Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Default Honda vs Polaris

HI All,
I am looking to buy a quad and am having a tough time deciding what to buy? My logic is to see what people are selling, no honda's so that tells me they are better as I see quite a few polaris for sale. What do you think?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

no comparison at all really. Get a Honda and use it.

probably the toughest longest lasting machines ever made. The little extra you pay initially will come back to you in the end with saved headaches and a longer operating life.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

i wouldn't get a polaris quad.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Between those two choices I'd pick the Honda...........but I'm a Canam owner.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM

So what about a yamaha? I do agree on the honda, little more up front but I think the longevity will be the pay back.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I've had both and currently have two Polaris quads. Some of it depends on what your looking for as both machines have different features. I like them both equally but I think I'd get a Honda again next time.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw_93 View Post
So what about a yamaha? I do agree on the honda, little more up front but I think the longevity will be the pay back.
yamaha is a good machine in its own right....i have three of them...but he only gave two options...and between honda and polaris there is NO comparison IMO
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

I should have mentioned that polaris are much more friendly to beginner riders as far as operation goes.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I should have mentioned that polaris are much more friendly to beginner riders as far as operation goes.
how so?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
no comparison at all really. Get a Honda and use it.

probably the toughest longest lasting machines ever made. The little extra you pay initially will come back to you in the end with saved headaches and a longer operating life.
x2. Im a honda guy all the way. They build their stuff to last.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Honda has a much better reputation for reliability, as does Yamaha.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
how so?
well eventually you'll want a new quad not just the first quad you bought. so when you put the polaris up for sale and you can't sell it you could always rely on it's ability to burn itself down to the ground. that way you can collect insurance money and buy a real quad.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Honda. They're built to last. I have a 91 fourtrax and the thing is beat to sh!t, everything on that quad is falling apart from all the crap it was put through and the engine is still solid.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

So honda eh? I have looked in the states to buy new and its about 2-3k difference. Anyone ever done that?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw_93 View Post
So honda eh? I have looked in the states to buy new and its about 2-3k difference. Anyone ever done that?
Maybe, but make sure that the warranty is good in Canada too.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Before looking at the USA try Albert at Lac LaBiche sporting goods, the price difference may not be as much as you think.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
how so?
Single lever brake that operates both front and rear brakes at the same time, just put it in gear and go no shifting required, one switch to have them in true 4X4 or 2wd.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Single lever brake that operates both front and rear brakes at the same time, just put it in gear and go no shifting required, one switch to have them in true 4X4 or 2wd.
it may just be me, but i see no advantage to any of those features....just selling points that really have no bearing on the actual field performance of the machine.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Actually, in some situations , as in steep hills, separate front and rear brakes can be an advantage. As far as Automatic transmissions are concerned, Honda has them as well, as do most other companies. As far as "true 4x4" is concerned, Polaris has "all wheel drive", they do not have true four wheel drive. In the case of true 4 wheel drive, all four wheels are locked together, and turn at the same speed. With all wheel drive,the rear tires must first slip,in order for the front wheels to receive power.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Honda. They're built to last. I have a 91 fourtrax and the thing is beat to sh!t, everything on that quad is falling apart from all the crap it was put through and the engine is still solid.
ive seen more than a few that have been put through the wringer and you cant kill a honda.

a few weeks back I went up north to check trail cams with a buddy on his land and he had an old fourtrax sitting in the bush...uncovered since november 15th 2010....we gave it a quick boost and i drove that thing all day long....if any of you have been in the valleyview area this year you know i had to go through a LOT of water...and that machine didnt hiccup once.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually, in some situations , as in steep hills, separate front and rear brakes can be an advantage
or loading and unloading off the truck or trailer.

4x4 with front and back locked diff's is a very different thing than all wheel drive.

i didnt really know what bug meant by "true" 4x4....no that you cleared that up...i dont like it LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
ive seen more than a few that have been put through the wringer and you cant kill a honda.

a few weeks back I went up north to check trail cams with a buddy on his land and he had an old fourtrax sitting in the bush...uncovered since november 15th 2010....we gave it a quick boost and i drove that thing all day long....if any of you have been in the valleyview area this year you know i had to go through a LOT of water...and that machine didnt hiccup once.
My Honda had a hiccup when water went over the bars haha. 16,000 km and still going strong!
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM

My Honda likes to go in water over the bars. Aslong as I keep the snorkel dry! Lol
Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Between those two choices I'd pick the Honda...........but I'm a Canam owner.
x2

artic cat is another option if you want to go places quads ain't ment to be I was in the hills the other day with my cuz who has a 400 artic cat and he was going every where my canam outlander 800 was going even though he was getting there slower
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

If you don't know (by now), I ain'ta gonna tell you....no contest
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Default honda

2000 honda still going stong. you couldn't give me a new polaris for it.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually, in some situations , as in steep hills, separate front and rear brakes can be an advantage. As far as Automatic transmissions are concerned, Honda has them as well, as do most other companies. As far as "true 4x4" is concerned, Polaris has "all wheel drive", they do not have true four wheel drive. In the case of true 4 wheel drive, all four wheels are locked together, and turn at the same speed. With all wheel drive,the rear tires must first slip,in order for the front wheels to receive power.
What a lot of people dont realize is that when the rear tires have slipped(which cant even be seen most of the time)the quad is locked solid in 4wd.This system has been around for 25 years now and actually works really well.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 AM

Honda all the way.

I've got a 1989 Trike as a 2nd machine that is STILL running -very- strong.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 AM

I had an older polaris 1994 350 2 stroke it was good ,steel racks etc. All other brands could not keep up with it back then . But thinks have changed sinced then.
Honda all the way .
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Honda definately if you are looking for years of reliability. However I own a 95 Polaris 500 4 stroke. It has given me almost flawless service for the last 14 years that I've owned it. I have owned and driven Honda and Yamaha, and currently own a Yamaha Grizzly (and the 95 Polaris). But none of them have provided the sheer fun of a Polaris ride. I'm not sure what it is about the old Polaris but I like it's ride better than any other I've tried. As for maintaining it? I don't know what garbage pile they found the polaris engineers under, but my god they have done some incredibly stupid things in putting those machines together. As for the newer 800 Polaris machines, not sure, I haven't tried them.
Whichever way you go, make sure you get independent rear suspension.