Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 09:19 PM

Default Last fish of 2019

Back in AB for the new year. This was a 5 pound 2 ounce whitefish caught on the on an orange wire worm with an orange glass bead that i tied years ago. Slept in till 10 am, got to the ice by noon and in 30 min had the first hit, but got off. Then another one hit the jigging jaw jacker but missed the hookset. Then at 330 pm this one stuck and landed it. No more bites after till dark at 530 pm when we left. Good to be back on the ice. Be careful out there, ice was around 10 to 11.5 inches with some water on the ice in places near cracks. The truck stayed afloat.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. Thanks for all the support this year in 2019. Polishing off some 2018 sockeye for dinner. Will save the white till next year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 PM

That looks delicious

BW
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 PM

Tried for a last fish of '19 today, but they all wanted to live till 2020.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:14 PM

Nice job brando.! Thanks for the glimmer of hope. Beauty fish. Pretty sad that a guy gets excited about a big ol greasy white but that's a great speciman no matter how you look at it. Happy new year
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Nice job brando.! Thanks for the glimmer of hope. Beauty fish. Pretty sad that a guy gets excited about a big ol greasy white but that's a great speciman no matter how you look at it. Happy new year
Thanks. There are still fish around but definitely a lot of food suspended right now. We had water beetles coming up out of our holes like crazy. I never get sad about any fish. They all make me excited. I dont fish for whitefish often and it was nice to actually put something on the ice today. Tomorrow we will try again and maybe get a little earlier start. Best of luck for 2020.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I target them specifically. Is there anything you don't continually complain about? Sad that you can't even enjoy a fish or let someone enjoy a great catch...

Nice fatty Brandon! Good stuff.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I target them specifically. Is there anything you don't continually complain about? Sad that you can't even enjoy a fish or let someone enjoy a great catch...

Nice fatty Brandon! Good stuff.
your sense of perception is way off....go back to bed. Read the post.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
your sense of perception is way off....go back to bed. Read the post.
No, pretty much nailed it.

Great day out today! One of those days you step outside and seemed exceptionally quiet. Great weather to go with it. Met some nice people on the ice today.

What did you do, stew at your keyboard and cry about the state of our fisheries?
Old 01-01-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
No, pretty much nailed it.

Great day out today! One of those days you step outside and seemed exceptionally quiet. Great weather to go with it. Met some nice people on the ice today.

What did you do, stew at your keyboard and cry about the state of our fisheries?
No I work for a living. Go catch your walleye and throw it back down the hole. You da man.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
No I work for a living. Go catch your walleye and throw it back down the hole. You da man.
McDonalds open new years day huh? Hope you didn't burn yourself on the grill.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
McDonalds open new years day huh? Hope you didn't burn yourself on the grill.
Bahaha.... if you only knew....get your mommy to change your diaper sour puss. How many whites you catch this year out of your well managed lakes? Perch? Pike? Happy new year Rachel.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Bahaha.... if you only knew....get your mommy to change your diaper sour puss. How many whites you catch this year out of your well managed lakes? Perch? Pike? Happy new year Rachel.
Going just fine

Lots of great opportunities out there. Just have to get off your arse.

Sorry about your luck and your crap attitude.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 PM

Default Video for this Day of Fishing

First video of the year coincides with this post earier.

https://youtu.be/3zMI_JJzXhk

Video description:

Welcome back to my first Ice fishing Video of 2020, out on the ice in search of Jumbo Whitefish. I believe this was actually fishing the Last day of 2019, but will be the first of this year. Hopefully many more to come. I know this technique is catching on more all the time and has even showed up in another video before which I'll post the link right here.

https://youtu.be/SPWov1kJZr8

So what are we going to do? Go fishing for Whitefish with Jaw Jackers! Last video we were fishing in about 6 feet of water. This video we are fishing way out in the middle of the lake in 26 feet of water. No specific structure, just out in the middle of the basin. I am not an experienced whitefish angler by any means and anything I try has been thanks to some tips from a few guys who are a whole lot better than me at targeting them. So even though I don't know a whole lots we went out and hung different colors of wire worms, three per line at various depths through the water column. Unfortunately where we were set up there just were not very many fish cruising through. It does seem that the odd one would come by and hit. We missed two and caught this 5 pound 2 ounce whitefish. I haven't really weighed many whitefish, but I am pretty sure this is the biggest one I have ever caught. I wish we could have landed a few more for the video, but we will take what we get. Usually no fish equals no video.

Thanks for watching as always and I hope you have some success this ice season if you head out after whitefish. Don't forget your Jaw Jacker at home!

Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 PM

Nice vids! And nice whites! Sure gets the blood pumping. There are days out there I wish I would have made a video
Old 01-23-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Nice vids! And nice whites! Sure gets the blood pumping. There are days out there I wish I would have made a video
I know. I have been told the stories and I wish I could experience one of those days. Maybe some day in the future. I think the numbers are hurting with the Algae blooms though. Hard on the white populations.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I know. I have been told the stories and I wish I could experience one of those days. Maybe some day in the future. I think the numbers are hurting with the Algae blooms though. Hard on the white populations.
The Algae blooms don’t kill off the Whitefish it’s the water temp and lack of oxygen that does (Algae blooms contribute to those conditions certainly).

Too bad as there were/are some bruisers in there proof on the beauty you guys caught. Great fighters too.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The Algae blooms don’t kill off the Whitefish it’s the water temp and lack of oxygen that does (Algae blooms contribute to those conditions certainly).

Too bad as there were/are some bruisers in there proof on the beauty you guys caught. Great fighters too.
Yup I thought that was obvious. If I hold your head under water you died from lack of oxygen. The water was the medium that prevented you from getting the oxygen. The same potato, tomato thing.

If the Algae Blooms were not as significant would not the fish survive better? You have to be careful what you say here because we should always call a spade a spade. The condition of Alberta lakes have deteriorated with high nutrient run off from agriculture resulting in larger algae blooms and weed growth which contributes to summer kill and winter kill respectively. Sure summer kill is from high temps and low oxygen and winter kill is from low oxygen... but why? Rhetorical question of course.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Yup I thought that was obvious.

have to be careful what you say here because

but why? Rhetorical question of course.
Might be obvious to you or I but perhaps not others hence is why I provided further explanation as the Algae Blooms that you are referring to are actually Cyanobacteria Blooms and they produce toxins that can kill humans and animals. But it is when these blooms die they decay and that decay in turn requires the use of oxygen and that combined with the higher water water temps that hold less concentrations of oxygen (as compared to cold water which Whitefish require) and you have a die off.

One might just conclude that it is Algae and its not, or it is the toxins from the Cyanobacteria Blooms killing the fish but its not, that is why it's primarily only Whitefish washing up on shore not the other fish species as the other species in the lake can tolerate lower oxygen concentrations. Also is why Whitefish are primarily found north of the 49th parallel... cooler water.

That's why... so be careful

Also a tomato is a fruit a potato is not.

Last edited by Penner; 01-25-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You gotta change your diet...if I puked like that I would go to the ER....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Might be obvious to you or I but perhaps not others hence is why I provided further explanation as the Algae Blooms that you are referring to are actually Cyanobacteria Blooms and they produce toxins that can kill humans and animals. But it is when these blooms die they decay and that decay in turn requires the use of oxygen and that combined with the higher water water temps that hold less concentrations of oxygen (as compared to cold water which Whitefish require) and you have a die off.

One might just conclude that it is Algae and its not, or it is the toxins from the Cyanobacteria Blooms killing the fish but its not, that is why it's primarily only Whitefish washing up on shore not the other fish species as the other species in the lake can tolerate lower oxygen concentrations. Also is why Whitefish are primarily found north of the 49th parallel... cooler water.

That's why... so be careful

Also a tomato is a fruit a potato is not.
I didnt know who you were educating. In type it's difficult to assess if you're linear or sarcastic.

Do you know what Root Cause Analysis is?

Yes at the very end of the line whitefish are dying because of the bacterial aerobic respiration depleting oxygen. The culture medium is still the algae.

I can tell you don't fill out many death certificates, haha. How young are you? You don't know the Potato/potato, tomatoe/tomatoe saying?

Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM

No algae blooms where i fish...and its been a tough whitefish year.
At least I got tomato's and potatoes to eat...
Old 01-25-2020, 12:25 PM

But the jigging jacker has outfished me about 4 to 1..haha
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post

Haha, good point.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I agree. But it has always been tough.

It is funny on the Jigging JJ, I have never, ever caught a thing on it yet. Seems to bring whites in but they lose interest. I usually have it on the least jigging wheel.

I love sight fishing so the 2nd hole I'm holding a rod in and prefer it. I usually bring the hooks up after I mark a fish and entice it up to where I can see it. Usually within 10-15 feet down. Nothing like watching a huge white come in and working the hooks to get it to bite. Adrenalin rush every time!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I agree. But it has always been tough.

It is funny on the Jigging JJ, I have never, ever caught a thing on it yet. Seems to bring whites in but they lose interest. I usually have it on the least jigging wheel.

I love sight fishing so the 2nd hole I'm holding a rod in and prefer it. I usually bring the hooks up after I mark a fish and entice it up to where I can see it. Usually within 10-15 feet down. Nothing like watching a huge white come in and working the hooks to get it to bite. Adrenalin rush every time!
Opposite for me so far this year... for hook ups between me and the jigger, its outfished me slightly but I've had more hits on it than the line I'm holding.
I'm using the tooth wheel.
I attribute it to the jigger not knowing the fish is about to strike and it doesn't set the hook too soon..