Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Shed thread 2018

I figured I will give this a start exactly a year after the last year's thread was started (I am a few hours late, actually).

I have not been out enough to find anything and the last whitetail I saw was about two weeks ago. He was carrying full. Wish I met him during the season.

I saw some mulies today and they were all dressed as well.

So who is going to be the first one to post a pic?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 PM

So no one had found a shed yet. Really? I will try to get out this week for the first look. I would think after this cold stretch there has got to be one or two that have fallen off.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 PM

Seen a group of three Muley bucks yesterday Northern AB all still packing
Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 PM

few years ago by two hills it was march and mullies were still with full racks
Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 PM

Smile Sheds

Seems pretty early, but it’s starting to cross my mind. I pulled a few cameras today and everyone is still packing. I’m going to put the boots to the ground early March. Good luck guys! Can’t wait to see what gets posted.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM

We found a matching pair about 30 feet apart on Dec. 2 while Grouse hunting. Seemed incredibly early to have been shed, but they're in great condition. No chewing by rodents at all.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 AM

^ that’s good to know that everyone is still packing on camera, though I don’t know where you are.

Generally, mulies are the last ones to drop before elk. Well, not really because they start right about now (not many at all in my experience) and they continue all the way to spring. Whitetails, however, should have already started and will be dropping it fairly quickly from now on. Same goes for moose and they should be naked very soon if not already. No general rule though, just my experience.

Last year i have not found much at all and it was my worst year since I started. Hopefully this one will be better.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 AM

That’s awesome, alacringa! Way early for sure. Any blood on the bases?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
That’s awesome, alacringa! Way early for sure. Any blood on the bases?
No. That was the other thing that made me think they might have been a bit older.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Sheds

I do a fair bit of shed hunting and run 6 cameras all winter. The earliest I’ve ever found a fresh shed ( matched set) was on Boxing Day a few winters ago. That particular buck was not in good shape though, and didn’t make the winter, as I later found his remains. I don’t get to wound up till February but you never know. Good luck and I will keep you all posted with trailcam results.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Saw one buck that was completely shed yesterday, and the bigger buck had one antler left. They must be starting.

Spruce
Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Still packing around me, been anxiously waiting to cure the hunting hangover!!!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Default First elk of 2018

Found this one already. You can see from the base where it ripped out of his skull, he got caught in a 2x12 board fence and ripped his antler off and the fence apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171226_1545386.jpg (22.7 KB, 901 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Found this one already. You can see from the base where it ripped out of his skull, he got caught in a 2x12 board fence and ripped his antler off and the fence apart.
Crazy!
That one defiantly wasn't ready to drop
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM

His head probably feels like mine after New Year’s Eve lol
Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Ouch! Unfortunately, I think it goes without saying, you likely won't find the match. But best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Saw one buck that was completely shed yesterday, and the bigger buck had one antler left. They must be starting.

Spruce
Sounds about right. The bigger guys should have started dropping a week or even two ago now, in my area anyway. I will definitely try to get out on the weekend. The fields I was planning on walking through are unexpectedly empty. Took a quick drive today again and nothing but elk. Not many tracks either. Maybe I will hit the bush instead before we get new snow.
Quote:
Ouch, indeed! I wonder when that happens, do they grow a normal antler next year and henceforth or something weird?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
No. That was the other thing that made me think they might have been a bit older.
Yeah, probably from last year. Great find, nonetheless!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Found this in November.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 AM

Not many pronghorn sheaths found on this site, great find!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 AM

Still super early, the odd one will be dropped mostly due to being in bad condition. On the 12 cameras I have on baleyards for the winter only one buck dropped and that’s due to him having only 3 legs after what I’m assuming a bad shot this November. My best deer last year a 185 class buck held till April 17th. Leave the deer be and let them recover from this cold snap before chasin them around for no reason when there antlers are still firmly attached .
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Yea, i'm hoping to find the match but i'll be waiting until May before he drops that one most likely. I'm sure his head hurt for a long time, but better off then the alternative.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
Leave the deer be and let them recover from this cold snap before chasin them around for no reason when there antlers are still firmly attached .
Why would one chase the deer in the off season? It's not like you have to chase one and grab him by the antlers in order to get them off. Just go a for a walk, enjoy the day, give space to wildlife if encountered and see what is going for yourself.

On the other note, I saw at a great distance today what appeared to be a giant moose lying dead by the railroad. Pretty unfortunate if that's the case. Way too far to say for sure though even with a x10 binoculars. There is no way to get any closer to take a better look as that is the only place the spot is visible from. So I might walk the bush to get to that spot to check things out instead. Unless they actually clean them off somehow and it will be gone by the weekend. Does anyone know if they actually remove the dead wildlife that is lying off the rails? It's pretty far from any dwellings with tracks and bush being the only access.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Why would one chase the deer in the off season? It's not like you have to chase one and grab him by the antlers in order to get them off. Just go a for a walk, enjoy the day, give space to wildlife if encountered and see what is going for yourself.

On the other note, I saw at a great distance today what appeared to be a giant moose lying dead by the railroad. Pretty unfortunate if that's the case. Way too far to say for sure though even with a x10 binoculars. There is no way to get any closer to take a better look as that is the only place the spot is visible from. So I might walk the bush to get to that spot to check things out instead. Unless they actually clean them off somehow and it will be gone by the weekend. Does anyone know if they actually remove the dead wildlife that is lying off the rails? It's pretty far from any dwellings with tracks and bush being the only access.

by walking into the trees in the winter you are chasing them, many herds are stressed hard in winter feeding areas and pushing them out of bedding areas puts unneeded stress. Wait until all the antlers are dropped and walks will be more rewarded . my 2 cents anyways.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
by walking into the trees in the winter you are chasing them, many herds are stressed hard in winter feeding areas and pushing them out of bedding areas puts unneeded stress. Wait until all the antlers are dropped and walks will be more rewarded . my 2 cents anyways.
x2
I just keep watching the feeding areas for now. Start walking bedding areas about end of March.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Seen a mulie walking a block away from main street camrose on Jan 3rd with a couple of his buddies. He had just shed cuz he had blood frozen down the side of his face and his buddies were still packing their 2 and three year old racks. I was 20 feet away and had a good look so the odd one must be dropping. He was scruffy but big and healthy.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:29 AM

I found 2 whitetail sheds yesterday...a small 3-pt by the remnants of the farmer's grain pile and the second one in a bale yard...tangled in and solidly stuck in baler twine (I tried to show a pic from my cellphone here but no success getting the pic to upload!?!?)
One of my neighbours also found a matched set from a 155" 10-pt wt in his bale yard last week. And on December 14th, I found an old buck that had just been taken down by wolves...he had just shed...nothing but 2 bloody divots on his head.
For the most part, they're just starting here to drop here in the northwest part of the province...most are still packing. I had 8 bucks feeding in my yard yesterday, ranging from 1.5 to 4.5 yrs...they were all still carrying...
But they have started...
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Found this beauty on January 2nd!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4692.jpg (47.9 KB, 758 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Dang Man a nice freshie!

Was it near Calgary? I havent seen any bucks with dropped antlers yet this far south
Old 01-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Found this in November.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I’ve got a couple of those kicking around somewhere, found them about 10 yrs. ago.