Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Picked up a new Winchester SX2

I know these have been replaced by the newer SX3, but I was at an outdoors store today and they had a new one on the shelf that was missing the box at a greatly reduced price and it fit me really well, so I picked it up.

As there was no box there were no extra chokes either, so the only choke I have with it is the x-full turkey special. It takes the invector plus chokes which the store was out of. Where is the best place to get some chokes? What kind of chokes?

I will be hunting Canada Geese and ducks with 3" BB Kent Silversteel and #2 Winchester steel 3" 1 1/4oz 1400fps shot shells. Hunting will vary from decoys in grain fields to jump shooting.

I presently have a Rem 11-87 3" and I use a standard modified choke.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM

I don't even bother with the factory chokes, I just call up Briley, and within a couple of weeks,my chokes arrive in the mail.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Yup, Briley or George Trulock can build you some fine chokes and give you some excellent advice on where to start with your steel loads as well.
Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

I will be using a Trulock Precison Hunter this year.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

So what are the advantages of aftermarket chokes over say invectors or other Browning chokes? Just tighter tolerances? I've got a cynergy for waterfowl this fall if I get the time, and just wondering if there's much of an advantage over std chokes.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So what are the advantages of aftermarket chokes over say invectors or other Browning chokes? Just tighter tolerances? I've got a cynergy for waterfowl this fall if I get the time, and just wondering if there's much of an advantage over std chokes.

Thanks.
I firmly believe that George Trulocks chokes are some of the finest on the market, and are in fact built to tighter tolerances, the same fro the Brileys.

I bought my first set of Trulocks after talking with George about choke diameters, and he recommended a different choking than what I was previously using.

I still use them in my 20, and my son uses them in his big 3.5" goose gun, and in his Tikka 412S O/U 12 bore.
Most of the guns I shoot a lot are fixed chokes however.
Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

I picked up some Grand Passage ext tubes when I bought my Cynergy, and turns out they are made by Briley. Be interesting to see how they compare to the invector pluses that came with the gun.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I picked up some Grand Passage ext tubes when I bought my Cynergy, and turns out they are made by Briley. Be interesting to see how they compare to the invector pluses that came with the gun.
Briley and Trulock make a pile of OEM chokes , it's amazing just how many companies use them in fact.
As soon as I took a look at the Dehaans that i bought for my Bobwhite, I figured they were Trulocks - a quick phone call verified it.

I will NOT be using extended chokes on my Pedersoli hammer double however- just the thought of those Dehaans in my mini Bobwhite was enough to turn me off of them in a SXS!!

IMO extended chokes and SXS guns just do not go together!!
Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

I agree about SXS's and even O/U's. When I had my Beretta I bought a set of ext Brileys for it and they just didn't look right sticking out of the end.

My Cynergy is a camo one for waterfowling, so I'm not too offput by putting ext chokes in it. (although I still think they look kinda weird...if you can say that about an accessory for a cynergy camo O/U which is hardly a classic look!!)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the advice, boys.

I found a browning invector plus modified choke today, my understanding is that the browning and Winchester invector chokes are interchangeable, so that will hold me over until I can order some better ones.

Has anyone tried the Pattern Master chokes, the store I was at had one for Black Cloud ammo in a full choke but the info on it said it worked fine with steel shot from other manufactures as well. It wasn't cheap so I passed on it till I knew more about it?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM

I was just looking this choke tube over and it says lead-modified and steel-IM and it is made by Briley.

So I'm assuming because of the difference in density between steel and lead changes the compression which means a different designation on the choke?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
I was just looking this choke tube over and it says lead-modified and steel-IM and it is made by Briley.

So I'm assuming because of the difference in density between steel and lead changes the compression which means a different designation on the choke?
Lead compresses and steel doesn't , so you get a different result when both charges exit the barrel.
Cat
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned

Anyone into Muller's?

http://www.mullerchokes.com/
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Anyone into Muller's?

http://www.mullerchokes.com/
Oooh, maybe I should get all my get all my shotguns re threaded for Mullers, according to the add I'll be able to crush clays like never before- WAITAMINIT??!!

Cat
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Oooh, maybe I should get all my get all my shotguns re threaded for Mullers, according to the add I'll be able to crush clays like never before- WAITAMINIT??!!

Cat
I love those ads.

No skill required.... HA HA.

But Cat......Mullers are a hot item on the US Shotgun Sports site.

I will have to trt the CGN site.

The shotgun world lives on B.S. I love it.

There are still guys our age that think those High Brassed Imperials and Gevelots were a much better shotshell than all others.

Why? They figured gun powder was loaded all the way to the top of the brass level and that produced the "long range shell".

And you know Imperial Industries sort of marketed the shells that way.

I found those cheap commie shells to work just as good until Imperial Industries had Trudeau remove them.

Last edited by greylynx; 08-19-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 PM

I wasn't aware that C.I.L. marketed the Imperials like that , suggesting that the high brass had more "whatever" that a low brass shell, I thought it was more for identification!
Also wasn't aware that C.I.L. lobbied the Government to get rid of Gevelot in Canada.
Cat