Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrod1970 View Post
It's not quite 0 enforcement, in my 10 years of fishing alberta I have been stopped twice by a CO. Once on the crowsnest (last year) and once on gull lake (several years ago). I havn't done the math on what the ratio of days fished to those 2 instances that I was checked but I would say it's probably about .001% enforcement!

It is good to know that someone is being punished though!
I'll do my math for you.

Fishing since I was 10...

Average of 25 times on water and 10 times ice fishing per year (conservative)
Number of times I have been checked. 0

I'm now 29 so I have fished 665 consecutive times without being stopped. My ratio is 0%

Pleasure craft operator. - I recieved mine at 15. I boat on average 30 days per year. 14 x 30 = 420 consecutive outages without having to produce a boating licence. My ratio on this is also 0%

On that note however I have called RAP 2 times in the last 5 years. Each incident the suspected was visited by an officer.

Conclusion:
Honest law abiding fisherman - 0 enforcement checks
suspected law breakers - 100%
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM

I would be happy to pay an extra $10-$20 per licence just to see more CO's out there.

Unfortunately, I've been only been approached 5-6 times in the last 20 years, worse yet on at least one occasions, it was not a pleasant experience. Take the one "drunken with power guy" experience away, and I'd be more than happy to have a CO at my boat every second outing.

I think these guys have a tough job with all the criminals out there and simply not enough resources and manpower.

Only one way to fix that - generate (or allocate) more funds to enforcement.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Anyone got a picture of this guy?

I know 2 Ron Allen's...

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM

At the lakes I frequent, I get checked by F&W about once every 3 to 4 outings in the winter months and about once every 6 outings in the summer months. 20 years ago I would get checked every 2nd outing summer or winter. There needs to be more F&W officers out there. They need more funds. The Provincial Gov should step up to the plate and provide them with the funds at no charge to the fisherman and fisherwoman. Suck it up Gov and lose some of those costly perks you all get and protect our fishery. Maybe the licence fees should go up a little but its almost too high now. Maybe close 1/2 the lakes to fishing thus more F&W to visit the fishable lakes. Would obvious if a boat or truck was on the lake as to what they are doing with a drive by, by F&W, then they could nail those poachers on those closed lakes. Leaving more time and oficers to vist and check all on the open lakes. Also it may provide a better fishery if 1/2 lakes were closed for a couple years.
Glad they got caught!

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
x2. Thanks for posting this Don!
x3
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Federal Enforcement notification website:

Environment Canada Enforcement Notifications

Once its in the courts its public knowledge, no reason Alberta couldn't do this for court convicitons (every ticket might be a little much).
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Maybe close 1/2 the lakes to fishing thus more F&W to visit the fishable lakes. Would obvious if a boat or truck was on the lake as to what they are doing with a drive by, by F&W, then they could nail those poachers on those closed lakes. Leaving more time and oficers to vist and check all on the open lakes. Also it may provide a better fishery if 1/2 lakes were closed for a couple years.
Glad they got caught!
We already have such a terrible ratio of lakes to fishermen/women now...if half the fishable lakes were closed to angling could you imagine the pressure on those that remained open?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM

The punishment fits the crime and I think it is fair. The best way to deter poaching is to report them. This is a perfect example of how the system works. We all have cell phones with cameras nowadays. We as responsible anglers can do more to curb the issue than any government program by simply getting involved. I do not condone approaching the individual directly, but you can do a lot by walking away and making a call.

I certainly hope those of you suggesting a death sentence for catching 6 bulls is sarcasm because that type of attitude is not helping your cause, it is hurting it.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
We already have such a terrible ratio of lakes to fishermen/women now...if half the fishable lakes were closed to angling could you imagine the pressure on those that remained open?
Then drop the limits on the others or C & R

Or make the licences, You can only get one on your odd or even years like when they set watering lawns. Say Your birthday is 1970, Can only get a licence on even years.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Figured this would be a good spot for an idea I have,,, let's say we create a pay as you go fishing license as do you really think this poacher will stop poaching?

Here's my idea,,, everybody buys a flat rate fishing license the regular way, and everytime you head out you stop by a roadway or gas station setup with a win number receiver.

Your thoughts?
This will be my first posting... but... hell I wanna know who is going to man that swiping station when I am getting on hard water at 5:00 AM ...
I think this idea is an epic PITA.
LOL
Sorry man... but really glad you aren't in charge :-)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Second Post for me..:-)
Anyways... If they want to deter poachers, then stop watering down the punishment, Should not have dropped other chargers and.. They have the ability to take anything that was used to perpetrate the crime.. that includes the guy's vehicle... Sell the vehicle.. donate the funds to more lake stockings and open up some damned Walleye limits.
- Wishin
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinIBFishin View Post
Second Post for me..:-)
Anyways... If they want to deter poachers, then stop watering down the punishment, Should not have dropped other chargers and.. They have the ability to take anything that was used to perpetrate the crime.. that includes the guy's vehicle... Sell the vehicle.. donate the funds to more lake stockings and open up some damned Walleye limits.
- Wishin
The other charges may not have been convictable, but were laid to add weight to the case.
Cat
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinIBFishin View Post
This will be my first posting... but... hell I wanna know who is going to man that swiping station when I am getting on hard water at 5:00 AM ...
I think this idea is an epic PITA.
LOL
Sorry man... but really glad you aren't in charge :-)
Tiz fine,,, I was just trying to figure out more revenue to get more officers,, just idras but here's one; if you have an infraction like a $6000 one, do they take your license away? Or are you allowed to keep it?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 PM

I hope they start to really nail poachers to the wall it will at least curb the people that are not entirely losers!!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Or make the licences, You can only get one on your odd or even years like when they set watering lawns. Say Your birthday is 1970, Can only get a licence on even years.
Thats absolutely crazy! How about a government that actually sees our other resources as an asset and invests according into them. Does actually studies and then implements them. That'd be something to see, decent stocking programs, healthier ecosystems, and more enforcement. We have the water to be world class, so why not!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Folks,

Many are passionate about their fisheries resource. Rather than posting here, let your MLA know your sentiments.
Only they can get resources moved to enforcement.

Regards,

Slo...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Default getting dangerous fishing

VULCAN, Alta. — A Calgary man is recovering from injuries after he was attacked for videotaping someone illegally fishing at a southern Alberta reservoir.

RCMP and wildlife officials say the victim was punched and kicked by two men Sunday after he taped the alleged poaching at the Travers Reservoir near Vulcan.

The injured man was able to get the licence plate of his attackers, but no charges have been laid.

Darren Unreiner, a fish and wildlife officer, says it’s the first time he’s ever heard of a poaching-related assault at the reservoir.

Unreiner says usually if people are caught illegally fishing, they will immediately return their catch to the water.

Fish and Wildlife officers say illegal fishing at the reservoir is increasing because poachers are taking advantage of the fact there’s no cellphone service in the area for people to immediately call the authorities.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...#ixzz2BVJIpDjt
Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
My thoughts exactly when I read the post.

My 2 cents is get more CO's out there, which means we fishermen (or taxpayers) ante up. We ether pay more for the licenses or pay more tax - the cost is something the "government" won't re-allocate - they will just look to us for more money. I, for one, would be happy to pay a little to get a lot in return and protect our resource.

I'd say, at the same time, We must be ensuring the fines and penalties are high or strict enough to curb some of these criminals. Let's look at more jail time, public service etc... for certain cases.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM

This chaps my ass x10! I fish those waters on a regular basis and the only time i've ever seen enforcement is at the one boat launch at saunders. They were handing out tickets to guys for open beer. Poachers beware. River boat gamblin will lookin for ya! We throw back if a rocky is even close to borderline let alone a banned fish.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM

one more thing. I agree with ezm. Albertans need to start paying an ACCESS fee to public lands. People are willing to drop 100 bucks a year to go into the national parks, why not provincial lands. We payed 60 bucks for a blm pass in California (yearly)when we went down to the dunes. It went on the dash of my truck. it's simple and pays for a heck of alot of enforcement.If you want to park on public lands and use public recreation areas, pay the fee. Hell, you could add it to your vehicle registration you pay yearly.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

http://www.westerncanadiangamewarden.com/

love this magizine as it goes indepth into the poaching busts etc......
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Would you be willing to sit on the sidelines every other year? What about if you and your kids were on opposite years?.....that sort of system would not work very well in my opinion....

Alberta is unique in that the ratio of fisherman to fishable/fish containing water bodies is so out of whack.....

LC
Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrgtr View Post
one more thing. I agree with ezm. Albertans need to start paying an ACCESS fee to public lands. People are willing to drop 100 bucks a year to go into the national parks, why not provincial lands. We payed 60 bucks for a blm pass in California (yearly)when we went down to the dunes. It went on the dash of my truck. it's simple and pays for a heck of alot of enforcement.If you want to park on public lands and use public recreation areas, pay the fee. Hell, you could add it to your vehicle registration you pay yearly.
If you have to pay a fee....then the lands cease to be public, then a private company will put in a bid to handle things and then we have free enterprise taking over access to public lands.....no thanks!

LC
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks Lefty for responding to two terrible ideas! Give your heads a shake guys.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Thanks Lefty for responding to two terrible ideas! Give your heads a shake guys.
I don't think the answer to catching poachers is to limit opportunities of the responsible anglers......the answer IMHO is for people to be diligent in using RAP as intended (even though the results may not be great)....and for our Government to wake the %&$* up and hire more bodies in the field....

I for one am happy to be pulled over and checked when I am hunting or fishing....lets me know we actually have guys in the field doing what they are supposed to be doing.

LC
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM

You guys are really over reacting, a 6,000$ fine is plenty to drive the point home. That persons family is not having Christmas this year due to his mistake. Admittedly I do not know all the details in the case but I have a hard time believing that after getting hit this hard he would be a repeat offender. Its a painful lesson to learn, and stepping up the fines/ adding jail time/ modifying any of the current laws is a foolish endeavor.

Fish and Wildlife have the tools to do the job and if its an issue of enforcement do a blanket increase on the cost of fishing licenses of 5$'s province wide that would definitely help without taking up a reactionary like position.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM

B_Type13X2,

Great idea. A surcharge to the user for enforcement of wildlife regs. I'm hoping the AF&G ASSoc jumps all over this.

And just think - an surcharge for traffic cops when you buy your driving license.

regards,

Don
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
B_Type13X2,

Great idea. A surcharge to the user for enforcement of wildlife regs. I'm hoping the AF&G ASSoc jumps all over this.

And just think - an surcharge for traffic cops when you buy your driving license.

regards,

Don
Yes, that's the way it goes. Money for programs, like adding enforcement, needs to come from somewhere.

Maybe, seeing as we are using the resource, and some of us would like more enforcement, then some of us should be willing to pay for it. i would be happy to pay $10 more for a fishing licence.

I don't believe in the Easter bunny, nor am I going to whine about issues without providing realistic and viable options. Paying more to get more seems ok to me.

Unless your Easter bunny brings bags of cash, or has a magic wand to stop poachers, ....... pay up if you want change.

If you are happy with the limited resources our CO have, cool, peace be with you, then you can't complain about how little they can do and how many criminals they can catch and charge ......

Choice is yours ......choice is mine

I choose the easter bunny and the magic wand
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Figured this would be a good spot for an idea I have,,, let's say we create a pay as you go fishing license as do you really think this poacher will stop poaching?

Here's my idea,,, everybody buys a flat rate fishing license the regular way, and everytime you head out you stop by a roadway or gas station setup with a win number receiver.

When f&w ask for your license to fish, a swipe of your win tells f&w that yiu can fish that day or a number of days you picked. If you have infractions, the daily sign on method would have disallowed you to fish.

If you fished 10 times over the year, then the next year your flat rate of $26.00 wiuld be the same but if you fished 100 times -or over the flat rate max- you would have to pay .50 ¢ per outing the next time you get a license. This would generate more towards f&w and curb poaching a bit.
Wait! There's more,,,, seniors and kids would have to get licences too for $5.00,, yup,, geezers and kids,, or a family license,,, this way kids dont get to be the poachers excuse for barbs and bait and lack of knowledge.

I've become bitter as of late,,, long story best saved for another day.

Your thoughts?
Why not create a registry for fishing rods? brilliant, only put the cost on the baby boomers, awesome, really shouldn't give our betters any ideas though.
I don't pay enough taxes anyway, people need my money more than I do.
Glad FW caught him. fine should be larger.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM

I don't think the ideas terrible at all.... Works all across the states. You wanna boondock ect. you should have a pass. Pretty simple