Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Default "Mid sized atv??"

Hi folks, I am kicking around the idea of buying a used atv for hunting, plowing a little snow and doing a bit of trail riding.
I found an arctic cat 425 that looks pretty good.
My question is, it being called a midsize do you think it would be comfortable for a guy on a long trail ride? I'm about 5-11" and average build.
It seemed fine when I sat on it, but that could be a lot different than a days ride.

As always, I appreciate any advice.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 PM

I have a Kodiak 450, it rides quite nice.

LC
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 PM

I think the suspension is far more important to comfort on a long ride than size.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 PM

I'm 6-1, 200# and ride a midsize quad with ease. I agree the suspension is probably more important. Whaty kind of trails do you intend on riding etc?? I'm a big proponent of solid rear axles like on the Honda Ranchers but many people find those too rough a ride.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM

You definitely want independent rear suspension, if it has that it should be nice on trails.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 PM

It does have independent rear suspension. I'm more into taking in the scenery than racing these days.
I was more concerned about it being physically smaller making it more suited to a smaller person.
I've never had an atv before. Just don't want to spend the money and it not fit me.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 PM

I've got a Kodiak 450 and am 6'5". Always been comfortable enough for me. With a passenger it can be a little tight.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:59 PM

Thanks hockeynut, kinda puts it in perspective. An inch or two difference on the frame of the machine at most and 6" difference in rider. If you fit on yours I reckon I'll have plenty of room on the one I'm looking at.

Much appreciated to all
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
It does have independent rear suspension. I'm more into taking in the scenery than racing these days.
I was more concerned about it being physically smaller making it more suited to a smaller person.
I've never had an atv before. Just don't want to spend the money and it not fit me.
Hit the dealerships etc and sit on them, I took six months and search, reviews from outfitters etc before I made my decision and yup 14 years later still riding the same atv, 1600 hrs running time and 15,000 Km's all season -20 to + temps. Research pays off.
Honda fourtrax 350 fm...one size larger tires than stock...gun boot, rear and front cargo box...and that it....comalong in cargo box for some reason I bury it from time to time

image.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up Honda

Have had my Honda 4trax for 15 yrs, still going strong .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_163932.jpg (57.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hit the dealerships etc and sit on them, I took six months and search, reviews from outfitters etc before I made my decision and yup 14 years later still riding the same atv, 1600 hrs running time and 15,000 Km's all season -20 to + temps. Research pays off.

^^this.. Go sit on a bunch, you'll know when you sit on the right one, it'll just feel right. Back in the day, I was deciding between a Yama griz and a kodiak. As soon as I sat on the griz, it just fit me better.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Do your research before buying an Arctic Cat.

After driving a few ATV's with power steering, I could never go back.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-18-2018, 04:16 PM

I have a 2015 Arctic cat 450 seems under powered. Also have old Yamaha 600 that will pull circles around Arctic cat. Take it for ride up hill if you can.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I'm a big proponent of solid rear axles like on the Honda Ranchers but many people find those too rough a ride.
Also a proponent of the solid rear axle machines.
The Honda line of machines are still gear drive ...... most/all others are using a belt.
If you're looking at used Honda machines with the solid rear axles, the older ones have dual rear shocks. Later ones are a mono shock set-up.
Still riding my '90 Honda 350 4Trax ..... bought new in late '89 ... solid axles front and back.
Also have a 450 Foreman S ......
Talk to an independent quad shop ..... what quads are in for repair more often. What is being repaired?
Kijiji is a good place to look .... be specific on manufacturer.
Stay away from anything that has been a 'bogger' or mud machine. They often have a modified intake and exhaust among other things.
Divide the kilometers by the hours shown on the dash. This will give you an indication of its past use. Not always accurate, but it helps.
A dealership is a good place to purchase 'take-off' tires .... they're often mounted on the OEM rims and new. Make a deal. The dealership is often overrun with them and glad to get rid of them.
Good luck on your search and purchase .....
Have fun !
Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 PM

I replaced my 2008 Honda Foreman with a automatic 550 HI artic cat its like riding on a cloud compared to the Honda. The Honda was a manual shift with the stupidest reverse shift I ever saw, an 8 hour day on that felt like somebody worked me over. The Honda was much quieter running the cat's metal belt cover transmits noise, never have run out of power pulling moose or dead tree's.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Hi folks, I am kicking around the idea of buying a used atv for hunting, plowing a little snow and doing a bit of trail riding.
I found an arctic cat 425 that looks pretty good.
My question is, it being called a midsize do you think it would be comfortable for a guy on a long trail ride? I'm about 5-11" and average build.
It seemed fine when I sat on it, but that could be a lot different than a days ride.

As always, I appreciate any advice.

A mid-sized 425 is big enough for what you are looking at doing with it. I’d take a second look at other makes in the same size though. Most all of the Arctic Cats that I’ve been around have had issues, especially when it came to wearing out bushings in the front end. To be fair, they were bigger machines and not the 425.

There is a reason you can get into an Arctic Cat cheaper than any other comparable sized quad. Buying used may not be a bad thing as someone else has taken the hit but when it comes to new whatever you save over a Honda, Yamaha, etc... will be quadrupled in the way of a loss over those same machines when you go to get rid of it.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:40 PM

I would limit your choices to Yamaha and Honda for what your looking for.
Reliability and ease of ownership.
My choice would be the kodiak 450 or newer 700 (old grizzly frame).
Grizzly 550 or 700
Price difference between the difference CC is not that drastic. Dont limit to just mid size. Often frame size is identical.

I have a 2009 grizzly 550 for sale. Posted today and have few people interested in coming this week. Reason these quads demand more money.

Most high mileage quads you see for sale are always Honda and Yamaha.
Lots of 10,000km + .

Last edited by brendon444; 04-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM

I've had Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, and Can Am quads. The Can And are by far my favourite. More reliable than the Yamaha and Kawasaki. As reliable and way more comfortable to ride than the Honda.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 PM

I've got a 2009 Honda Rancher 420 4x4, with power steering.
Bought it a couple years old with under 300kms on it. It was an amazing deal.
** Power steering is an great option.

Like most Honda's, you can set your watch to it. Mine has been no different. It runs flawless. I upgraded to 25" Bighorn 2.0's, and a Warn winch. Otherwise, I turn the key and go puttin' around. Have never had a need/want for more power. Change the fluids regularly.

I have the solid rear axle, and don't have issues with discomfort at the end of a day. Surely a fancier quad with independent rear suspension would be smoother, but mine does the trick and them some for my purposes.

My 2 cents: If you're someone that needs to pin the throttle to the handle bar all the time, don't buy a Honda.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 PM

Default "Mid sized atv??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Honda fourtrax 350 fm...one size larger tires than stock...gun boot, rear and front cargo box...and that it....comalong in cargo box for some reason I bury it from time to time

Attachment 145108

I’m 6’foot3 and a conservative 250lbs. My favourite quad I’ve had was my fourtrax. Long rides, muddy rides, hunting, hauling firewood, great machine. Regretted selling that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
I would limit your choices to Yamaha and Honda for what your looking for.
Reliability and ease of ownership...

...Most high mileage quads you see for sale are always Honda and Yamaha.
Lots of 10,000km + .
That seems to be good advice.

I would certainly avoid Can Am and Arctic Cat.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:48 PM

Compared to some other quads, the Honda is a utilitarian vehicle. It fills this role very well. It can do all the un-glamorous jobs.
They are relatively trouble free if the maintenance is kept up. The gear drive is proven.
Re-sale value is there .....
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 PM

How old is it? I had an ‘05 Arctic Cat 500 Auto for 10 years. Loved that quad and it never left me stranded, just sold it last year due to lack of use.

The older Arctic Cats, like mine was, were powered by a Suzuki power plant and were exceptionally reliable. Independent rear suspension was awesome. They have some of the best ground clearance as well. My quad was actually bigger than most, I think the Arctic Cat’s upsize when they hit 500 and bigger.

Just wanted to throw that out there as I’ve seen several negative replies about the Arctic Cats, it’s not all of them. That ‘05 500 of mine was awesome, if you can find one with the Suzuki power plant you’re gold. Would’ve just bought a Suzuki instead, but I liked the larger size and clearance of the AC.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Honda 420's & 500's & Yamaha's in that cc range would fit your requirements quite well. I knew an old timer with a Cat quad. He loved it but it was the only Cat atv I seen out on the trails so I have no real world experience on them. Friends ride the mentioned Honda and Yammy's. Love them. I have rode both, nice quads.

If I ever get back into a atv, I want a 700 Grizz for my next one.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Don't be scared of the Arctic Cat. I bought 2 new in 2007 (650H1's) from a dealer that sold Polaris, Honda and AC. My son and the son of the owner of this dealership are best friends so we were able to try all extensively.

The Arctic Cat ride beat all the others by a long shot and the price was "substantially" less and IMHO they were the best value.

Outside of routine maintenance, I have done nothing to these machines other than 1 CV boot that was torn by me on a very brushy trail ($28 for the boot as they are the same as a Chevy Geo).

I beat one of the machines quite hard plowing snow, otherwise we normally just ride old logging roads. I believe dependability has a lot to do with how the machines are taken care of.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Only 446 km! 51 hours.
2009 Yamaha Grizzly Special Edition 550 fuel injected.
Windshield, 2up seat with storage. Warn winch , Aftermarket tires. 4x4 high/low with true diff lock.
Electric Power Steering
Same exact frame and size as the 700.
Owned by 90 year old to drive around when visiting farm.
$6800
Call or text 3062409218

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1348523634
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad7.jpg (42.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 PM

On Kijiji BC ..... 100 Mile House
'07 Honda Rubicon 500 .....
28,000km

Reliable ?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Have had my Honda 4trax for 15 yrs, still going strong .
That thing isn't even broken in yet. Honda's are bombproof especially if you take care of them.

Just look on Kijiji at how many early 80's Big Red ATC's are still out there, that's almost 40 years old

Yammi's are just as good
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM

Thanks for all the input. Gives me a lot to think about.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Gives me a lot to think about.
Post it up when you make the purchase.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...