Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Default 165 grain vs. 180

Hello:

This really my be a silly question but I am trying to decide between using 165 vs. 180 grain ammo for deer, elk and moose in my .30-06's.

I have two .30-06's and the plan was to use one for deer and the other for bigger game (elk / moose). The ballistics chart of the manufacturer says at 200 yds, the energy in foot pounds difference is only 95 lbs in favor of the 180 grain bullet. Is this a big enough difference to concern myself with when using on elk / moose?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

168 grain Nosler Combined Technologies Silver Tips all the way in a .30-06 for this guy.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 AM

i use 180 grain in my gun for everything, i use the vital shock fed with the porslen tips the do alot of damage
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Bullet type will have just as much effect as the weight difference in both trajectory and energy at impact. That said either will do the job when you do yours. Just have to see which your gun likes better.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Winchester70

It's already been said..

Use what your rifle likes...best groups I mean.

165 or 180 gr will make no difference to a deer,elk or moose as long as you do your part and put the pill where it counts.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM

This is my first year with the 168g TSX's in my 30-06. They're a bit more expensive than other bullets but I figure I only shoot off a few per season so its not a big deal.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Which ever shoots best in your rifle.
Suggesting that Bullet A or Loading B is the go to, is non sensical.
You have to sit down and figure it out for your self and with your rifle.
Both will kill all the game you mention if you can hit where your aiming.
Evaluate, research, and practice.
Yes better constructed bullets may give you an edge, but if a regular cup/core bullet shoots better in your rifle, then the choice of accuracy will trump bullet construction hands down.
For the record I killed scores of game, moose included with the much maligned 165gr. Sierra boat tail out of a 30'06, and never recoverd a single bullet. I settled on the Sierra because it shot increadably out of that rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Default 30-06 Bullets

I will suggest Accubonds in 165gr. Great bullet. I use 140gr AB's in my 270WSM and it puts all big game down. I also use 180gr AB's in my 300WM
Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
sheephunter

With quality bullets, both weights are great for moose...pick the one that shoots best out of your rifle.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Which ever shoots best in your rifle.
Suggesting that Bullet A or Loading B is the go to, is non sensical.
You have to sit down and figure it out for your self and with your rifle.
Both will kill all the game you mention if you can hit where your aiming.
Evaluate, research, and practice.
Yes better constructed bullets may give you an edge, but if a regular cup/core bullet shoots better in your rifle, then the choice of accuracy will trump bullet construction hands down.
For the record I killed scores of game, moose included with the much maligned 165gr. Sierra boat tail out of a 30'06, and never recoverd a single bullet. I settled on the Sierra because it shot increadably out of that rifle.
The sierra 165 grain hollow point boattails are the quikest deer droppers ive ever found. Sierra says they are designed specificaly for big game.
Always use whatever load shoots best out of your rifle. At 100 yards off a sandbag a good load should shoot around a 1 inch group of 3 shots.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
With quality bullets, both weights are great for moose...pick the one that shoots best out of your rifle.
Nothing more to be said....
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Either the 165 or the 180 will do the job in a 30-06 and do it very well for all the species you mentioned and some you didn't. The downrange retained energy is a bit better with the 180 grain but at normal shooting distances, it doesn't amount to anything worth discussing.

However, where my opinion differs from some in this thread is the type of bullet you use. Terminal results are key. I feel the choice of bullet is far more important than the 15 grains of weight difference between them. I use Nosler Partitions when big game hunting. No matter how good a shooter someone is...things happen. Be it buck fever or simply that the animal moved just as you let the bullet go. IMO, premium bullets increase the odds of a clean and successful hunt. They work better on close up encounters without coming apart and they expand well down range. The extra cost is nominal and the performance difference can be very significant.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
It was already said...why guote a lame posts??
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Listen to Dick284 and Sheep try them both.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
It was already said...why guote a lame posts??
Just reiterating what Sheep said because his response was the most reasonable advise given...you feel like putting your 2 cents in?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589

It was already said...why quote a lame post??

After some editing for you, i must say, if you think his post was stupid, why post something equally "lame". When guys pipe up with remarks like yours, it grabs me enough to post about it. Dont be a dink and call guys down because they post to agree with other members of the board.

Now, not to be a hijack continuer, listen to the wisdom this site is offering you, sit down with a few different varieties of 30-06 and find what your rifle likes. Use quality and ensure they are hunting type bullets.

Last edited by 220swifty; 12-19-2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: had to edit myself too, oops
Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
sheephunter

Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 AM

Wow, I leave this place for a few months and things dont change......BE GONE WITH THE SCHITT DISTURBERS!

If it were me, I would find a 165gr. load that worked in my '06....you dont need nothing more for Alberta or N. America for that matter.

If you listen to folks like Dick or Sheep, or a handful (stressing on the HANDFULL part) you wont go wrong, they know the program.

Man oh man I hate sniper typers........am I alone??????
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrell View Post
The sierra 165 grain hollow point boattails are the quikest deer droppers ive ever found. Sierra says they are designed specificaly for big game.

I would have to throw a GIANT "beg to differ" on this one.

I aint getting into the "ethics" thing (Lord knows that horse has been beat to death around here), but you are likely using one of theeee most "un-killing" (and "un-ethical") game bullets ever derived.

To kinda quote you or Sierra by saying "designed specifically" for big game.....yikes, I would rather use a Ballistic tip (and that would never happen)......sheesh, Sierra dont build bullets for hunting, they build bullets for SHOOTING, certain folk need to get with the program

Take your Sierra & whack any N. American ungulate in the shoulder at 30yards and tell me its a "designed specifically" for big game bullet......man oh man, when are paople gonna stop believing everything they read????
Old 12-20-2007, 08:18 AM

i didnt realize that bullets named "Game King" and "Pro Hunter" were not designed for hunting (i know, they are the soft point boat tail, but you said Sierras) *the above was typed with moderate sarcasm*

As to driving one into the boiler room at 30 yds, i have, but not on an ungulate. It was in fact a 400 Lb Blackie that took a 215 gr Sierra out of my 338 at that range. The results, as expected, a complete sail through, and the bear had the dust rise to meet him he dropped so fast.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
i didnt realize that bullets named "Game King" and "Pro Hunter" were not designed for hunting
Marketing groups can say what they want to sell their garbage.....happens all the time, in every facet of life.

I'm sure your .338 junked a Bear at 30 yards, not much argument there (the argument could be with your claimed 400lb. Bear), I'm only guessing here, but 2700 or so fps isnt a HUGE test for a bullet, but thats not the discussion here, using these gobs of metal for Deer and claiming them to be "awesome" on said game is. Also considering the trend most are taking these days of the "speed kills" mentality, I'm speculating most will be pushing these same gobs of metal at better than 3000fps, which when you hit ANY big game animal in the shoulder at 30 yards is sure to give one less than the desired results.

Anyhow, I'm not about stealing someones thread when they have a valid question, I was only quoting someone else, and reflecting through my experience that the above mentioned bullet isnt neccessarily the best choice for hunting.....if you like them, fine, use them....but when things dont hit the dirt like you think they should, dont use your Rifle, cartridge or shooting as an excuse.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Sierras

Okay, cmfic1, please help me to "get with the program" and explain to me why you consider Sierras to be such an "un-killing" and "un-ethical" bullet.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Sorry, I used "un-ethical" as a smart azz type of word (due to the amount of dirt slung here considering whats ethical and whats not).

I guess when I re-read my above posts, one could gather that I am being a little rash in my personal views of these bullets. Sorry if I offended some, I just dont like them. I have guided many folks who used Sierras and to say I was totally un impressed with their performance would be an understatement.

As far as explaining why they may be "un-killing", I guess that may not have been the best term to use, sure they will kill, but their are tons out their that will perform better.

I'm sure most folks around here do a little reading, if they do, they will quickly realize that Sierra bullets are seldom used by outdoor writers and professional types across the globe........they write of several other quality projectiles, wonder if that means anything? maybe not though, typically they use what works!

Once again, if folks are offended......sorry, everyone gets & has an opinion.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Ok, not looking for a war, rather a discussion. I never take what i read to be gospel, especially in hunting magazines. The same marketing groups you point out also happen to pay those magazines to talk there bullets up. Sierra put there money into advertising on the match bullet side of things, nosler and barnes spend there ad dollars on pushing hunting bullets. They also charge accordingly. You always hear David Tubb talking Sierra MatchKing, and Craig Boddington talking Nosler and Barnes. Just in there interest, doesnt make them better or worse bullets.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
I would have to throw a GIANT "beg to differ" on this one.

I aint getting into the "ethics" thing (Lord knows that horse has been beat to death around here), but you are likely using one of theeee most "un-killing" (and "un-ethical") game bullets ever derived.

To kinda quote you or Sierra by saying "designed specifically" for big game.....yikes, I would rather use a Ballistic tip (and that would never happen)......sheesh, Sierra dont build bullets for hunting, they build bullets for SHOOTING, certain folk need to get with the program

Take your Sierra & whack any N. American ungulate in the shoulder at 30yards and tell me its a "designed specifically" for big game bullet......man oh man, when are paople gonna stop believing everything they read????
I called Sieara. They are very nice on the phone and will talk to you for an hour if you want. They will mail you loading info on any of their bullets. I had been using their 140 grainhpbt in 270 with great sucess. Every whitetail I hit went straight down without even leg movement. When I bought a new 308 I called them to find out which 30 caliber bullet would preform the same as the 140 did in 270. Theyt told me without a doubt the 165hpbt was their best deer bullet and all the guys who worked there use them in 30 cal guns.
I worked out a load with 46 grains of Vitoroy 140 and started hunting with them. Except for one big 9 point that went over 100 yards with only tiny scraps of lung left inside of him all the other buck and doe went straight down. The 13 point below wheighed over 200 lbs and flopped down on his chest with no leg kick or any sign of life left like he got hit by a 12 guage slug. I have never lost a deer with the siera hpbt's and only remember one even moving beyond the point of impact. Dont knock em if you havent tried em. Siera does make alot of target bullets that should never used for hunting.

Last edited by barrell; 12-20-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 PM

I too was not intending to war, just my opinion. I am glad you fellas have success with them. If it works for you, great. Wish you continued success.

You gotta like good customer service, in regards to phoning and being advised. There are alot of companies that will talk for quite awhile, unfortunately there are many who wont give a guy the time of day.

Awesome Buck there barrell!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Since we are into pictures, heres the 400 pound bear. I weigh 265 for comparison. Yeah i am set back a bit in the photo, but the rifle should give you an idea if comparison. Gotta love a cheap bullet that performs.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM

heeh swifty, that rifle looks real light the way that stock is hollowed out what it it? Nice bruin by the way!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Ruger M77 Mk II All weather, that is the old zytel stock. Chambered in 338 win mag
Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 PM

At 30-06 velocities I'd shoot whatever grain shoots the best group. With the 308 I've been pleased with Sierra's 180 grain round nose. Don't know if I'd try them in something that shot 200 feet a second or more faster though. In my experience Sierra bullets overall shoot better than any other brand, but as a hunting bullets it really depends on the bullet and velocity as some are soft. One caliber they do make excellent hunting bullets for though is the .375. The 300 is an excellent bullet. Shot a lot of game with it over the years and only ever recovered one. It was picture perfect mushroom and weight 224 grains. The 250gr bullet seems very good as well. Recovered my first 250 grain this fall after hitting collar bone on the way in, and close to 4 1/2 feet later it was perfectly mushroomed and 214 grains.