, I'm happy to have met you and hope to meet up again somewhere along the trail. Lefty and I were tied on the long range coyote which if memory serves me right was 372 yards, we both made two out of three hits on it. Remember that these hits must be made with the same hunting rifle that you've just completed in the 25 to 210 yard events. Anyhow, to settle the score, we both had to shoot a blank 8.5 x 11 paper free standing at 100 yards, closest to center wins. Lefty shot high and right, I shot low left. First, the score keeper uses a pen to measure, then comes out a tape measure, then we're scrambling for a caliper. Anyhow, Lefty squeezed by me by 1/8" IIRC? No matter, we're high fiving each other. That was one of many memorable moments for me that weekend. The chicken head also roughed me up pretty good. All things aside, meeting and making new like minded friends.....priceless!

Dick remains king of the hill. Wade took 2nd place, no question, he's a sharp shooter. I don't know how in the heck I squeezed by the talent there, but I have a theory. Myself, I don't put emphasis on placing, I set my bar on besting duceman. Trust me, that's a chore on it's own, I know my placing 3rd was only due to duceman having an off day, but hey.....I'll take it

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Well, some dummy got the dates mixed up. Even traded this Friday's shift for an earlier one so I could get up there at a decent time and get some sleep(maybe). Went out to Sibbald, silohouette guys there. What is wrong with this picture? Could have come back and taken the 7-08 out to that shoot, needed about 80 rds to do it, only had about 35 in the box, and had to be back out there by 1;00pm. So, that didn't happen , either.
Let me know when Star Fleet is taking applicants, will ya?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default correction

The coyotes were at 320 something, the dreaded antelope was at 370 something. Didn't want the post moved to the fishing section.