Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They are targeting hunters. Period.
Agreed. After the long weekend camping. Right before the hunting opener.
It's dry yes. But heavy dew and frost is happening now causing it to be not as dry as it was three weeks ago.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Default No

There are plenty on here without knowledge of what the Province can and can't do. They cannot legally force you out of crown land, or your home even when a state of Emergency is declared, let alone just a risk. I have spent most of my career in Emergency Management, the bush is terribly dry, and ripe for a fire. But your 100 times more likely to die on the highway than by a wildfire. People need to lower the anxiety level on this. Crossover conditions happen all the time, fire ban's are in place, crews are available to fight fires, which there aren't many of in the Province right now considering how dry it is in the South. They didn't give the order to evacuate Fort McMurray, even though an active wildfire was bearing down on the city. They dropped the ball on that one. Now they are flopping to the extreme. There is a happy medium to be had.
And regarding animals burning up in wildfires, ask a Firefighter how many carcasses they have found in a bush fire, I bet you will have a difficult time finding a single one. I've never found nor do I know anyone who has. Even if a fire starts, it's not the end of time. But for crying out loud, be safe out there.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Looks like we got our bull elk just in time! The area we were hunting is now closed
Old 09-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Default Links to maps of closed areas

http://www.albertafirebans.ca/

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f4&oe=5A1E41CF
Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 PM

time to let the loggers in and cut fire breaks like they did on Star Creek.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
There are plenty on here without knowledge of what the Province can and can't do. They cannot legally force you out of crown land, or your home even when a state of Emergency is declared, let alone just a risk. I have spent most of my career in Emergency Management, the bush is terribly dry, and ripe for a fire. But your 100 times more likely to die on the highway than by a wildfire. People need to lower the anxiety level on this. Crossover conditions happen all the time, fire ban's are in place, crews are available to fight fires, which there aren't many of in the Province right now considering how dry it is in the South. They didn't give the order to evacuate Fort McMurray, even though an active wildfire was bearing down on the city. They dropped the ball on that one. Now they are flopping to the extreme. There is a happy medium to be had.
And regarding animals burning up in wildfires, ask a Firefighter how many carcasses they have found in a bush fire, I bet you will have a difficult time finding a single one. I've never found nor do I know anyone who has. Even if a fire starts, it's not the end of time. But for crying out loud, be safe out there.
Section 14(1) of the Forest and Prairie Protection Act gives the Minister the authority to close forest areas to public entry.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
It's dry yes. But heavy dew and frost is happening now causing it to be not as dry as it was three weeks ago.
Wrong , at least in the SW. One heavy dew in the last 40 days , frost ? What's that ? Not here.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

Pincher?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Pincher?
I am... Beauvais, Oldman Dam, Island, Lundbreck, and Maycroft are the only campgrounds that was left open in the area.. The rest are closed. The forestry including into the Porkies is closed..
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Pincher?
South , next to the new park.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Animals die in fires. I have seen carcasses of many.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 PM

Got in 2 days of hunting, guess the grouse we didn't get this morning are safe for a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Come on now Do you really think the dew and frost make a difference when the temp is in the 80's and 90's every day lol.

It's targeting all recreational users and is the right decision. Resources and man power are spread thin right now fighting fires that are out of control, these are people with familes like us risking their lives. We hunters and outdoors people don't need to add to their risk. Let's just hope for moisture and this will all go away.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Animals die in fires. I have seen carcasses of many.
Well that's interesting. In 25+ years I have never, nor do I know of anyone who has. Your talking ungulates here or small mammals?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 PM

"Targeting" is the right word. Good pun.

If it was for all users, why close it after the long weekend? If it is such an urgent situation, do as south eastern BC did, and close BEFORE the long weekend to truely keep " all recreational users" out. Nope, let's give our granola crunching hikers/supporters the long weekend to enjoy public land, then stick it to the hunters/fishers. Nice.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM

I do agree with Chuck, if it was so dry then why did the government not close the forestry down in the beginning of August when there were probably 3-4 times more people using the forestry. It was just as dry then as it is now. The way I see it with the new park in place the government was giving the users a grace period, and the government is breaking in the users of what to expect in the future. There will be no random camping, no OHV use, and no hunting. Remember what the regs. Say about hunting in a provincial park, and the government conveniently named both parks provincial parks. With these free permits for random camping and discharge permits they are just taking inventory of how many people use this area. So the next step will be to pay for permits which I believe every tax payer already pays enough taxes. Then the final step will be to eliminate all users to the area.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I do agree with Chuck, if it was so dry then why did the government not close the forestry down in the beginning of August when there were probably 3-4 times more people using the forestry. It was just as dry then as it is now. The way I see it with the new park in place the government was giving the users a grace period, and the government is breaking in the users of what to expect in the future. There will be no random camping, no OHV use, and no hunting. Remember what the regs. Say about hunting in a provincial park, and the government conveniently named both parks provincial parks. With these free permits for random camping and discharge permits they are just taking inventory of how many people use this area. So the next step will be to pay for permits which I believe every tax payer already pays enough taxes. Then the final step will be to eliminate all users to the area.
If they keep clamping down on random camping it will be mainly because of that small percentage that have the "holier than thou" attitude and leave the place a mess with garbage strewn everywhere.
On the no OHV use, I've already emailed them because there is one OHV that is not allowed in the new Castle Park. Amphibious vehicles, in other words Argos are not allowed in the park. I'd like some clarity as to why...
How do they keep track of discharge permits? I printed 3 at home and emailed the pdf to 2 other friends..
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well that's interesting. In 25+ years I have never, nor do I know of anyone who has. Your talking ungulates here or small mammals?
I was in Yellowstone the year after their large fire. There were elk and buffalo carcasses in the park.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 AM

There was a fire west of Sundre a few yrs back, that killed at least some cattle in the forestry zone on both sides if the trunk road. Crown fire will suffocate whatever is under it. Get a good wind and you can have a problem outrunning it even on horseback. Can easily get trapped in an area with a fire cutting off your exit that way, also.
The bulk of southern BC is shut down now as well.
Idaho/Montana doesn't look good either
http://www.idahofireinfo.com/p/maps.html
Old 09-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Yup thats exactly what i was thinking in the previous post. It will set a precedant for things to come. Present Wildfire situation or not once areas have a designation, they will be for special groups only. It really isnt that far fetched. It would fit right in there with the Y2Y plan that I believe the NDP are on board with.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Default Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
I was in Yellowstone the year after their large fire. There were elk and buffalo carcasses in the park.
Interesting. Different Eco system than Ours though.
Fires also don't Sufficate anything when candling overhead. Lots of Firefighters wouldn't be hear if it did.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
They weren't targeting hunters last time they shut it down out there (I was working down there for Shell at the time, we got the boot), and they aren't this time
Last week Spray Lakes was trucking timber out of the Porcupine Hills...are they still operating in these conditions? I'm not accusing or stirring the pot...just curious.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Section 14(1) of the Forest and Prairie Protection Act gives the Minister the authority to close forest areas to public entry.
Newly changed leglislation apparently

https://www.capft.ca/tiny_uploads/fo...utovaOlena.pdf
Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 AM

I am not familiar with the names of the various areas that are closed to hunting. I am supposed to be meeting my party 8 km west of Dutch Creek Recreation Area. It sounds like the Dutch Creek Campground is closed, is all activity closed in this area?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
They weren't targeting hunters last time they shut it down out there (I was working down there for Shell at the time, we got the boot), and they aren't this time
Where was I when this happend?
I have never seen Shell kicked out of the Castle, nor have they ever shut in any wells because it was to dry to opperate. They may have had some contractors that really didnt need to be there though. You must not have been working for Shell.........
Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I am... Beauvais, Oldman Dam, Island, Lundbreck, and Maycroft are the only campgrounds that was left open in the area.. The rest are closed. The forestry including into the Porkies is closed..
Where do you get that info? Don't see anywhere saying the porkies are closed?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM

http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertapa...ty/advisories/

Everything in the south is now closed.

I hope it opens up again for at least a part of the hunting season.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Where do you get that info? Don't see anywhere saying the porkies are closed?
The news release by Alberta Parks yesterday said that all of the forestry was closed south of willow creek. Now those links have been removed, and they are only listing the parks individually. I'm thinking that they don't have the authority to shut-down foot access to forestry so they have back pedalled and now it's just the parks.

As of yesterday they put up some temporary "road closed" signs at access roads into the forestry, but there was so on manning the gates, and people were moving the signs to drive in.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM

I wonder if HWY 532 going into the Indian Graves/Bear Lake area is still open. Anyone know first hand? From what I have read, I would say yes. Otherwise I will need to look at the northern end of 404 for my first season.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 AM

No one seems to know. Calgary herald had an article but pulled it, it seems. Alberta parks backpedalled and said its only parks closed. The graphic i found suggests that all the porkies and south is closed not just parks. Im supposed to be hunting friday and saturday in 304/305 in the crown area. so im not sure yet whats going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk