Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Practicing your Spey Cast

Not sure how silly of a question this is but when I was learning my fly cast basics I practiced on a soccer field.

Due to an upcoming elbow surgery I am thinking of switching to a spey / switch rod.

I was hoping to start practicing the bacis before I go under the knife.

Watching videos and reading basics online and it seems that you need the water / current to load the rod.

So how do you practice if you're not at a river?

Was also wondering how hard is it to spey fish of you're fishing from a boat? Seems like between the boat itself and your co-(fishing partner) it might be hard to load the rod.

Just starting out so any information / tips would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 PM

The drag on the line from the water offers resistance to load the rod. For many casts this is essential.
Can you not get to any open water at this time?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Spey casting is much gentler on the body than double hauling. If you practice on grass the there are leaders you can make up to simulate water drag. The rod does most of the work. I do like a light Spey outfit for throwing streamers on the bow. It's also great practice for the fall Steelhead trip.

I have regularly drifted with 2 or more people Spey casting from the boat. Never had a problem.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-18-2017, 04:03 PM

You can look at making a grass leader. They are easy to make and actually work pretty well. Not as good as water, but works better than nothing.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Never heard of a grass leader. That's the info I'm looking for. Thanks fellas.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Spey casting is much gentler on the body than double hauling. If you practice on grass the there are leaders you can make up to simulate water drag. The rod does most of the work. I do like a light Spey outfit for throwing streamers on the bow. It's also great practice for the fall Steelhead trip.

I have regularly drifted with 2 or more people Spey casting from the boat. Never had a problem.
When floating I assume the current is not as important? I was wondering if it would also work on a lake without the current?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
When floating I assume the current is not as important? I was wondering if it would also work on a lake without the current?
I've fished Lake Minnewanka a few times in the spring for lakes and a few Pike lakes. Grass leader si just a short leader with about 6 short pieces of leader (4") tied crossways to it to create drag. I've also use bits of cotton cloth tied at intervals at the end of the leader that worked during teaching sessions. I prefer not to lawn cast as it can damage a line that isn't cheap.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations