Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Default Oh those Russians...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...cid=spartanntp

MOSCOW — A Russian military helicopter gunship accidentally fired on spectators during war games in western Russia, injuring several people, news reports said Tuesday.

The Russian military acknowledged that a helicopter accidentally fired a rocket during drills, but did not say when and where it happened. It insisted that no one was hurt in the incident.

The video released on the online 66.ru, RBC and Life.ru news portals showed a pair of Ka-52 helicopter gunships sweeping low at the Luzhsky range, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) east of the border with Estonia, during the Zapad (West) 2017 maneuvers. The video showed one of the helicopters firing a rocket that explodes next to a spectator on a parking lot.

66.ru said Tuesday two people were seriously wounded and two vehicles were destroyed in the incident. It said the accident happened Sunday or Monday, and that the video was provided by an unidentified witness.

Life.ru said the rocket exploded near a crowd of journalists, military experts and foreign military attaches.

It said a preliminary investigation by military officials indicated the incident was caused by a short-circuit in the helicopter's electric system that resulted in the accidental launch of the rocket. Life.ru also posted a cockpit video, showing the rocket's impact.

Both Life.ru and RBC reported that the incident took place Saturday and say that three people were injured.

Russian President Vladimir Putin accompanied by the top military brass attended the drills at the range on Monday.

The Russian military's Western Military District acknowledged Tuesday that the video was genuine. It denied that it happened Monday, but didn't specify when or where the incident in the video took place. It insisted that no one was hurt, and that just one military truck was damaged.

The military said the incident was caused by the failure of the helicopter's targeting system.

The Zapad 2017 maneuvers, held jointly by Russia and Belarus, got underway Thursday at several firing ranges in both countries and run through Wednesday. The drills have rattled some NATO members, including the Baltic states and Poland, who have criticized an alleged lack of transparency about the war games and questioned Moscow's intentions.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

I hope Borat was not injured in war maneuvers misunderstanding ,,, hahaha

NICE ! NOT !
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Cool Meh

Just another friendly fire incident. Only difference is, this time it wasn't done by the Yanks
Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Just another friendly fire incident. Only difference is, this time it wasn't done by the Yanks
It wasn't blue on blue - it was blue on white this time.

The best part though is the whole no one was injured
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM

don't know if it is an urban legend, or if it would even be applicable to this particular case...
but...

i remember reading about a couple of highway troopers who were sitting on the side of the road somewhere close to the military airport. a couple of fighter jets where taking a low sweep, or approaching for landing, so one of the troopers decided he'd laser the jet, to see how fast it goes.

long story short, noone died, but apparently the laser from the speed gun was detected by the defence system on the jet that thought it was the guiding laser for the missile, and anti-missile system was engaged. only because it was a training flight those jets didn't have real ammo, otherwise there would be a nice crater instead of troopers' cruiser.

to me sounds at least like a plausible scenario to the situation...
Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
don't know if it is an urban legend, or if it would even be applicable to this particular case...
but...

i remember reading about a couple of highway troopers who were sitting on the side of the road somewhere close to the military airport. a couple of fighter jets where taking a low sweep, or approaching for landing, so one of the troopers decided he'd laser the jet, to see how fast it goes.

long story short, noone died, but apparently the laser from the speed gun was detected by the defence system on the jet that thought it was the guiding laser for the missile, and anti-missile system was engaged. only because it was a training flight those jets didn't have real ammo, otherwise there would be a nice crater instead of troopers' cruiser.

There's no automatic defence system that launches missiles or ordanance, it might deploy flares or chaff mind you. But active defence weapons, nope, the risk is too great if something went sideways.

I remember hearing about military aircraft using their counter measures to jam police radar, mind you.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
There's no automatic defence system that launches missiles or ordanance, it might deploy flares or chaff mind you. But active defence weapons, nope, the risk is too great if something went sideways.

I remember hearing about military aircraft using their counter measures to jam police radar, mind you.
CFB Esquimalt Naval Yard have had incidents with Ships Radar causing all kinds of havoc with Residential Security Systems and Garage door openers in years past.(1996ish?)
(ships radar being either navigation or ships defense radar/weapons tracking systems)

As for the topic of the Friendly Fire there was a clip on the internet yesterday where someone was walking towards said vehicle and they where within the blast zone form that fired rocket .

Rob
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post

. . . The Russian military's Western Military District acknowledged Tuesday that the video was genuine. It denied that it happened Monday, but didn't specify when or where the incident in the video took place. It insisted that no one was hurt, and that just one military truck was damaged. . . .

That sounds like an open admission of the "ineffectiveness" of Russian weaponry
Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
but...

I think all that happens is the 'laser/radar lock' (no sure what its actually called) alarm will sound in the cockpit. I heard that the Americans in Afghanistan were getting bent out of shape because troops on the ground were using laser range finders to target the helicopters patrolling above. I guess the sensor cant tell the difference between and range finder and a guided missile.

again, might be a old solider tale meant to scare the rookies on guard duty. I Heard multiple variations of the same story from a few different guys. some seemed legit, some were almost certainly a tall tale.