Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Default Calling Lake

Anyone know conditions at Calling lake? Snow, drifts, heaves, drivability Etc? Planning a trip this weekend and always good to do a little recon on current lake conditions. Any info is appreciated. Cheers.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 PM

I would like to know aswell, but I guess I will hit it this weekend report or not.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 PM

I was out there today, maybe 10" of snow on the ice with some deeper drifts. We drove in from the provincial park and went to the West side of the lake, near VW Point. There is a pressure ridge just South of the point that is running off to the NE, somebody else had already found a path over it and we followed their trail. We were out in a Jeep, 4-low for most of the drive, but should be no problem if you have good tires.
Fish were biting when the sun started going down, but kept spitting out the hook when we'd get them near the hole. Guess we need more practice! Best of luck
Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM

How much ice?
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM

How much ice at calling really? 20 inches plus
Old 01-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Didn't measure it, I would say about 16-18"
Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 PM

"Fish were biting when the sun started going down, but kept spitting out the hook when we'd get them near the hole."

Safe bet you hooked into some Ling. No real fight coming up, but at the hole they ball up and when you pull straight up to get the head in the hole, the hook pops out.

If you see its a ling, you have a fighting chance if you are patient until it straightens out, then start working it in the hole little by little.

Drewski
Old 01-22-2020, 09:07 PM

Well that's good info to know Drewski, cause it happened 4-5 times in a row. And I've been hunting burbs too! Now I really need to go back to try again lol
Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
"Fish were biting when the sun started going down, but kept spitting out the hook when we'd get them near the hole."

Safe bet you hooked into some Ling. No real fight coming up, but at the hole they ball up and when you pull straight up to get the head in the hole, the hook pops out.

If you see its a ling, you have a fighting chance if you are patient until it straightens out, then start working it in the hole little by little.

Drewski
I would have to agree with you, they usually feel like dead weight. Once they get anywhere near the hole they twist and peel line.
If you manage to hook into a 5-8lbs or more you’re in for a pretty exciting fight.

Finn
Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Ling Season is just around the corner for ALL Alberta Lakes!!!

Gull Lake used to be fantastic for Ling but they were not very big.

Funny part is the smaller ones gave up a fair amount of meat and it is VERY Tasty.

Drewski
Old 01-25-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabulon View Post
I was out there today, maybe 10" of snow on the ice with some deeper drifts. We drove in from the provincial park and went to the West side of the lake, near VW Point. There is a pressure ridge just South of the point that is running off to the NE, somebody else had already found a path over it and we followed their trail. We were out in a Jeep, 4-low for most of the drive, but should be no problem if you have good tires.
Fish were biting when the sun started going down, but kept spitting out the hook when we'd get them near the hole. Guess we need more practice! Best of luck
Sharper hooks.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:16 PM

How is the deeper part of the lake been fishing the last few years? Always had success with whitefish and want to try again.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:31 AM

Was out on Sunday, just thought I’d report on the conditions. Fishing for us was slow. Guys are still driving on the lake but it’s definitely getting tougher. Good tires/ 4*4 and some clearance is a must. Flood water on the south west side in patches.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:34 PM

Winds were gusting to 70 km / hr on Saturday night. South and East shore is badly drifted in. Drifts are very hard along the shore as well.

Travel in pairs as it is very easy to high center and you may need a pull backwards, or just take a skidoo.

But that goes for pretty much all the northern lakes after this weekend.

Drewski
Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 AM

We were out Tuesday. Lots of trucks out by the PP. 4 wheel drive needed. There are lots of tracks to follow so you are fine if you follow them. Fishing was very slow
Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 AM

I was out 2 weeks ago and was starting to see a decent amount of floodwater a few km past the boat launch. Has anyone else seen or had trouble ?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
I was out 2 weeks ago and was starting to see a decent amount of floodwater a few km past the boat launch. Has anyone else seen or had trouble ?
Had no trouble with the F3Fiddy... last saturday.... but if going solo and staying late ... id recommend chains
Old 02-06-2020, 10:09 AM

We were out a couple weekends back, fishing was very good. Caught several nice eyes including one around 7-8 lbs, a couple big pikeincluding one about 18 lbs, and several burbs. Getting around wasn't too bad but there are a couple of frost heaves and some of the truck tracks are so rutted out you're better off making your own trail. Flood water was starting to come in pretty badly at the hump. Beyond there should be snowmobile access only at this point. VW point was good but getting there is the dilemma. If you want to fish near the PP you should be fine.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
We were out a couple weekends back, fishing was very good. Caught several nice eyes including one around 7-8 lbs, a couple big pikeincluding one about 18 lbs, and several burbs. Getting around wasn't too bad but there are a couple of frost heaves and some of the truck tracks are so rutted out you're better off making your own trail. Flood water was starting to come in pretty badly at the hump. Beyond there should be snowmobile access only at this point. VW point was good but getting there is the dilemma. If you want to fish near the PP you should be fine.
Great info on the travel conditions, thanks!

Sounds like you caught some beauties. Congrats!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM

ALOT changed Last Saturday.

The wind was steady late into the night and at times 70 - 80 km gusts.

by the AM, it was hard packed drifts all along the south and east side.

Not saying the right truck with the right driver cannot get through. Just saying it would take a very high lifted truck with very good tires, and a driver willing to dig and put on tire chains to get to where he wants to go.

Too old for that stuff myself, and I have spent too many hours digging out stuck vehicles to go looking for trouble.

Now with the melt happening, the fun factor will only get worse.

But then again, the Good Lord Sure Hates a Coward!!!!

Drewski
Old 02-06-2020, 07:46 PM

Flood water we encountered was along the shore to the west of the pp, probably 2-3km down the shoreline. Maybe 2-4” of water.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Flood water we encountered was along the shore to the west of the pp, probably 2-3km down the shoreline. Maybe 2-4” of water.
Was there Tuesday. Did not see any water at PP area. Did not see any truck tracks going to Volkswagen area.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Was there Tuesday. Did not see any water at PP area. Did not see any truck tracks going to Volkswagen area.
Sorry to clarify, flood water started 2-3km west of pp. and we took sleds. This was Saturday.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Sorry to clarify, flood water started 2-3km west of pp. and we took sleds. This was Saturday.
I was there saturday and went west of prov..... i was the big newer Stone Grey ( goldish brown)) F350 followed by a friend in a white f250

We only hit a few small patches of floodwater
Old 02-07-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
We trucked ot out to VW point... i stayed till last light... by then the winds and blowing snow were so bad any tracks i recently made were blown in like they never existed
Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Anyone heading out to calling lake tomorrow?

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-08-2020, 03:08 PM

I went out last Sunday to VW point and spent the night in the tent, I drove out there in my Jeep with all terrains and didn't have much trouble. There was a trail when I drove out there, patches had water in the tracks but I made it through. Crossed over a few pressure ridges to get out there. Frosty night in the tent, it got to -22 that night! Caught two pike and two walleye, one in the slot size at 51-52cm, skinny though

Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 PM

That's a good sized male walleye or a sick female. 49 to 50cm.put the tape at the front of the snout not in front of the snout.!! Nice catch thanks for posting. The snow wasn't too bad for the Jeep out there? Crazy wind today further south. Gonna harden up that snow big time.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:18 PM

Ice was pretty darn thick and a wack ton of snow today. Drove Jeep Wrangler 4low and locked front and rear axles with all terrains. Still felt like i was sinking everywhere.

Caught tons of fish. They were extremely aggressive. Wife was trying to catch perch so she was using a small tungsten and maggots with 4# line. She caught a 25” walleye on it. Caught a couple keepers. Took 1 home for dinner tomorrow.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-10-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
That's a good sized male walleye or a sick female. 49 to 50cm.put the tape at the front of the snout not in front of the snout.!! Nice catch thanks for posting. The snow wasn't too bad for the Jeep out there? Crazy wind today further south. Gonna harden up that snow big time.
That's a male. Great fillets out of that fish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk