Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Default 325 Wsm

Looking a buying a Browning 325 WSM. Anyone using one? Any advice would be most welcomed!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
sheephunter

I guess you need to give us more info as to why you are looking at this particular calibre, what you will use it for....will you reload. If you want one just cause it's new and cool...then I say buy it. That's the best reason there is to get a new gun. It does what it says balistically but there are other cartridges that offer similar performance.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
jrs

"If you want one just cause it's new and cool...then I say buy it."

If i had a gun for every time i've thought that....wait a second
Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 AM

My buddy has a M70 in 325WSM that I was able to use on a big Muley doe this season. 200 yard broadside shot with a 220grn Sierra at 2700fps knocked her over, literally. Surprisingly though, there wasn't alot of meat damage as it just passed through and didn't expand.

No problems finding reloading components but factory offerings might be hard to come by. He has worked up a couple loads that are super accurate out to the longer ranges. Recoil was minor, more of a push. I keep trying to get him to sell it to me, but he won't bite. He'll probably see this thread and add his 2 cents.

Last edited by AbAngler; 12-19-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM

AB was right I'll chime in. Can't speak to the rifle choice as I've never shot a Browning bolt gun. As far as the 325WSM as a cartridge I think it is great. Recoil is surprisingly mild in my light weight rifle. I have had no problems getting it to shoot very accurately. Finding reloading components has also been very easy. I've shot 5 deer and 1 elk with it now, all using that 220gr Sierra load that AB mentioned above. Have recovered one bullet and that was out of the elk on a hard 1/4 away shot at 190yds. It broke 4 ribs on the way in, went through the vitals and ended up in the neck. On deer it has been very impressive. All one shot kills and other than a big buck I hammered in the shoulder on a 1/4'ng towards shot at about 20yards, very little meat damage.

If you want it go for it, wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything on this continent and won't part with mine.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM

I got the 325 wsm in the A bolt stalker,I have only had it for one season and the sask whitey I shot was dead before he hit the ground. Mine is super light and the recoil is only noticeable on the bench, but for shooting 180 and 200 grain bullets it's hard to beat for the minimal recoil. If your weight is even average you shouldn't have much problem with the recoil IMO. I have got the redding dies, but haven't had a chance to work up some loads yet. If you can reload your laughing, cuz the bullets in the store are pretty pricey comparitively speaking, usually 10 to 15 bucks more per box compared to 300 mag. All in all I like it because like was mentioned earlier it is new and cool, has some unique ballistic numbers for the minimal recoil, and not every one and their dog has one.