Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Lost and found

I saw the thread on the lost knife and it reminded me of a knife I lost back in the early 90s. It was a knife my wife had given me several years before. A Schrade Oldtimer drop point. I had gone on a scouting trip with a fellow hunter and when I got home I realized that my knife had come out of the sheath and was gone. I got back in my truck and drove the 175 km back to where I was and to every place I had stopped and been in and out of the vehicle retraced my steps. I did find my knife and still carry it to this day .

Has anyone else lost but had the good fortune to actually retrieved an item while hunting
Old 04-30-2016, 08:43 PM

Lost a pair of really good gloves one day. Was hunting and buddy got one so I helped him out; took off my gloves and set them down. We dragged the deer out at least 1 1/5 km to the quad and loaded it up. Then I noticed my gloves were missing. Since it was getting dark we left. I didn't get back out that way for several weeks; when I did I looked for my gloves where I thought I'd left them - and there they were .
Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 PM

Yup had a friend leave his spotting scope on top of a mountain once and then in the same year left his rifle by a tree when he stopped for a bathroom break. He sure liked to hike!!!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:28 PM

I had 2 hunting knives stolen from my pickup truck, when I forgot to lock it after bird hunting. My Buck Vangaurd, which was a gift from my brother years earlier and my Kershaw Dark horse, which was my father's knife. I was so disappointed they were both gone! Then 2 weeks later my wife was at a fitness boot camp and got to talking to a friend that lives down the street from us. She explained how 2 weeks earlier, she woke up early in the morning to walk her dog and noticed a trail of beer cans down the road and decided to follow them for some strange reason. She told my wife that at the end of the trail she had found a pile of stuff tossed in a backyard. My wife asked kinda jokingly "you didn't happen to find 2 hunting knives did you?" She looked stunned and said yes I did in fact and I turned them into the police. My wife called me and I went and claimed my knives 10 minutes later. Boy was that some luck!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:52 PM

Lost a set of keys at the Millarville Farmers Christmas Market one year (so snow on the ground). Returned to the market 2 years later on a nice, dry, sunny day, and happened upon the keys again lying in the parking lot.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

I was fishing Spray Lake last Spring, from a dingy. I rowed out to a small island 100m from shore.

I had tethered the boat to a large rock, and was fishing the perimeter of the island when heavy gusts of wind quickly blew in.

It flipped the dingy with ease, as I only had my backpack/spare rod and a small rock inside the boat (a failed attempt at preventing this very circumstance).

After quickly grabbing my (now wet) gear and righting the boat, I decided it best to head back to shore lest I get blown across the lake in a boat with no engine.

Once back to shore, I headed home to Calgary. Upon arrival, I cleaned out my bag to let things dry out only to find my $125 Leatherman missing. I knew exactly where it was !

A week later I made it back out (just over an hour drive 1-way). The water level had risen ~2 feet, they must have opened the sluice gate !

I row out to the island, to the exact spot my boat flipped. Previously it was ankle-deep, now the spot was under 2.5' of near-freezing mountain run-off.

It took me 10-15 minutes, but I found it. In 3 feet of water !
Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Banned

I lost my custom made knife my fathers company had made for me for graduation in a cut block after I gutted my mule deer I ended up finding it 2 years later after I was dragging another Miley from same cut block! I was sure happy
Old 05-01-2016, 12:35 AM

I was samon fishing in a river in Nova Scotia back in the 90s, my forceps were not tethered to my vest and some how they unclipped and sunk into the slow current. Once I noticed they were lost I started the search on the sandy river bed, a few minutes later I spotted them, fished them up with my fly rod tip and surprise these where not my forceps but a much better pair that I tethered!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:43 AM

About 4 years ago my truck was broken into and they stole my sheep hunting back pack.. I reported everything to the police and called in my SPOT as stolen .2 weeks go by and I get a phone call from the SPOT company saying they have picked up a signal and it's coming from a house down the street . Off I go , knock on the door and this sketchy guy answers the door literally holding my Spot GPS in his hands and high as a kite ..I introduced my self and said where did you find my GPS , in which he said it was laying In his yard and he gratefully gave it back . But in talking to him something seemed really off and I got a weird feeling about this guy . Right before I ended the conversation he randomly asks what I did for a living , in which I replied I work for the rcmp (which I don't ) and istantly he had stuff he had to do and off I went . The next morning I ran to Tims with my wife and as I turned up my street from our quick run for a coffee there lays my back pack uder a spruce tree that wasn't there 5 minutes earlier when I left.. it had everything in that was missing . Altho not where it was supposed to be it was just stuffed in the bottom of the pack.. I can't say for sure buddy broke in to my truck but how random is it that it magically appeared like that ..

Mamba
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 AM

Lost a set of Leupold Binos last season. We were out looking for a buck for my dad to put his draw tag on. My sister was out with us for her second season ever. We found a decent mule and the trek was on. Stalked into spot and a shot was made. I handed my sis my Binos as I set up for a shot incase help was needed. The deer went down and the excitement began. Amongst the excitement and commotion my sister managed to drop and forgot about my Binos. All the work was finished, deer was loaded and we were getting ready to leave. I then noticed I had no Binos. Panic set in my sisters eyes as we searched for 3 hours and found nothing. Next morning I had to go back to work for 10 days. As soon as my days off began I knew I was going back for a second look. My sister, my friend and I headed out to go for another search. This time I brought my dads metal detector. As I was scanning around with metal detector I was able to find the shell casing from my dads shot. A few ideas were tossed around where the Binos could be. When my sister remembered where she had been standing. I walked over to the spot and right at my feet lay my Binos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM

In my early 20's I had a cool 'Trappers' knife with a curved blade. I was working on my brother in laws farm putting large round straw bales down for the steers in November. I was cutting the strings with my knife and set it down on the tractor tire to pull the strings off and forgot it there and it was gone. Every week more bedding went in. In late July the following year I was cleaning out the corral with the grapple bucket. The straw was 4 feet thick and sloppy. Upon grabbing a load and lifting it up I saw my knife for a brief second when more loose straw flopped down and covered it. I grabbed a pitch fork and started digging and found my knife. I ended up making a new handle for it and still have it 30 years later. I'm still amazed at the odds of finding it in a corral that was 160x80 feet covered in manure and straw.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 PM

I gave a friend a Buck 112 folder for a birthday gift one year.
He left it on the running board of his Elan and lost it. That spring we were doing spring beavers and walking along the same trail.
found it!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-01-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I gave a friend a ck 112 flder fr a rthda gift one year.
He left it on the running obard of hi Elan and lost t.That spring we were doing spring beavers and walking along the same trail.
found it!
Cat
Woah, Dave that's the worst post you've made in a while.

What are you trying to say?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Strange, that is what it looked like before. Edited it , but the edit didn't post the first time!!
OOOH, ah hates computers........
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Woah, Dave that's the worst post you've made in a while.

What are you trying to say?
Take a look now
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM

Too funny. Try that voice thingy.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Banned

Entertaining isn't it. LOL
Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 PM

That's just cold!
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
Lost a set of Leupold Binos last season. We were out looking for a buck for my dad to put his draw tag on. My sister was out with us for her second season ever. We found a decent mule and the trek was on. Stalked into spot and a shot was made. I handed my sis my Binos as I set up for a shot incase help was needed. The deer went down and the excitement began. Amongst the excitement and commotion my sister managed to drop and forgot about my Binos. All the work was finished, deer was loaded and we were getting ready to leave. I then noticed I had no Binos. Panic set in my sisters eyes as we searched for 3 hours and found nothing. Next morning I had to go back to work for 10 days. As soon as my days off began I knew I was going back for a second look. My sister, my friend and I headed out to go for another search. This time I brought my dads metal detector. As I was scanning around with metal detector I was able to find the shell casing from my dads shot. A few ideas were tossed around where the Binos could be. When my sister remembered where she had been standing. I walked over to the spot and right at my feet lay my Binos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should be careful what you post for a story. If your dad had the draw tag you shouldn't be getting ready to shoot, even if its a back up shot.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:59 PM

First time I took the wife to the Yaha, rode west along the river a ways. Stopped on a point, said there'd be sheep on a north slope 5-6 K away. Glassed the hillside 25-30 there. Wife takes her glasses off to look through the binos, leaves them on a rock. We ride all the way in to the camp in the park, wife realizes her glasses are gone. We rode 18 K back right to the spot & found them. $450 saved.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM

15 years ago I found a pair of bushnell binoculars in the bush where I have never seen anyone else walk. The rubber eye pieces had been chewed off and they looked rough. I suspect a coyote or porcupine carried them into the bush. The 10x42 optics were great. I still use them today.

Sadly, 2 weeks later I lost my new bushnell binoculars that I never could find again.

30 years ago I lost an 'original buffalo skinner' knife that my father gave to me. The knife was a top grade blade and had a carved buffalo horn handle. I doubt anyone will ever find that one. Deep in the bush in 2 feet of snow SE of Meekwap lake.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 PM

My father bought a knife many years ago, and it sat in the spare parts bin for ever.
I asked him about it once because it had a nice heft, a decent looking blade design wise, and a good name "William Rodgers, Cutler to the King"
On the other side it said " I cut my way"
He told me he bought it when he was young, and it was the most awful cutting tool for keeping an edge he ever saw!
It would sharpen really fast and dull faster!

Anyway, one day on stand he got so disgusted that he took it out and heaved it over his shoulder!!

Back at camp he mentioned that he lost his knife and that was that , good riddance- that is, until the next year when one of his friends found it and brought t back all excited!!!
It sat in the shop for maybe 30 years until I told him I would like it for a blanket prize.
I put it on the blanket at a rendezvous (Tomahawk maybe) and it was one of the first tings to go!
It hasn't come back since!
Cat
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Lost a clip for my Sako A7 a few years back. Did not expect to see it again but had to try to find it. Thought it might of fallen out of a pocket when I crawled under a fence so that's where I started my search. On my way to the fence on the path I was walking on layed my clip. Lucky no one had drove over it. I was likely the last one on that trail the previous hunting season. Lesson learned to always buy gear with good zippers.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Banned

Default They are gone.

I have done my share of the lost part, but I'm short on the found part.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Had a favorite face mask disappear once when bow hunting in 338, retraced my steps 3 times, oh well it's camo I'm not going to see it. Stepped on it 3 weeks later

Lost a chicken arrow out of my quiver. On the walk out in the dark I found it easily enough, the luminock was lit up.

Managed to lose my entire quiver pushing through a willow bush last year, was following a >55 in bull moose up a steep bank. Had to go back, by the time I found it and made my way to the top he was gone

Lost my rangefinder while calling moose, had to search a 5x5' area inch by inch for about 30 min before I found it. Why is everything camo?!?!!?

Bought an orange handled flipnblaze knife, lesson eventually learned.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You should be careful what you post for a story. If your dad had the draw tag you shouldn't be getting ready to shoot, even if its a back up shot.
Ever think maybe they got drawn together...
Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM

About 1980 I found an old Puma fixed blade stuck in a tree at Scarp Lake it had been there a long time. A Leatherman in a very faded cordura sheath at a creek crossing on the Opabin above the Brazeau river in 2007. Also a cheap sheath knife in the bush west of Bentley, someone must have field dressed a deer and stuck it there when cleaning up. My nephew found a very rusted 94 Winchester when out horse riding west of Turner Valley in 2014. That old Puma I found has a 4 digit serial number on it and antler handle, I got a new sheath made recently and should see if I can figure how old it is as it keeps a keen edge. Thanks D.H.

Last edited by David Henry; 05-02-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Gone Hunting

The most I have ever found in my bush travels were empties(bottles, cans and cartridges) and some rather personal female garments. Must have been the leftovers of an afternoon delight!!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Back when I worked in forestry I was walking through a thick patch of alder and my watch go ripped off of my wrist. My boss found it a year later over a mile from where I lost it. the strap was chewed off but it still worked.