Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 AM

Default shotguns and light loads.

Been messin' lately with a bunch of BPI wads as well as AA's for lighter 12 guage loads for skeet and birds.

My father was right into and a firm believer in light trap loads, but C.I.L. discontiued them soon after the first production run IIRC because they didn't sell well.

I've got articles from the first edition of handloader about light loads, and there is a ton of info elsewhere as well.
I'm talking about a 7/8OZ load moving at 1,200FPS or better out of a 12 guage.

very interesting that the felt recoil and actual recoil is lower, but the patterns sre as good or better.
Some of these loads are very big on the sporting clays scene.

The big reason I started with them was to tone down the 12 bore loads for Silverado and others who shoot ruffys with me, so they don't bang up the birds as much but they can still shoot at close range with a 12 guage.
However, I've found that I can also shoot them in a lighter gun without discomfort even with my shoulder damage.
before, I could only shoot a gas gun or my old M12 with the Cutts on it.
Anybody else shoot the light suff?
Cat
Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Light loads

Cat a few years ago Kent Cartridge used to import Gamebore 7/8oz loads and I think they were 1260 fps, came in all the popular target shot sizes 7 1/2, 8 &9 shot. I bought several flats of these loads and the are very nice to shoot in pumps and over and unders. Real good target breaking energy and super light recoiling. FS