Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM

Default What Bullet

So next year I plan on going out for elk and using my 270 win. but I think I need to change the ammo I'm shooting, right now I'm shooting Federal 150gr. soft points, but I'm not sure how well they would be for elk, what would you guys shoot?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Just my opinion, but the bullet you're using now should work just fine for elk under the majority of shooting conditions. I better penetrating bullet like a partition, TSX, or one of the bonded bullets might give better penetration on tougher angles, but if you can put that bullet you're using right now into the vitals, you're going to be eating elk steaks.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM

I like the Nosler accubond in 140 gr..Your soft points will work well also. Just stay away from SST's or Ballistic tips they will not hold there weight and are made for deer size animals or smaller..
Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks, but my soft points didnt hold there shape very well so wouldnt they just get lodged in the middle of the animal?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:04 PM

I used 150 gr nosler Partition in my 270 this year and Elk made it less than 25 yds. 200+ yd shot. No recovery on the bullet. Your Federal would do the job, shot placement is paramount.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:20 PM

just a point of view,

the wife shoots winchester super x soft points in 150 gr. she has never had a problem with any deer. granted its not an elk but it is heavy enough and most important you are already familiar with it so you know where the bullet will go. good luck on your hunt.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Again the go to this that or the other thing issue.
Shoot what shoots best in your rifle.
If you want to try a more robustly constucted bullet, then buy a box and try them in your rifle.
It might like them, it might hate them, who knows till you test drive em.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
sheephunter

Personally I'd look at something of a bit better construction. Try out a few of the different bonded bullets and some of the other premium style bullets and as Dick said...see what your gun likes. I've had incredible luck with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets and have yet to find a gun that doesn't like them but I'm sure there are some. As for bullet performance....it's as good as you can ask for.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Default 270 Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Again the go to this that or the other thing issue.
Shoot what shoots best in your rifle.
If you want to try a more robustly constucted bullet, then buy a box and try them in your rifle.
It might like them, it might hate them, who knows till you test drive em.

I personally like the 140gr Accubonds in my 270WSM's- reloads for 1 rifle, WS ammo in the other. Or maybe try the new WS XP3's in 150gr.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM

The bullet's ability to cause a large and fatal wound is a function of: a) its striking energy, b) its expansion &/or partial disentegration, and c) its penetration. [Source: Page 52 of Volume 1, HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS & RELOADERS BY P.O. Ackley]

It is my opinion that using anything less than a premium bullet for big game animal hunting (ie Nosler Partition, Accubond, etc) can result in one or more of the above functions not being realized. The results can and often are a wounded &/ or lost animal. I also believe (and personally found) this to true with fast velocity smaller calibre legal hunting rounds (that are not labeled as a "magnum"), such as the 25-06 REM and 270 WIN, for example.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 AM

The bullet's ability to cause a large and fatal wound is a function of: a) it's ability to reach and disrupt something vital to sustaining life.

Bullet construction has everything to do with that.