Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Line color

Do you guys bother with line colors? I'm fishing with light green braided and never change it really. I also fish with a 12" leader, as I mostly look for pike.

If I go to a trout lake, I keep the same setup. Am I setting myself for failure by doing this?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 PM

I once bought a spool of red "Cajun" line.
I've never been so consistently out-fished. The whole summer, and during the ice season as well.
Now I mostly use green braid. And if it happens to be hi-visibility green braid, I darken a couple of feet after the lure with a sharpie.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

I pay little attention to color since I'm almost always running a fluorocarbon leader anyways.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
If I go to a trout lake, I keep the same setup. Am I setting myself for failure by doing this?
I would definitely take the wire leader off for trout. Only takes two seconds to tie it back on when you go to a pike lake.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I would definitely take the wire leader off for trout. Only takes two seconds to tie it back on when you go to a pike lake.
Yes,

I can do that. I'm not the most experienced fisherman. I learned to fish in the NWT, where pikes attack everything, so it was a little too easy.

Last edited by Delavan; 04-22-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Yes,

I can do that. I'm not the most experienced fisherman. I learned to fish in the NWT, where pikes attack everything, so it was a little too easy.
Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Banned

Fish don't see colours unless they drop Acid.

I've got some land for sale BTW.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:23 AM

I really like using a high vis braid as my main line, especially when jigging.

I always use a 2-6 ft leader of fluorocarbon. It's nearly invisible under water, almost no stretch, pretty abrasion resistant, and WAY easier than braid to re-tie knots when changing jigs.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Like others have said, use whatever colour you want but be sure to have a fluorocarbon leader for 5-6'

My go to line is Suffix 832 in moss green or ghost. I do have some high viz yellow Power Pro on a couple reels but it isn't my favourite. Nothing to do with the colour. Just seems to wear out faster than the Suffix.

If you are using wire leaders, I also strongly suggest getting some titanium leaders. Pricey, but they don't kink like the cheap wire ones. I've used one leader for a couple seasons of heavy fishing.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-23-2017, 11:02 AM

In most of our central Alberta prairie waters line colour in my opinion isn't as big of a factor it is on mountain streams, clear water lakes up in the lakeland, lakes/streams in banff/jasper, or in BC. But get into real trout waters or pressured walleye/pike lakes and not only the line colour but also line thickness makes a world of difference. As an example the wrong line type on the Bow river can make the difference between catching a fish every other cast to being skunked.

One may want to consider other factors such as feel, cast-a-bility, stretch, and buoyancy. Fluorocarbon may be less reflective but it is not the best performer for these other important factors.

I have spare spools a plenty spooled up differently for these reasons.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:32 AM

I used to use the dark green braids.

I've recently switched to the Ghost colored Suffix 832 braid - I like how easy it is to see when bouncing a jig off bottom. The white shows up great as compared with green or dark colors where you have to strain to see the line.

Like others stated above, I use a 3 to 5 foot flouro leader.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM

I run Power Pro high Vis Yellow for trolling (downrigger and dipsy) or pulling planer boards. Watching the line angle is important sometimes.

I always run a fluorocarbon leader for every species - so it can be glow in the dark as far the fish I catch are concerned (unless the fish are on LSD like one reader mentioned).
Old 04-24-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I run Power Pro high Vis Yellow for trolling (downrigger and dipsy) or pulling planer boards. Watching the line angle is important sometimes.

I always run a fluorocarbon leader for every species - so it can be glow in the dark as far the fish I catch are concerned (unless the fish are on LSD like one reader mentioned).
Are those fluorocarbon leaders tough enough to fish for pike? I mean the sharp teeth chewing line portion?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

I tried the red line that power pro makes, and I liked it ok. I could see it a bit.

I don't bother with any type of leader,

Either direct tie or use a swivel.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Are those fluorocarbon leaders tough enough to fish for pike? I mean the sharp teeth chewing line portion?
Just need to go up in weight is all. I have a spool of 60lb seagar that I use for pike leaders but 60lbs is probably overkill.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
There is flourocarbon fishing line and flourocarbon leader material. They are different. Use the leader material. I have used 50 lb with lots of success for my tip ups. Check for nicks in it after fish.

Last edited by Warmbreeze; 04-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 PM

I prefer titanium leader for pike but you can use 50+ lb fluoro leader material.

For trout and walleye just use fluoro line as a leader material. I use 8 lb, if I want smaller diameter I use 8 lb fluoro tippet.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default Thanks, Charley

I won a prize (mega)pack containing some very nice tackle and fishing gear recently that included Seaguar 50# leader material and 25# Knot2Kinky titanium/nickel leader wire.

Both are some tricky when learning to tie knots with it. Good thing it was free considering all the string I've wasted!

Knowing a Double Uni or Albreight knot is fundamental fishing technique. Leader size and length are critical components to your terminal tackle choice. In my experience the mainline can be any color you choose to pay for but choosing the right size is, again, critical to your technique.

Free
Old 04-25-2017, 07:40 AM

Regarding colour some people prefer high visibility lines when fishing in conditions where they want to know where their lure is.

I personally am torn on this. Fish obviously can see these high visibility lines(as well as the duller greens, browns etc).

If I am fishing fast flashy/active lures like a spoon, rapala etc I don't think it matters that much because the fish will key in on that lure and probably won't notice the line up ahead of it.

If I am fishing dirtier water I especially don't worry about the line colour.

However if I am fishing clearer water for spooky species or if I am fishing a slow or stationary technique then I think it is key to use non visible line or a long leader. Some guys just tie on a 2 foot leader but I don't think that is enough, if a fish is going to bite your lure with 2 feet of fluoro leader then they would probably just as likely bite it with no leader. When I fish in these situations I like to have a 5-6 ft leader and in some situations I am considering going to much longer one to test my theory out.

Most bass professionals use fluoro mainline for their finesse presentations, part of the reason is visibility. I just don't like fluoro/mono mainline so I prefer the braid and leader but I do think a longer leader could be key in some situations.

Obviously when you are talking about this level of fish pickiness it usually isn't a big deal though. I used to catch a number of fish with no leader on my braid, using a fluoro leader does improve catch rate but only slightly and making these other minor changes will help you catch those super picky fish but there are also lots of not picky fish in most lakes/rivers that this sort of presentation is unnecessary for.

Same argument can be made for fluoro leader instead of titanium/steel for pike. If using a spoon/rapala I don't think it is important at all but if you slow things down so that picky fish can investigate your presentation then fluoro could be important in order to catch some fish.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM

I was watching a show the other day on WFN and there was a tip that one guy said he does for braid. He takes a big sharpie and colours the first few feet of his line black to make it "invisible" instead of using a fluorocarbon leader. It was for bass flippin in heavy cover but should apply to all situations where you want braid and no fluorocarbon leader.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely.

I use 80lb fluorocarbon leader material - not just fluorocarbon fishing line and have had ZERO bite offs in the last 10 years.

I fish at least 40 maybe 60 days a year and on many days I land 40-50 pike at my local lake.

I'm not a math expert - but that sounds like lots of fish and lots of real life testing.

I am 100% confident in fluorocarbon leader*** material.

***Keep in mind there is a distinction between fluorocarbon LEADER material and fluorocarbon fishing line. It's not the same stuff. Many people don't understand that.

There were a few people who posted results far less impressive - but when asked what pound test or what brand they used it was discovered, in many cases, they were not using leader material OR were using too light of leader material in many cases. They were unaware of this important distinction.

I use 80lb Fluorocarbon Leader Material. Berkley Big Game if I can find it.

http://www.basstastic.co.uk/berkley-...der-2835-p.asp

It's more flexible compared to steel leaders, it won't kink, it won't cut your hand if you grab the leader to try and bring a thrashing pike along side of the boat to remove the hook, it's invisible under water which leads to more strikes, it's far more supple allowing lures (particular crank baits) to swim as designed and it can be customised to the size/length you want and you can use exactly the swivels or swivel snaps you want to use.

Also - to go with that leader material .....

Good, performance (break strength) rated, positive locking terminal tackle like swivel snaps and swivels is very important (but we will save that for another thread).

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkl...s/1285565.html

Fluorocarbon is the only way to go for my leaders. I haven't used steel in years and haven't ever wished I did.

I love it. Better than freaking chocolate cake.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

Same argument can be made for fluoro leader instead of titanium/steel for pike. If using a spoon/rapala I don't think it is important at all but if you slow things down so that picky fish can investigate your presentation then fluoro could be important in order to catch some fish.
I'd agree. When you are trolling (or retrieving your lure) at 3 mph and a pike explodes out of the weeds he's not investigating your leader - he's just freaking crazy exited about that tasty shinny thing NOM NOM NOM.

On the other hand, slow presentations, especially under the ice and watching the pike with a camera for hours and hours ..... sometimes these pike are circling, studying, staring at your presentation carefully (almost intelligently) and it's then you see a big difference in low visibility versus a highly visible steel cable.

Some of these pike look smarter than many girls I dated in my younger years - and are just about as good looking.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'd agree. When you are trolling (or retrieving your lure) at 3 mph and a pike explodes out of the weeds he's not investigating your leader - he's just freaking crazy exited about that tasty shinny thing NOM NOM NOM.

On the other hand, slow presentations, especially under the ice and watching the pike with a camera for hours and hours ..... sometimes these pike are circling, studying, staring at your presentation carefully (almost intelligently) and it's then you see a big difference in low visibility versus a highly visible steel cable.

Some of these pike look smarter than many girls I dated in my younger years - and are just about as good looking.
Yep agreed. I don't bother with fluorocarbon in the summer but in the winter I wouldn't use anything but fluoro for pike. Pike always amaze me by how they can either be savage predators striking as soon as they see the lure/bait or else being extremely picky and taking long periods of time to decide whether or not they are going to bite.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM

......and if not interested in making up your own and want to get something off the shelf for toothy critters you can a,ways look at a few of these. Currently in sale at C.T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0841.jpg (32.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Thanks all!
I'm learning a lot around here! I'll look for fluoro LEADER -type material!

and I'll also read a bit on knots...I lost a nice lure by using the wrong knot on braided lol ( a cyclop).

But the best one was when I was flashing a nice 3 1/2" Ruby eye wiggler spoon in front of the wife and bragging about my good throws...I showed off and the darn thing detached from the line...gone.
This is why I'm ready about knots now lol.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks all!
I'm learning a lot around here! I'll look for fluoro LEADER -type material!

and I'll also read a bit on knots...I lost a nice lure by using the wrong knot on braided lol ( a cyclop).

But the best one was when I was flashing a nice 3 1/2" Ruby eye wiggler spoon in front of the wife and bragging about my good throws...I showed off and the darn thing detached from the line...gone.
This is why I'm ready about knots now lol.
It's not your knot tying,
A guy showing off for women usually ends in failure.

Besides losing lures is a built in justification to replace and buy new ones.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM

Default road winkworth

haha!

I was lucky to buy quite a few lures from the Wal-mart liquidation stuff in both Med Hat and Wainwright...wife was not amused when she realized I bought multiple times the same lures...just because.