Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 PM
Banned

Default Skinning Shack Tip - Pulled Tails

I meant to post this tip on earlier in the season but it hasn't happened to me in awhile.

Occasionally when I have a really tough tail to pull the entire bone pulls off the hide. I used to struggle with them using a tail stripper and a pair of pliers until someone showed me this. I attached an underwater beaver snare with an Adams lock to my wall where I'm skinning. That way it only takes me a few seconds to secure the tail bone, attach the tail stripper and lean back and strip the tail. Just a little tip to make life easier.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:57 AM
Banned

Good idea Hunter , The way I do it anymore is I cut about an inch and a half lengthwise slice down the tail before I try pulling and that makes it very easy to strip off.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM

thanks for the tip will try next time i have a problem
Old 03-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Good idea Hunter , The way I do it anymore is I cut about an inch and a half lengthwise slice down the tail before I try pulling and that makes it very easy to strip off.
Yeah, I do that as well but there's always some that the tail is still frozen or dried into the hide. The flesh on this coyote was kind of degraded and didn't skin like a fresh one. I had a bit of a problem with the flesh falling apart on that one leg too.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:10 AM

I have a 2 winches for skinning my second winch is only 3 feet away you could hang a cable from the roof near by same idea. Thanks for the tip anything that makes life easier
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Skinning shack tip #2

Keep your tools and skinning gear close to you. I have a small table within arms reach that has my tools. On it. I use havalon for straight cuts. Knife (stiff blade) for any work near bone or popping arm joints. Tail strippers tail stripper blunt nose pliers a smooth steel and a hammer.

The pilers are for the ear cartilage. I remove during the skinning process. The hammer is to beat the hide off that chest area between the front legs. ( some guys knick holes there with their knife). All tools are very easily accessed.

Hope it helps
Bill