Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
mrd

Default It's like nothing I've seen up 'till now? Where did they go?

Hi Gang,
I have had numerous tracks throughout the set areas of the traps, and on the traps. I finally noticed that my traps were set too heavy, and now it's like there is absolutely no tracks in existance the last couple days.
Could it be the weather? We just got a decent amount of snow, (about 6"), and it's surely going to hide some tracks, but all of them?
Could it be that the coyotes leave the area for the winter? How about cats?
Thanks so much,
Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
DUKE

Default Re: It's like nothing I've seen up 'till now? Where did they

whats your food source around there??? rabbits/mice/ grouse/.big game??? my yodie and fox areas are re visited every 4-5days.. yes pending weather. check out the wetter willow flats right now. rabbits may be in there and so will the yodies/lynx.. set alittle bait out in the open see what takes it..dump out soem bacon with a can of sardines on top,, place a couple traps on in coming trails.. could be your set up also and smell??
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
mrd

Duke,
Thanks for the post/reply.
Here is my latest situation:

I have just discovered recently that I had two traps that were tripped, and two that were not touched. I don't see any tracks in the snow, but we have recently recieved a couple of inches since I had checked them.
My question is: The traps are #2 Bridger, with just the two springs. They are rusted up nice, and would die up good. Do I bring them in and do that, or reset them again? Also, would it be smart to simply order more spring(s), and have a total of four on them so they might be a bit faster?
Note: I have had a squirrel at a set for some time. But, I don't think it set them off, as therre is no evidence of one. There looks to be no struggle at the set as well, as where a coyote, cat, etc. would have tried to free itself.
I have set these traps extremely light so that as to go off with the slightest weight. I did not file a "notch" into the trap when doing this. I simply set the trigger under the pan, "just" catching the pan. I am thinking that a Notch might be better?
Thanks so much, I love this site!!
Chris
Old 12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
DUKE

I'V HAD TRAPS GET SET OFF BY A SMALL TWIG!! OR BIRDS. SOMETIMES YOU WILL CATCH THOSE PESTY MAGPIES SOMETIMES YOU DON'T YOU SHOULD SEE SOME SORT OF TRACK IF IT WAS A 4 LEGGED ANIMAL. I THINK YOUR TRAPS ARE FINE HANG IN THERE, PATIENCE PAYS OFF.. WHAT ARE YOU TRAPPING ??? I HAD THIS OLD YODIE THAT WOULD FLIP MY TRAP OVER AND CRAP ON IT!!! I COULDN'T TRAP HIM SO I CALLED HIM OUT ON A COLD MORNING AND SHOT HIM.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM
mrd

So, I take you use the lightest possible setting on your traps as well then? I am trapping coyotes, and fox. Of course, I'll take a bobcat if at possible, but the season is only 10 days long, and the clock is ticking. It ends the 20th. Any ideas to call these cats in? I am using two new traps for them, and hoping that they will go for the mice meat/gland lure baits.
What do you use to call them out with?
I think I'll go ahead and reset them tomorrow afternoon, and hang in there like you said. I am setting them on Peet Spagnum. It seems to work well, as it does not freeze. I still am not sure I am "packing" the jaws just right, but, the trap is bedded firmly when I am done, so I take it I am doing something right?
By the way, can you tell me what you use for boots/hip waitors, as well as gloves?
Thanks so much for your help!
Chris
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 AM
DUKE

The peat can work against you as a soft spring like bed.place a small grid of sticks on the bottom of trap. place small sticks sticking up all around your trap- cover your trap lightly. . try sardines nailed to a tree 3 feet high for your bobcat and just above your trap hand a bird wing , or rag with your lure on it. The cat will not step on those little sticks around the trap , but it will step right in the middle !!bang !! make a good cubby set for the cats,, it works also for yodies.. i prefer to snare my fox. they use the same trails every 3-5 days.. set lots... come jan / feb you should be able to start to smell fox in your area, marking territory for breeding season... set snares on trails leading to your traps also. As for calling the cats in its tough they are slow to come in .. yodies will run you over..
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
mrd

Say, thanks Duke!!
Do you do this same "stick" set up on all your traps? I really like the idea. I do understand about the peat under the traps. It does seem a bit "soft".
I will let you know how I make out, and "hopefully" some pictures soon, (very soon,...........................).
Chris
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
DUKE

YES I USE A LARGE TREE AS A BACK STOP THEN MAKE A TENT LIKE CUBBY. NAIL TRAP WITH FENCING STAPLE TO TREE.NO ANIMAL WANTS TO STEP ON STICKS THAT ARE STICKING STRAIGHT OUT SO THEY WILL ALWAYS STEP IN THE MIDDLE WHERE YOUR TRAP IS. DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF TRAP I WILL USE MY HEEL..PLACING A SMALL SQUARE OF WAX PAPER ON TOP OF THE TRAP, THEN A LITE DUST OF SNOW ON TOP. CHA T SOON COR.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:58 PM
DUKE

WHERE ARE YOU TRAPPING???
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 AM
mrd

Duke,
I'm in Michigan. I didn't even realize that there is a chat section here. I sure do appreciate you letting me know. I will try my best to stop in this evening!
Chris