Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 01:43 PM

Default Duck hunting - what am I doing wrong?

As per a previous post, I was advised to check out a few different spots this year and this weekend I did exactly that.

Went to a much larger body of water than I usually hunt (I don't mind saying that it was Frank Lake, East of High River). We didn't really know the lake and most of the shore line was thick with reeds.

We found a spot to set up the blind and throw in the decoys well before legal light. Plenty of birds flying around today, bit they weren't coming anywhere near us. Not like they were flaring, they were just totally disinterested in our part of the lake.

We could see across the other side that there were 100's of ducks and geese, but they weren't even flying over us.

We had 3 dozen mallard decoys, 1 spinner sand a quiver butt (I don't actually know what they're called, but you know what I mean).

What could I have done differently? How do you pick a spot? What do you do of all the birds are landing somewhere else? Are there many ducks around at the moment? We saw a ton of cormorants, but I couldn't say with certainty that we were seeing mallards.

As always, any advice is appreciated.............as long as it's good advice
Old 09-15-2024, 01:56 PM

Whether hunting fields or water, go where the birds like to be, not where you want them to be.
Old 09-15-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Whether hunting fields or water, go where the birds like to be, not where you want them to be.
How do you know where they want to be? From my observation they like being near all the thick Reed's. My buddy had the idea of hiding in them, but I think it will be quite taxing to stand knee deep in that boggy mud for a morning
Old 09-15-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
How do you know where they want to be? From my observation they like being near all the thick Reed's. My buddy had the idea of hiding in them, but I think it will be quite taxing to stand knee deep in that boggy mud for a morning
You go out and watch where they are, that is where they want to be.
Old 09-15-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You go out and watch where they are, that is where they want to be.
Wonderfully insightful....
Old 09-15-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
That is how scouting works, we go out and watch which fields the birds feed in, and which water they are in between the morning and evening feeding sessions. Then we obtain permission from the landowner, and set up to hunt. Whether outfitter or recreational hunter, that is how you successfully hunt waterfowl.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You're coming across as ****y with Elkhunter who's only sin is that he offered you (at your request) the most important tip that a new waterfowl hunter needs to learn. The best hunting is where the birds currently want to be.

Pass shooting: is useless unless you are posted concealed under or near (shooting range) the route the birds are flying between feeding and loafing/roosting areas.

Water shooting: you need to be where the birds were. Set up before they come back. Make sure to leave a hole in you decoy set where you want the birds to land (within shooting range). You should be upwind of the hole so that the birds (which will normally land into the wind) are slowing down to land.

Field shooting: place your decoys and blind exactly where you scouted the birds the night before (make sure you have permission). If your decoys are not placed where there are duck/goose feathers and fresh poop, you are greatly reducing your chances. Same principles as in water shooting apply in the field.

If you aren't an accomplished caller, less is more. If you are in the right spot, where the birds want to be, your decoys will do the majority of the work for you (remember, the decoys must face upwind), call sparingly.

When I was young, we tried pond shooting with little success. Also, we didn't have a dog. I learned that most of our ponds are so soft, a 200lb man will get stuck in the mud. A fishing rod with a big treble hook was our retrieval method (no canoe/boat either, me and my buddy were poor). Pass shooting by the pond was a little more successful, but the retrieval issues (the birds usually managed to fall in the water) were the same as pond shooting.

When I was introduced to field shooting, I learned a lot. A work buddy was from Northeastern Alberta where more waterfowl flies through. He was very experienced. He scouted the night before, secured permission, and we were placing decoys/blind in the feathers and poop at 3-4 in the morning to be ready for the morning flight. Still not flush with money, we often hunted with only a 1-2 dozen Canada goose shells and a chicken wire and grass/willows/loose grain stems blind. Do it right, that's all you need. Ducks will decoy to the goose decoys also. Make sure you cover your face and hands which will scare the birds (the hands and face will glow white in the rising sun).

I forgot jump shooting: If there are small ponds/creeks/dugouts in the area, some careful sneaking can get you close enough to jump up and shoot the startled/flushing birds. (that's how I killed my first waterfowl).

Remember you can't kill birds that don't want to be where you are.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2024, 08:12 PM

Thank you, AB 2506.

I appreciate the all the advice. Very helpful
Old 09-15-2024, 08:47 PM

I’ve only hunted waterfowl for about ten years. I’ve been fortunate to be able to team up with a couple of guys that are very experienced and have all the gear we need. It’s rare to have a bad shoot. I learn something new almost every time we go out. We strictly field shoot over decoys.

I can’t add much except to hope to get a chance to hunt with some experienced folks. I wouldn’t enjoy waterfowl hunting as much as I do without their mentorship. Good luck with the rest of your season.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:08 AM

Watch where the birds are flying back into the slough… try and get to that area.
Stand in the reeds, bring something to sit on it really helps. A 5 gallon pail filled with water and the lid snapped on works ok…not great but better than nothing. Toss out your decoys and using a “jerk line” helps. Wear good cammo, cover your face. Learn to call. If you don’t have a boat a calf sled will float with a dozen decoys and your shotgun in it…adding foam to the sides would help, I never did though. I really like using a canoe to get around, it’s so much better than wading through the weeds and mud. My old Coleman canoe was red and a dead give away to the ducks but it still worked ok.
If I remember right there’s a berm on one end of frank lake, probably a good spot to launch a canoe.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Watch where the birds are flying back into the slough… try and get to that area.
Stand in the reeds, bring something to sit on it really helps. A 5 gallon pail filled with water and the lid snapped on works ok…not great but better than nothing. Toss out your decoys and using a “jerk line” helps. Wear good cammo, cover your face. Learn to call. If you don’t have a boat a calf sled will float with a dozen decoys and your shotgun in it…adding foam to the sides would help, I never did though. I really like using a canoe to get around, it’s so much better than wading through the weeds and mud. My old Coleman canoe was red and a dead give away to the ducks but it still worked ok.
If I remember right there’s a berm on one end of frank lake, probably a good spot to launch a canoe.
We were thinking about using a canoe! have a green one, so hopefully it doesn't stand out too much.

Thanks for the advice
Old 09-16-2024, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
As per a previous post, I was advised to check out a few different spots this year and this weekend I did exactly that.

Went to a much larger body of water than I usually hunt (I don't mind saying that it was Frank Lake, East of High River). We didn't really know the lake and most of the shore line was thick with reeds.

We found a spot to set up the blind and throw in the decoys well before legal light. Plenty of birds flying around today, bit they weren't coming anywhere near us. Not like they were flaring, they were just totally disinterested in our part of the lake.

We could see across the other side that there were 100's of ducks and geese, but they weren't even flying over us.

We had 3 dozen mallard decoys, 1 spinner sand a quiver butt (I don't actually know what they're called, but you know what I mean).

What could I have done differently? How do you pick a spot? What do you do of all the birds are landing somewhere else? Are there many ducks around at the moment? We saw a ton of cormorants, but I couldn't say with certainty that we were seeing mallards.

As always, any advice is appreciated.............as long as it's good advice

As with any hunting situation you learn and adapt. Pre scout is a good thing a few days max before the hunt, why? Because the birds will change their patterns for feed etc.
Seems you where on a good spot maybe next set will be over by where you were seeing the birds.
Keep at it and you will have success.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2024, 07:15 AM

Smile A Canoe?

I know a lot about this. First if you are shooting over the roost (water) the birds my leave the area and you won't get anymore shooting in that spot. That's part of what Elk was saying about spotting. BTW on a field, if they want to come in they will come while you are still setting up!

Back to canoes, I don't think that 2 people is a very good idea if you are a rookie. safety comes first. It also gives the canoe less freeboard.

The best hunting comes with wind, it will do more for you that anything else. If you are in a canoe and the wind starts picking up, and the ducks are heading into your spread, pull up and paddle home asap. On the prairie the wind gets up fast and blows hard, and sadly it has killed a few hunters on Eagle lake.

If you want to hunt over water get and train a dog!!!

BTW I'm now 80 years and my partener is not much younger, we now road hunt, it is a bit like jump shooting. I drive and friend rides "shotgun" when we pass a borrow pit with some ducks in it, I keep driving otherwise the birds will flush. When I'm a decent distance ahead, out steps the shooter who walks back to the water. If I hear any shots, I cut the dog loose. Shooter walks back, ducks put in back of truck, dog in the truck. Repeat as required,

Be safe before all else, we need all of us.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:34 AM

Sounds like you're trying to hunt a roost. This is where the birds go to rest. they will not be near the water's edge as that's where the danger (predators) is.

Follow them when they take off. where are they going to feed? find that out, and wait there.

lots of great information in this thread for new hunters.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
We were thinking about using a canoe! have a green one, so hopefully it doesn't stand out too much.

Thanks for the advice
You can get some cargo net and put on top with some cattails woven in, ive never done that though. If the cattails are nice and thick just push and heave the canoe as far as possible into them. Pull a few around the canoe until you’ve got better cover…. I’ve done that a lot. As for 2 in the canoe most of my time was by myself, just me and my dog. If there are 2 shooters, decide ahead of time what your “zones” will be. The guy in the front seat can sit backwards so he has better leg room and maneuverability.

Don’t forget your thermos of coffee.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:35 AM

Default The only safe way to shoot from canoe or boat

Back to back in middle so each can shoot 180 degree radius. If one shooter is getting all shooting change places. Un the heat of the moment prearranged shooting zones arent safe.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:07 AM

No dog, don’t hunt the water.

Spot for field shoots……..

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
No dog, don’t hunt the water.

Spot for field shoots……..
And that pretty much sums it up. Happy hunting.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:34 PM

Default Pressured Birds

Pressured birds will act differently. Frank lake sees a lot of pressure. We have tried it all. Standing in the reeds, using a boat, on the edge in the grass, there was even a few blinds built on the southwest side. They know.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:32 PM

Lots of work hunting water. Yes, may need to stand in wader the whole time if the bottom substrate is hard enough. Otherwise from a canoe, packraft, etc may be the only way to go especially for retrieving. Park yourself in the reeds and pile up as much camo (cat tails or surrounding reeds) to conceal. Put decoys out in front of you — ideally you’re in some kind of depression in the shoreline. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
Pressured birds will act differently. Frank lake sees a lot of pressure. We have tried it all. Standing in the reeds, using a boat, on the edge in the grass, there was even a few blinds built on the southwest side. They know.
I'm glad it's not just me haha
Old 09-17-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Lots of work hunting water. Yes, may need to stand in wader the whole time if the bottom substrate is hard enough. Otherwise from a canoe, packraft, etc may be the only way to go especially for retrieving. Park yourself in the reeds and pile up as much camo (cat tails or surrounding reeds) to conceal. Put decoys out in front of you — ideally you’re in some kind of depression in the shoreline. Good luck.
Solid advice. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you
Old 09-18-2024, 07:36 AM

Back a few years when we actually had water we did a lot of water hunting. Lots of good advice here about finding birds and scouting so il just add a few tips to make it more enjoyable.
-shotgun slings are very handy when walking out and managing decoys/cripples
- walking stick. In the muck and gumbo if you have a hand free having a walking stick helps keep you from getting stuck and tripped up. We just used large straight poplar for walking sticks.
- decoys. Get a large carabineer clip to group handfuls of decoys together for easy dragging through water.
-For boats we ended up getting 2 cheap used single person kayaks. Usually we didn't shoot from them but never had any issues when we did. I used camo spray paint to dull any bright colours. Throw decoys ammo and guns in the kayaks and walk them out. When not in use we jammed them into the reeds to keep out of sight

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-20-2024, 11:17 AM

I have hunted frank lake for a couple years with my jon boat and I find its witch way the wind if that day that determines on witch side they want to be on. I hide in the tall grass or the cattails and found this to be way better than hunting from the shore line. Also if you see the tractors moving around on the land get ready for some good numbers!
Old 09-20-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Back a few years when we actually had water we did a lot of water hunting. Lots of good advice here about finding birds and scouting so il just add a few tips to make it more enjoyable.
-shotgun slings are very handy when walking out and managing decoys/cripples
- walking stick. In the muck and gumbo if you have a hand free having a walking stick helps keep you from getting stuck and tripped up. We just used large straight poplar for walking sticks.
- decoys. Get a large carabineer clip to group handfuls of decoys together for easy dragging through water.
-For boats we ended up getting 2 cheap used single person kayaks. Usually we didn't shoot from them but never had any issues when we did. I used camo spray paint to dull any bright colours. Throw decoys ammo and guns in the kayaks and walk them out. When not in use we jammed them into the reeds to keep out of sight
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeretimex View Post
I have hunted frank lake for a couple years with my jon boat and I find its witch way the wind if that day that determines on witch side they want to be on. I hide in the tall grass or the cattails and found this to be way better than hunting from the shore line. Also if you see the tractors moving around on the land get ready for some good numbers!
Thank you