Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Default High School Outdoor Ed trip

I am a high school teacher in Lethbridge, and a while ago our school started an outdoor ed program. Three years ago I took 14 students on a week long canoe trip into the Lakeland Provincial Park. The students had such a great time and talked about it so much that their younger siblings have been bugging me since then to do the trip again....and I finally gave in. We plan on going into the bush during the first week of July this coming summer...although this time I had 20 students sign up. YIKES.

A lot of the students that I took on the trip the first time three years ago either had never even caught a fish, or had very limited fishing experience (and therefore limited fishing gear). In order to keep the trip affordable for any kids that wanted to go, I posted an appeal for fishing gear on this forum. Some of the AO members contributed generously to my appeal : fishing rods, lures, line, spinner rigs....so much gear. I was blown away, as were the kids with the generosity of strangers. As you can imagine though, not all of the tackle that I "lent" out to the rookies came back....many a pike was swimming around Kinnard lake with a crankbait hanging out of it's mouth after it broke the line because the drag was set too high

Three years ago, in part because of the generosity of some of you, our trip was a huge success, so I am hoping that history repeats itself. If you have fishing gear that you would be willing to part with, I'm sure that we could use it. We will take anything that you think would be useful for the students as they fish for pike and walleye on a northern lake - spoons, crankbaits, swimbaits, rubber tailed jigs, mouth spreaders, landing nets, pliers.....quite frankly, pretty much anything for fishing.

I am in Lethbridge, but I have family in Edmonton, High River and St. Paul, so if you have gear to donate, there will probably be a way for me to snooker someone into getting it to me. Thanks for your time. I will post a report when the trip is over (just like last time).

Cheers,
Pike fisher
Old 04-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Perhaps talk to a local outdoors store to work in partnership with you, I remember doing perhaps that exact trip back in high school and it was a blast so I commend you on giving those kids the opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike fisher View Post
I am a high school teacher in Lethbridge, and a while ago our school started an outdoor ed program. Three years ago I took 14 students on a week long canoe trip into the Lakeland Provincial Park. The students had such a great time and talked about it so much that their younger siblings have been bugging me since then to do the trip again....and I finally gave in. We plan on going into the bush during the first week of July this coming summer...although this time I had 20 students sign up. YIKES.

A lot of the students that I took on the trip the first time three years ago either had never even caught a fish, or had very limited fishing experience (and therefore limited fishing gear). In order to keep the trip affordable for any kids that wanted to go, I posted an appeal for fishing gear on this forum. Some of the AO members contributed generously to my appeal : fishing rods, lures, line, spinner rigs....so much gear. I was blown away, as were the kids with the generosity of strangers. As you can imagine though, not all of the tackle that I "lent" out to the rookies came back....many a pike was swimming around Kinnard lake with a crankbait hanging out of it's mouth after it broke the line because the drag was set too high

Three years ago, in part because of the generosity of some of you, our trip was a huge success, so I am hoping that history repeats itself. If you have fishing gear that you would be willing to part with, I'm sure that we could use it. We will take anything that you think would be useful for the students as they fish for pike and walleye on a northern lake - spoons, crankbaits, swimbaits, rubber tailed jigs, mouth spreaders, landing nets, pliers.....quite frankly, pretty much anything for fishing.

I am in Lethbridge, but I have family in Edmonton, High River and St. Paul, so if you have gear to donate, there will probably be a way for me to snooker someone into getting it to me. Thanks for your time. I will post a report when the trip is over (just like last time).

Cheers,
Pike fisher
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM

I'm in, sounds like a worthwhile adventure!
Cat
Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 PM

I'm in Lethbridge, I'll try to put some stuff (lures) together for you. I'll keep in touch.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:15 PM

Also in Lethbridge. Will also put together some stuff for you.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the promising feedback so far guys, and to those of you that pm'd me with offers of gear and ideas. The more the merrier
Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 PM

I've taken highschool kids for week long fishing courses for highschool credit out here.

Wholesale Sports Lethbridge was nice enough to donate 150-200$ in gift certs to buy supplies.

Get in touch with them. They were good to work with.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-25-2017, 01:20 PM

check with basspro and cabelas too