Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Question FP buying a new gun thread

Good day,

Planing on buying a new gun in the next few weeks. Figured I'd start a thread so I could get some advice and opinions.

I'm open to almost anything. Slightly used or new. If used I'd like to shoot it first. Most likely in 300 WM or 7mm Mag, unless I can be convinced there's a better caliber that won't cost millions in ammo. Oh and I've a .270 already but I wanna "upsize" for elk.

I'm looking to do a bit more long range so 26 inch barrel is preference. I know heavy barrel is preferable for long range but I'd like to avoid going too heavy as I do a lot of bush whacking too. Stainless fluted is probable.

I've done a bit of study on makes and models in the recent weeks but I really haven't narrowed it down yet. I like the x-bolt, and A7 quite a bit. A bolt with BOSS sounds good too. (I'd really like a muzzle break). Savage with accu stock, accu trigger and muzzle break from factory sounds awesome too, I also hear the savages shoot great out of the box as well. I like the model 700 probably in xcr or xhr also. I can't count out the T3 either. I'm a little iffy on the m77, not sure why tho lol.

As you can see I'm having some difficulties narrowing it down. I could spend 12 or 13 hun on a gun but it wouldn't bother me to keep it under a grand either. Planning on putting about $500 into a scope as well.

Oh I saw a Kimber 84m in for like $1299, anyone have any input on Kimber ?

It seems a lot of models come stock with adjustable triggers or accu triggers etc so I'm hoping to keep it stock.

What's an accu stock really?

I've never owned a gun with a muzzle break and I am not sure what all is involved to have one put on a barrel. Are stock muzzle breaks any good? When I was reading about the BOSS adjustable muzzle break it seems that it cam be "tunned" to the load (vibration is load dependent and can therefore effect accuracy?)

What in gods name do thumbholes do? Lol

Twist- so most the 7mm mag and 300 WM I've been seeing have 1:9 1:9.5 or
1:10, what's your take on twist? More spin = more accuracy??

How about where to buy if I buy new? Is there somewhere with the most knowlegable staff? Best prices? Best selection?

Any and all advice or input is appreciated.

A-bolt question........ What's your take on BOSS? It seems to only come on the a-bolt not the x-bolt.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Banned

Weatheby accumark in 300wby...or 300wm if you prefer a non-wby round.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Should have seen that coming lol. But then I'd probably have to spend a bunch more than 5 Hun on the scope too. It does have everything I want though.

Another question. Muzzle break vs Porting...... What's the dif?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

I'm no expert, but I THINK porting is done to an existing barrel, while a brake is something that gets installed onto a barrel...(they thread the end of the barrel and the brake screws on). I have zero experience with brakes or porting.

Recoil in that rifle is likely to be low enough that a brake is not required. It's a 9lb rifle and the 300wby or 300wm aren't particularly hard kicking rounds unless it's in a superlight rifle. I have a 300wby in the backcountry which is around 7lbs and recoil isn't bad at all. I can go through a box of ammo on the bench with no ill effect.