Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Why are so many on here happy to see outdoor activities taken away from us??
Not just atv’s, but also, random camping and hunting. Oh and don’t let me forget taking your dog for a walk.
None of the activities you mention are being taken away from you. Some restrictions are in place to make sure theses activities can be enjoyed by future generations. Think about it! The days of the free for all are over people.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
None of the activities you mention are being taken away from you. Some restrictions are in place to make sure theses activities can be enjoyed by future generations. Think about it! The days of the free for all are over people.
Putting restrictions on one area will overpopulate other areas. This will give reason to restrict more. And the dominoes will keep falling.
Also, the “free for all” could have been taken care of with some enforcement of existing laws and with fines that are more than a slap on the wrist.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Maybe someone understands this map better than me but there used to be a road up Daisy Creek which became a quad road but I see nothing is marked on the map. Does that mean we cannot take a quad up Daisy Creek? There are other areas in the Racehorse and Atlas watershed that have not been marked as open or closed. I wonder what gives?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Maybe someone understands this map better than me but there used to be a road up Daisy Creek which became a quad road but I see nothing is marked on the map. Does that mean we cannot take a quad up Daisy Creek? There are other areas in the Racehorse and Atlas watershed that have not been marked as open or closed. I wonder what gives?
That is what it says to me. No access to trails East of Hwy 40 from Coleman in the South all the way to Beaver Creek in the North......with the exception of a sliver of a trail that looks to be on the pipeline N of Frank.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Why are so many on here happy to see outdoor activities taken away from us??
Not just atv’s, but also, random camping and hunting. Oh and don’t let me forget taking your dog for a walk.
Some feel that they will now get more opportunities. It called greed.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Some feel that they will now get more opportunities. It called greed.
Yea little Miss Phillips is paving the road to the ski hill so she doesn't get her car dirty getting to her cabin.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 PM

If you don't think hunting rights will be next in these areas you are just kidding yourself!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
If you don't think hunting rights will be next in these areas you are just kidding yourself!
I’m sure glad some are realizing this. It was getting pretty depressing reading this thread.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM

Am I reading the map right?........according to the legend it looks they're going to pave the entire trunk road through that zone
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 AM

As far as I am concerned they have gone to far. I admit that we needed some of the areas cleaned up but they have pretty well banned all quadding in the mountain and foothills areas of southern Alberta. Some of you will say good and that is your opinion other voters have good ideas as well.
When heli hiking first started I was against it until someone pointed out to me that most people heli hiking could not walk to the high alpine lakes and flying them in gives them a chance to enjoy the alpine areas. The same for quadding it allows Albertans the chance to see areas they would never enjoy if they had to walk. Some cannot walk others chose not to. Just like speeding limits on our highways we need regulations for all back country users. But we do not ban everybody who disagrees with you.
Just because Shannon Phillips and her Y2Y connections and her green peace connections who want to shut down the tar sands do not like it other 'Albertans who also have a say in what goes on Alberta can come up with a solution for everyone.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Artie,
I like your idea. If you can prove you are disabled, you can use a quad.

Don
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Paranoia runs deep in those whose motorized free for all is about to be curtailed
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Paranoia runs deep in those whose motorized free for all is about to be curtailed
This is part of the problem. A lot of people think it’s just the motorized vehicles. Sure gonna be a shock when they realize it’s just the beginning of the loss of other outdoor activities.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
As far as I am concerned they have gone to far. I admit that we needed some of the areas cleaned up but they have pretty well banned all quadding in the mountain and foothills areas of southern Alberta. Some of you will say good and that is your opinion other voters have good ideas as well.
When heli hiking first started I was against it until someone pointed out to me that most people heli hiking could not walk to the high alpine lakes and flying them in gives them a chance to enjoy the alpine areas. The same for quadding it allows Albertans the chance to see areas they would never enjoy if they had to walk. Some cannot walk others chose not to. Just like speeding limits on our highways we need regulations for all back country users. But we do not ban everybody who disagrees with you.
Just because Shannon Phillips and her Y2Y connections and her green peace connections who want to shut down the tar sands do not like it other 'Albertans who also have a say in what goes on Alberta can come up with a solution for everyone.
I agree with ya Artie. Not a "quadder" but I do own an ATV for hunting/working. Never used it but to plow my driveway last year and spread some gravel. It's a shame that OHV's are being shut down to this extent. I used to be able to get on a trail from my house and now I would have to trailer it more than 10km to get to the nearest authorized trail......and I probably won't use any of the authorized trails because they don't get me to where I want to go. That little sliver of a trail N of Frank?.........really?........what is that for? It's a slap in the face. It's like the government has no understanding that some OHV users don't want an amusement ride.

Calming picture in my backyard right now...

Last edited by CNP; 05-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM

I don't get it, and by the polarized reactions here, I'm even more confused.

What is the reason they say they are doing this?

What is the "real" reason?

Development?...Stopping development?

What will the impact be? No access at all? No OHV access? No hunting?

Why this area?

Will the same things happen in other areas?...which ones?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
This is part of the problem. A lot of people think it’s just the motorized vehicles. Sure gonna be a shock when they realize it’s just the beginning of the loss of other outdoor activities.
Do you have evidence that other activities are Gona have restrictions placed upon or is your tin foil hat on too tight?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Cowboys, NDP

I am just glad they left the Free Roam Cattle Alone. It is such a nice touch seeing hundreds of Lazy cattle over graze the meadows and stand belly deep in the clear blue rivers relieving their bowels for hours on end, most times they over-graze these same areas for weeks/months. (Way past the 14 day rule). The erosion from these critters is a bonus as well. It would have been a shame to ban/restrict these "Majestic Animals" the Same as they have other users of this public land.

The NDP, Shannon Philips, and a handful of "Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum Cowboys" for surely have this right.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Do you have evidence that other activities are Gona have restrictions placed upon or is your tin foil hat on too tight?

Please read up on the changes made in the castle area. Hint: more than atv usage.
By the way this whole fiasco started with “just the castle area”. Oh surprise it has migrated to porkies and livingstone.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 PM

What makes you believe Shanon is gonna tell you her game plan?She will let you know the day she Rams it down are throat as usual!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 PM

It is going to get real entertaining around here when some of these hunters and fishermen roll up to a locked gate on one of these many back country private roads and only to find themselves several km from their favorite staging/camping spot. If you think it won't happen then you haven't been paying attention.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Banned

Wonder what’s going to happen when they put the tack oil down on the road through the ecological area. Hopefully it doesn’t leach into the water that is on both sides of the road. I guess it doesn’t really matter because they have to dig through the area when the put the water line through there.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM

The whole process will be disastrous once it all goes through.
The Eastern Slopes along with the reduced Mountain area protection plan will end most if not all backcountry travel for all except the elite.

Last edited by ctd; 05-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Yes. Make way for the greedy and elitists.

Some can keep thinking this is another good thing. See what you think in 5 years from now.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 PM

Allot of these hunting and fishing areas are not going to be accessible without riding an ohv...It would be a couple overnight hikes just to get to areas previously accessible.

My family used a 4 person ohv which measures out to a 64" width which leaves me with only one tiny trail permitted for use

I feel bad for all the people with toy haulers that used to be able to ride from camp, now they have to either bring up a second vehicle with trailer or pack their trailer and fill the staging area with other toy haulers.

Who in Alberta is going to by these pricey units off kijiji now that they are useless??

I also used to enjoy heading out to crown land for some long distance shooting, waiting to see where they will post the signs showing the where that is going to be allowed and what it will entail??

whole thing ****es me off, we've gone out there for years, played by all the rules and are now convicts if we do what we used to enjoy
Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 PM

What a new idea! Hunting using your feet for locomotion...
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Did you ever know that you’re my heroooooooooo
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 PM

We’ve seen this before in the Ghost and it hasn’t shut down hunting or fishing. Just limited quad usage and random camping all over the bloody place. Got rid of the massive amount of destruction that was occurring and put it in single places that were easier to clean up.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
We’ve seen this before in the Ghost and it hasn’t shut down hunting or fishing. Just limited quad usage and random camping all over the bloody place. Got rid of the massive amount of destruction that was occurring and put it in single places that were easier to clean up.
One thing it did was send quaders to other areas. To places where they to are getting shutdown.
Some campers are pigs. Enforcement of laws and big fines would have taken care of this.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
One thing it did was send quaders to other areas. To places where they to are getting shutdown.
Some campers are pigs. Enforcement of laws and big fines would have taken care of this.
Is that why murder has halted in the US? The Death Penalty seems pretty big for enforcement but people keep killing others. Enforcement is great if people care or if the government has enough people but we don’t like PST here so we will deal with what we have I guess.
The Ghost is way better off now with the limiting of the OHV use to certain areas and camping nodes being implemented. Maybe the Ghost area should be used as a working example for what they should do in these areas as there’s still lots of room to play and camp.
And before you ask yes I own an OHV and ride it in the Ghost too.

Last edited by roughneckin; 05-21-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Is that why murder has halted in the US? The Death Penalty seems pretty big for enforcement but people keep killing others. Enforcement is great if people care or if the government has enough people but we don’t like PST here so we will deal with what we have I guess.
The Ghost is way better off now with the limiting of the OHV use to certain areas and camping nodes being implemented. Maybe the Ghost area should be used as a working example for what they should do in these areas as there’s still lots of room to play and camp.
And before you ask yes I own an OHV and ride it in the Ghost too.
There would be a lot more murders if there was no enforcement.
Oh, and before you ask, I don’t own an atv.
Closed Thread