Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Lightbulb Trapper recipes

Do any of you real bushmen ( I mean personkind or er ahhh ummm bushpersons) have and recipes for your trapped animals?

I hear guys eating lynx, bobcat, squirrel beaver even muskrat. What's good what's bad what should be in everyone's freezer? ( Yes I know I said eating beaver for you childish minded folks )

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Banned

Bill I have eaten squirrel, muskrat, beaver, pigeons , starlings, sparrows, freshwater crayfish.Rabbit heads and tongues, bone marrow, Frogs. pig testicles and beef . IT is ALL good , ! Would not hesitate to do again . Brain is really delicious on home made bread.In fact i just had squirrel two months ago , and my dog loves it also!
I am not keen on any cat , I cant get the smell out of my mind !
Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Par do you have a specific go to recipe for each 1. Or just Montreal steak spice on each of them?
Old 03-15-2018, 05:34 PM

With small game there can be glands that a person must remove. Muskrat and squirrel glands will come off with the skin. With a whole roasting beaver there are the castor glands and also the oil glands to remove.

Muskrat is best to eat in May. Some say there is less wild taste in colder weather. Soak the carcass in salted water overnight and then boil until tender. A little vinegar also reduces the "wild" taste and tends to make the meat more tender. A pinch of baking soda may be used for the same purpose. Could be roasted in the oven after soaking too. Sort of tastes like what a slough might taste like or like some ducks. Onion and sage go well. Here is a website with several recipes for muskrat.
https://archive.org/stream/recipesfo...9dozi_djvu.txt

Beaver...Don't eat fresh beaver as it is very laxative. Let it rest for a day or two, refrigerated. Parboil the beaver in water to get rid of the grease. You can boil until tender to your liking or roast in the oven. The best I've tasted was hung up over a bed of coals. You put a wire through the nose and a wire thru the rump. The wires are to hang the beaver quite high over the coals by. Flip the beaver every hour and let it roast to your liking. It is good if you can suspend the beaver on a single wire on a tripod over the coals. The heat of the coals makes the beaver spin while it roasts. You can roast the tail by itself on the coals too. Blister the outer skin and then peel it off. No real meat on it but more like grizzle with grease. We just used salt and pepper. It's up to your taste buds.

Squirrel, always be sure to check the liver and innards to make sure the squirrel is healthy. Squirrels can carry tularemia. Cook really well done.
Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil and canola oil, add butter and brown meat well (about 20 min). Put squirrel in baking dish and pour contents of skillet over meat. Bake for one hour at 375°F. Garlic goes good.

Black current jam or berries goes well with most small game wild meats.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-15-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM

I've always heard beaver was good to eat :
Old 03-15-2018, 09:16 PM

Thanks red that's the gold I'm looking for. Please anyone else please post.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 PM

When I cooked on the reserve a guy brought in a beaver for me to cook. It was kind of a test to see if i could skin a beaver, I gave the guy back his nicely handled hide.one of the gals brought the beaver to her mom who smoked it (after flattening it with an ax) then I stewed it...it was quite nice handled like that. The broken bones from flattening were a bit "rustic" but it was nice to eat anyway.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Neighbor told me and his wife ate gophers once a week. My buddy and I thought why not give it a try. We shot about 25 and saved the hind quarters. Battered them with shake and bake and cooked them in the oven. Tasted awesome will be eating them again. Might even bring some to our ATA local pot luck.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 AM

Hey Bill9044... I suggest you go to one of the wild meat banquets various F&G clubs put on. They usually have such things as mentioned to try.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-16-2018, 09:37 AM

I recently was in Calgary at the sacree f&g banquet. I attend every year. Excellent bear ham and there was a cougar stir fry. Very good. They only have big game species for dinner. There is a fellow on the YouTube called meat trapper and he only traps beaver for meat. We have a larger diversity of animals. And we have real creative bush men in this province. So I was curious.

The meat trappers recipe was for beaver burgers. Grind your beaver meat grind up bacon ends and mix make your patties and bbq. He says they are great. I'll try it this spring and I'll update.

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Par do you have a specific go to recipe for each 1. Or just Montreal steak spice on each of them?
No my friend ! I always fried in butter salt and pepper,
The boys in the inter lake in Manitoba , boil theirs with spices
Till meat gets soft and eat that way