Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Depends on the bullet construction. Velocity on impact etc so it really depends on too many variables to be an accurate statement.

Yes, lots of variables. I was assuming larger calibers to be .348 and up .. usually at MV's less than 2600 fps and bullet weights over 225 gr.
Compared to a .308 cal 180 gr with MV of about 3100 fps it seems the heavier,slower projectiles would result in much less meat damage. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM

Sub 2800 fps, and cup core constructed bullets behave very well terminally.
Think about the 30-06 for a minute. Published velocities of 2700fps with 180's... Ever wonder why that load gets such good reports regardless of bullet make?(match slugs aside)

338 Win Mag gets it reputation from 250's at or around..............wait for it!..........................2700fps.

Then there's the recoil issue.

I've owned 2, .338's over the years, the rifles shot great, but myself as the end user didn't feel I was becoming comfortable enough with the rifle to give it a serious go for hunting..... They were sold off.

The fact remains that recoil from cartridges like the 30-06 and 7Rem Mag is the upper threshold of tolerance in recoil for the average shooter.

If you have little experience or spend very little time shooting, staying within acceptable averages is a good practice.

He doesn't need a 338 IMO.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Sub 2800 fps, and cup core constructed bullets behave very well terminally.
Think about the 30-06 for a minute. Published velocities of 2700fps with 180's... Ever wonder why that load gets such good reports regardless of bullet make?(match slugs aside)

338 Win Mag gets it reputation from 250's at or around..............wait for it!..........................2700fps.

Then there's the recoil issue.

I've owned 2, .338's over the years, the rifles shot great, but myself as the end user didn't feel I was becoming comfortable enough with the rifle to give it a serious go for hunting..... They were sold off.

The fact remains that recoil from cartridges like the 30-06 and 7Rem Mag is the upper threshold of tolerance in recoil for the average shooter.

If you have little experience or spend very little time shooting, staying within acceptable averages is a good practice.

He doesn't need a 338 IMO.
That's a great case for a .338-06. The downside being that it's a handloading
situation.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:26 AM

for years I used a 3006 for elk. It was a model remington 721 and after having it go off when I did not expect it I stopped using it. Never knew you could change the trigger meg so it was safer. Bought a 7mm rem mag and developed a flinch. Now thinking of going back to a 3006 in a safe rifle that does not kick so hard.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
I love my 338 WM with a 225 grain bullet...shots very flat and hits hard but if he has only shot a 243 rifle that's a big jump to go to the 338 so the 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet may make more sense for him to go to as his elk rifle.
But everyone should own at least one 338 WM in their lifetime and a 375 H&H as well.

Jim
I am very comfortable with my Sako 30-06 with 180 gr. for elk.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM

More velocity - energy is always better. A 338 has substantial more recoil than a 270 or 30-06, what about a 300wsm or 7mm mag?
I shot a 300wby for the last 20yrs, just sold it and bought a 300wsm (Tikka lite), recoil in the wby was getting too much and the wsm is tolerable for me. As I said before, I believe in as much gun as you can handle adequately and shoot well.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 PM

A good well placed quality bullet will out-perform a good well placed arrow at normal shooting ranges for a rifle. People have shot everything in N.A. with a bow.
Why the need for a cannon. A hole in the heart or lungs and things end fairly quickly.
I have a few calibers but tend to always use my 7mm with barnes tsx bullets for everything. That is likely because I use it the most for HUNTING, not shooting. It is also very accurate. Not one animal has complained after being shot accurately and humanely, or has requested a follow-up round. I never need to track too far, a heart/lung shot and blood pressure is quickly gone, and black-out commences. Anything from a .270 up should do that if a quality bullet is used.. A magnum does have more "shock" potential than a smaller round, but if you are over-gunned, a large magnum may just blow through and not exchange the energy available.
A 7mm will take down whatever roams N.A. and I don't even notice the recoil as I take 1 shot in the fall to confirm zero. I take 1 shot 99% of the time, know where it's going and that is the most important part of the equation. If you are elk hunting/moose hunting you will likely have a Buck or doe tag which you may wish to fill. Do you wish to run back to the truck and get the other gun as your howitzer is too big or your pea shooter is too small. That is why I use the 7mm. for everything. Once you have found a cartridge/bullet combo which works well for your gun, you are set. If you shoot a .270 then for the money you save, invest in a great bullet.
I even shoot a .458 win mag which is very accurate but, ridiculous. I don't have too much fun plinking with that one. With the muzzle brake, it pops your eyeballs back into your head when you shoot it, like the puffer at the optometrist's office, and is very loud. The recoil is reduced, but too much gun and not great for longer shooting.. I have several guns but always grab the one which can do it all, and bring along a backup or two..
And yes, in fact, the greater the downrange energy, the more meat you will turn into black jello when you hit "the skeletal frame" of an animal. That can be a big problem when you wish to eat what you shoot. Another good reason to shoot bonded or copper bullets.

Your game is a target, accurate shooting is THE most important factor to consider. If too much magnum power affects your accuracy, then you are actually reducing your odds for success. The comfort, confidence and time it takes to set up your best shot is important and leaves you more time to enjoy the surroundings.

My 2 cents.

Dave.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is where I would go with a 165 gr pill out of it.
Might even sell the 243 to help cover some of the cost but it is always nice to have two rifles minimum.
Won't argue with you there, though I prefer a 180gn.

Last edited by ForwardBias; 05-03-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 AM

338 for sure. The others are for sissys
Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
338 for sure. The others are for sissys
Am NOT a sissy!
I need t go find my safe place!
Cat
Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up

30-338 would b better choice or 30-378. 270 and 30-06 good starter guns
Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 PM

I would suggest the 35 Whelen. Plenty of great commercial loads nowadays. Recoil in my Ruger which resides in a B&C synthetic stock is more of a firm push than anything.

I was concerned about recoil after I had surgery to my shooting shoulder, found I wasn't comfortable with my 7mm RM anymore but my Whelen is easy on it, even with 250gr loads.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I like my 7mm Rem Mag with 160 gr. Accubonds. Whatever I have shot at tends to get very ill in a hurry and not entertain the notion of going any further!!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 PM

Best is to hopefully borrow a 338wm and try it I've found stock design and weight plays a huge factor on taking punishing recoil. My .300wsm x bolt with 100gr bullets fletch no more than my ruger mkii in 100gr bullets . Could shoot it all day. My old .458wm.. it was a beast on the bench... but offhand quite tolerable if u let your body take it .

Always amazed me though.. at the moment of truth taking a shot on an animal... u feel nothing. At least I don't.

Currently looking at a Sako Kodiak in 375 H&H or same in 338wm. Or an Accumark in 300 bee.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 PM

Meant 300wsm with 180 not 100gr and the ruger is 270 with 130gr. Oops