Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 PM

i you want to play why not take the 283 out put it away for later i'd get the 327 awasome engine .if you decide you want to sell it and the buyer wants original you've got it.then if the price is right fix it and put it back in.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 AM

https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl...evrolet-impala

Performance

ENGINE 0 TO 60 MPH QUARTER MILE SOURCE
427ci/390hp 7.9 sec 16.3 sec @ 88 mph Motor Trend
Drivetrain

Available Engines:
Turbo-Fire 327 327ci 1x4bbl 275 hp n/a
Turbo-Fire 283 283ci 1x4bbl 220 hp n/a
Turbo-Fire V8 283ci 1x2bbl 195 hp n/a
Turbo-Thrift 250 Six 250ci 1x1 155 hp n/a
Turbo-Jet 396 396ci 1x4bbl 325 hp n/a
Turbo-Jet 427 427ci 1x4bbl 390 hp n/a
Turbo-Jet 427 427ci 1x4bbl 425 hp n/a
Available Transmissions:
Powerglide
Overdrive
4-Speed Synchromesh
3-Speed Synchromesh
Turbo Hydra-Matic

I would go crate engine and change the tranny out also.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned

Its obviously not a daily driver so if your new to this then get a book and pull the engine. Stip it down to a bare block. Send the block/crankshaft and heads to a reputable engine shop. Have the block line bored for the crank and cam. Get the cam bearings pressed in by them. The crank shaft will get turned, balance it if you want but not required. Have the heads gone over and planed. They will bore the cylinders and supply you with the right pistons and rings. Get the complete gasket set from them as well. Then bring em home and put it back together. The money you will save you can buy a rebuilt carb and all the required tools, rent an engine hoist and still put money in your pocket. Just no warranty. The only parts you can re-use the piston rods and pins and the push rods if they are straight. A cam package will come with the cam and the lifters. Its really easy to do all this and rewarding as well. You could get a short block done as well which is everything done in the block only. Then put the top half together yourself. Or sell it and get a harley lol
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow View Post
It is an all original car, only 26000 miles on it. And it is a three on the tree transmission. last spring i replaced the brakes with OEM drum brakes all around and new exhaust.

I don't want to get into replacing the rear end, suspension, brakes, etc, if I don't have to.

Sadly, I don't have any knowledge about motors, and camshafts, etc, and what would work with what transmission. I feel like an IDIOT because I don't know anything.

My first preference would be to keep the original engine- I am hoping that it just needs new seals and there are no cracks in it.

Otherwise....its a new engine. And the allure of horsepower is tempting, but not if I have to replace a bunch of other stuff.

And the guy who appraised my car has told me that changing the engine won't affect the value of the car.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I do appreciate it, and I am learning a lot too!

If I owned this vehicle I'd want to keep it as close to stock as possible. Get your current engine rebuilt with a few tweaks for performance.

BW
Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
If I owned this vehicle I'd want to keep it as close to stock as possible. Get your current engine rebuilt with a few tweaks for performance.

BW

I agree
Rebuild 283 with new cam,intake and carb
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I'd want to see a build sheet and dyno sheet on the supposed 400hp engine,as well as how many miles have been put on it. Will he offer any sort of warranty on it? I always take people's hp claim with a huge grain of salt unless they have some sort of documentation to back it up. The dyno will tell the real story, and more often than not the numbers come up well short.
x2 and if it is a 400 hp 327 it is not going to be a smooth idling street machine you are used to.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 AM

Go crate engine but make it fuel injected. I put a 496 in my 68 chevelle but if I was going to do it again I would go fuel injected unless you like playing with the timing gun.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 AM

350. Back when l had acne l replaced a shot 283 with a 350 in a 66 Laurentian with a slip n slide. Same car as yours. Big improvement over the 283. A new crate over a used whatever is the way to go, don't overthink the project.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM

Being that your not a mechanic or speed freak and are asking this question to begin with I would opt for either rebuilding your original engine, probably not much more than head gaskets required by the way you describe it or get a simple plain small block crate motor. You don't sound like the kind of guy who wants to mess around with having to rebuild the whole car to be able to handle a high horsepower fire breathing monster. They can be endless money pits .
Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Go crate engine but make it fuel injected. I put a 496 in my 68 chevelle but if I was going to do it again I would go fuel injected unless you like playing with the timing gun.
??????? What's one got to do with the other
Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Sounds like probably just a head or head gasket issue. Most likely not that major of a repair job or very expensive unless your head is cracked and you need to buy heads.
With that being said, I own one of those 290 hp crate engines. Like previously mentioned, the cam is likely too big but it is nice and lumpy and with some good exhaust, the rumble will turn some heads. Mine runs extremely well. It's not a big powerhouse. You're not going to make it into a race car. 290 hp is not big power but for good reliability and quick/easy drop in replacement, it's hard to go wrong. It will will also have a bit of extra jam over your 283. I bought mine 2 years ago when GM had a promotion. I paid $2300 including gst. I couldn't machine and rebuild my old worn out 350 for that price. 2 year/80 000 km warranty is nice as well.
Don't forget, if you go this route, it's a crate motor. You will stilll have to put an intake manifold on it as well a step starter, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, exhaust manifolds/headers etc so there is a bit of bolt on work to do.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta83 View Post
Sounds like probably just a head or head gasket issue. Most likely not that major of a repair job or very expensive unless your head is cracked and you need to buy heads.
With that being said, I own one of those 290 hp crate engines. Like previously mentioned, the cam is likely too big but it is nice and lumpy and with some good exhaust, the rumble will turn some heads. Mine runs extremely well. It's not a big powerhouse. You're not going to make it into a race car. 290 hp is not big power but for good reliability and quick/easy drop in replacement, it's hard to go wrong. It will will also have a bit of extra jam over your 283. I bought mine 2 years ago when GM had a promotion. I paid $2300 including gst. I couldn't machine and rebuild my old worn out 350 for that price. 2 year/80 000 km warranty is nice as well.
Don't forget, if you go this route, it's a crate motor. You will stilll have to put an intake manifold on it as well a step starter, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, exhaust manifolds/headers etc so there is a bit of bolt on work to do.
And a NEW clutch and flywheel, the original 283 flywheel will not mate/balance with a newer version GM 350
Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Sounds like the original just blew a head gasket and your getting coolant into the cylinders to make white smoke. If that's the case I would check to make sure you haven't gotten coolant in the oil pan. If you do then I would spin in some new rod and main bearings and install new head gaskets.
I agree, I would check yours. May not be too bad.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
And a NEW clutch and flywheel, the original 283 flywheel will not mate/balance with a newer version GM 350
Never a bad idea when you've got an engine and tranny split apart. Clutch should work if it's in good shape. Flywheel may work as well

Last edited by Alberta83; 02-24-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta83 View Post
Never a bad idea when you've got an engine and tranny split apart. Clutch should work if it's in good shape. Flywheel may work as well
283 Chevy flywheels do not fit 350 Chevy engines, the 2 engines are balanced completely differently ,,,,
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM

Nope, the 400 small block was externally balanced, not the 283 or 350.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM

No replacement for displacement Go with the 350 every time 327 was good in its day but the 350 had way more potential hence 327 was dropped
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Default peace

you have a nice car. do you want to race?if not get a motor rebuild and keep it original
Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It is an all original car, only 26000 miles on it. And it is a three on the tree transmission. last spring i replaced the brakes with OEM drum brakes all around and new exhaust.
And the guy who appraised my car has told me that changing the engine won't affect the value of the car.
EVERYTHING you do to an old survivor effects the value. It sounds like a very nice old car but nothing makes it a "collector". To preserve the value it does have it's best to rebuild the 283. Install a good dual plane intake, upgrade the ignition, rebuild the carb, change out the clutch and pressure plate and enjoy driving it. Go all out and install a good low end street cam, use the thin gasket set to help the compression. Keep the original parts and switch it back if/and when you want to sell it. Or include the parts in the sale. With a big old car torque is your friend, not always HP.
If you really want to perk it up check your rear end ratio. It probably has a 2.73 or a 3.08 ratio. Spend the money saved on the engine upgrade to install 3.55's. Way better for a heavy car and still not bad at all on the highway. Those little 283's will scream for revs but you want all the torque down low, 1800-3500, not at 6500 revs.
Having said all that....there is no replacement for displacement
Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 PM

Given the weight of a 66 Impala and the spacious engine bay I'd go for a big block Chevy. You need torque for heavy car. A mildly built 454 can esily make 400 ft lbs of torque without winding up the RPM. Put a 700R4 behind it and the overdrive will help on the highway. Personal choice but I wouldn't run a small block in a car that heavy. Torque at low RPM is king. With aluminum heads and intake and headers it will weigh less than an all iron small block.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
??????? What's one got to do with the other
The OP was talking about possibly a crate engine I made the comment if he goes that route think about it being fuel injected as he stated he is not that mechanically inclined. I also stated that if I was to do it again I would have gone fuel injected. What part of that you don't understand?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I might need a new engine for my car, its a 1966 impala, currently has a 283 in it. At the end of last summer my current engine was blowing white smoke like crazy. I am just waiting to pull it and go over it. In the meantime I am looking for possible replacements, just in case.

My two choices are a brand new crate 350 290hp or a 1970's rebuilt 327 that our mechanic at work owns that he claims is pushing just over 400 hp. the 327 is about $600 more than the new crate engine. my logical self says 'buy the new one', but my male ego says '400+ hp!'

What are your thoughts?
My old man had a 66 Impala with a 283 in it that was not running right, he put in a 383 two years ago. Good motor, lots of power, sounds good, but he wishes he would have went with a big block. He got the engine built by a guy in Fort Macloud, dynoed in around 425hp/450tq after tuning if i remember right. If you're worried about keeping it original just keep the old 283 and powerglide in storage.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
No replacement for displacement Go with the 350 every time 327 was good in its day but the 350 had way more potential hence 327 was dropped
it had but never lived up to it .
Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Finally got it done

Thanks everybody for the advice. It took a little (read a lot!) longer than I had hoped to get it done. I tried to go the rebuild route with the 283, but abandoned that in favor of a new crate 350. I also got a new clutch, flywheel and harmonic balancer as well as distributor. I think it looks great now, but I am still not done. Next up will be a chrome alternator, chrome headers, and putting on dual exhausts. It drives great and I am very happy with my decision.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (72.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg car.jpg (38.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 PM

the last 327 I rode in roasted tires all day long . Repair what u have and then build the hot rod after you sell it
Old 08-29-2017, 05:10 AM

Great choice OP, looks awesome too.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Banned

You will be glad you took good advice given. Looks great!
Old 09-24-2017, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the advice. It took a little (read a lot!) longer than I had hoped to get it done. I tried to go the rebuild route with the 283, but abandoned that in favor of a new crate 350. I also got a new clutch, flywheel and harmonic balancer as well as distributor. I think it looks great now, but I am still not done. Next up will be a chrome alternator, chrome headers, and putting on dual exhausts. It drives great and I am very happy with my decision.

Cool !!!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I bought chrome long tube headers for my 5.0L. If I could do it again, I definitely would go with ceramic coated. Something you may want to consider...