Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Default Calgary mayor

I have not heard much about who is running for mayor of Calgary and what they stand for. Maybe we should bring Bronco back. It seems we need a mayor who is jack of all trades, can get the economy and development going, build a new arena and reduce taxes. Oh yes be honest with the tax payers and not take direction from the Manning foundation. Anyone foot that bill?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Yyc

Bronco ... the liberal...no thanks, thats the last thing we need now.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Bronco was better than Duerr, but he wasn't a high mark in Calgary politics. Duerr was asleep at the wheel so far as infrastructure went, I can't recall a single proper interchange built during his tenure but some important intersections that absolutely should have had interchanges & bridges did get built (and rebuilt) as traffic snarling sets of traffic lights and freeway-flow blockades. Take for instance Bow Trail at Sarcee as well as Richmond Rd at Sarcee; both of those should have been interchanges. I saw he applied the same 'logic' to his home when I got in there as a favor to someone house sitting it: big glass-walled two storey high open concept addition but still running the orginal 1950's furnaces......
Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 PM

In recent history most mayors once elected stay as long as they want. The only one that I recalled that did not get reelected was Ross Algers who got defeated by Ralph.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Calgary needs an old drunk like Ralph with some common sense to run for Mayor. Someone that doesn't waste money on useless hunks of steel that are supposed to be considered art and says things like they are.

Do those people exist anymore?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Bronco was better than Duerr, but he wasn't a high mark in Calgary politics. Duerr was asleep at the wheel so far as infrastructure went, I can't recall a single proper interchange built during his tenure but some important intersections that absolutely should have had interchanges & bridges did get built (and rebuilt) as traffic snarling sets of traffic lights and freeway-flow blockades. Take for instance Bow Trail at Sarcee as well as Richmond Rd at Sarcee; both of those should have been interchanges. I saw he applied the same 'logic' to his home when I got in there as a favor to someone house sitting it: big glass-walled two storey high open concept addition but still running the orginal 1950's furnaces......
And that's why he was called Al didn't Duerr.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
And that's why he was called Al didn't Duerr.
In spite of Al didn't Duerr, he stayed in office for about 12 years. Calgary seems to elect mayors for as long as they want to stay.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Calgary Needs

A - B - N

Anybody but Nenshi
Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
Calgary Needs

A - B - N

Anybody but Nenshi
X2

We need a voice to keep issues out there. Way too much appethy goes on in the vote. I dont care who you vote for, but be informed about their track record
and know what you are voting for.

At home I was banned from discussing politics and my rants about Nenshi.
For medical reasons my wife took over the bill payments for our home.
You should hear the blue streak when she now discusses Nenshi.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
In spite of Al didn't Duerr, he stayed in office for about 12 years. Calgary seems to elect mayors for as long as they want to stay.
That's true, I'm just not sure if that's a reflection of the quality of the elected candidates or the people voting. Duerr never wanted to spend money or raise taxes, which garnered him a lot of votes. Now we've had a council for a couple of terms who spend money like drunken sailors and try to be everything to everybody. All elected by the same citizens.

I live in a ward that until recently had Druh as an alderman (boundary change). In repeated elections, the number of people who voted for candidates other than the incumbent was greater than the number of votes the incumbent received.
How do you tell 3 or 4 qualified candidates that they'll never achieve the change the people want by splitting the vote?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
X2

We need a voice to keep issues out there. Way too much appethy goes on in the vote. I dont care who you vote for, but be informed about their track record
and know what you are voting for.

At home I was banned from discussing politics and my rants about Nenshi.

MAC
Can you remember back when Nenshi was the "political expert" MRC prof that was always interviewed regarding city council issues? He would go on about how dysfunctional the council of the day was and how they spent too much money and took tax payers for granted. Then he ran for mayor on the platform of being a kid raised in Forest Lawn who knew the value of a dollar.

Problem was the more dollars he took in, the more he valued them. And don't even get me started on dysfunctional councils with Nenshi's leadership skills.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Can you remember back when Nenshi was the "political expert" MRC prof that was always interviewed regarding city council issues? He would go on about how dysfunctional the council of the day was and how they spent too much money and took tax payers for granted. Then he ran for mayor on the platform of being a kid raised in Forest Lawn who knew the value of a dollar.

Problem was the more dollars he took in, the more he valued them. And don't even get me started on dysfunctional councils with Nenshi's leadership skills.
Agree 100 %
I remember the day he first was elected and thought OH well he ran as a fiscaly conservative, he might be alright
How wrong was I. You are right he puts alot of value on the dollar and wants it all plus the adoration of his fans

MAC

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
Calgary Needs

A - B - N

Anybody but Nenshi
You got that right.

Bill Smith seems like the only one running with half a brain. He will be getting my vote.

I've had enough of Barney running around with his chit eating grin.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
You got that right.

Bill Smith seems like the only one running with half a brain. He will be getting my vote.

I've had enough of Barney running around with his chit eating grin.
I will agree Bill Smith has my attention right now. Spoke to a friend yesterday and we came around to Bill Smith and he mentioned he used to do work with his firm and that he was a straight shooter and a stand up guy.

MAC

Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agree 100 %
I remember the day he first was elected and thought OH well he ran as a fiscaly conservative, he might be alright
How wrong was I. You are right he puts alot of value on the dollar and wants it all plus the adoration of his fans

MAC
That's why around here we call him Nancy Spendshi. Never met a dollar he didn't like and has the interpersonal skills of a 13 year old school girl in a clique.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:49 PM

A-b-n
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
A-b-n
Sounds good, but won't work. See my discussion regarding aldermen above.

It can't be ABN, it has to be focus on one quality candidate and put your vote there
Take a quick review of the last provincial election in this province and see where the Anybody But...... strategy got us.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Sounds good, but won't work. See my discussion regarding aldermen above.

It can't be ABN, it has to be focus on one quality candidate and put your vote there
Take a quick review of the last provincial election in this province and see where the Anybody But...... strategy got us.
I was kidding and yes I follow all levels of Government
Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 PM

The question is what to believe? If you listen to Danielle Smith and her talk show she is all against the mayor and thinks the flames have got a bad deal. If you listen to other news channels they claim the flames were given the same deal as Edmonton but they want more. Is the flames ownership trying to pull a fast one on the voters or is Danielle Smith correct. Is the mayor and council disfunctional as Danielle claims or is this been funded by the secret organization funding drop Nanshi campaign. I think we need more honesty and these secrete organizations should have to say who they are and who funds them. This is getting to be more than old time dirty politics. Me I do not know what to believe.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The question is what to believe? If you listen to Danielle Smith and her talk show she is all against the mayor and thinks the flames have got a bad deal. If you listen to other news channels they claim the flames were given the same deal as Edmonton but they want more. Is the flames ownership trying to pull a fast one on the voters or is Danielle Smith correct. Is the mayor and council disfunctional as Danielle claims or is this been funded by the secret organization funding drop Nanshi campaign. I think we need more honesty and these secrete organizations should have to say who they are and who funds them. This is getting to be more than old time dirty politics. Me I do not know what to believe.
If you need Danielle Smith to tell you that the council is dysfunctional then you haven't been paying very close attention. Personally I don't give a rats behind what she says and she'd be one of the last people I'd trust to give me the straight goods on anything.

When the current mayor comes out and says he wants to hire a council meeting facilitator for over $100K/yr because the meetings are dysfunctional you've heard all you need to know about him. That's his friggen job for crying out loud and he himself admits he can't do it. Which is not a surprise because I doubt he could run bath water let alone a meeting of adults with opposing views on issues.

Don't get too caught up in the Flames issue here. It's just two sides trying to see who can pizz higher on the wall in an election year. There's far bigger fish to fry in Calgary and another council like the last two will pizz away a lot more of your money on other things than they could ever spend on an arena.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The question is what to believe? I think we need more honesty and these secrete organizations should have to say who they are and who funds them. This is getting to be more than old time dirty politics. Me I do not know what to believe.
I'm not concerned with who a group of people are who want to vote out an incompetent politician. If you're truly concerned about who's funding who, you might want to ask our mayor who contributed to pay off his legal bill of over $300K when he ran his mouth during the last election and wound up in court.

He makes well over $200K/yr and yet he only paid less than $17K of his own money towards the legal bill. He's no stranger to dirty politics and who is he beholding to for paying off his bill?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM

Bill Smith.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 PM

"these secrete organizations should have to say who they are and who funds them."

Who and where are they. What organization are you speaking of.

MAC

Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 AM
Banned

"I don't agree with his Bart killing policy, buuut i dooo aprove of his Selma killing policy! "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLodoQLYDhQ
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All are snakes, some just slither slightly differently...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
"I don't agree with his Bart killing policy, buuut i dooo aprove of his Selma killing policy! "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLodoQLYDhQ
that was good.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 AM

I'm voting for Bill Smith. Was a Calgary fire fighter for many years, then became a lawyer. Very nice man and family, honest and straight shooter.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
X
Did Nenshi cause your bill payments to go up?

What happened?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
I'm voting for Bill Smith. Was a Calgary fire fighter for many years, then became a lawyer. Very nice man and family, honest and straight shooter.
This.

I think its important for our leaders to be well rounded people. Don't forget that Bill and his wife have raised 4 kids. Running a household of that size is not easy. A man with a family has a better chance of understanding ordinary people as opposed to a man who lived in his parents basement until a few years ago and who spent his whole life in school.

Bill will be getting my vote.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Bill Smith for Mayor and my councillor.....hopefully he is gone as well.