Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
We did save money. We wasted it. Don't be ****y at anyone other than our former leaders.

You mean the Heritage Fund is a big load of fiction? Say it isn't so. Politicians wouldn't have peed that away too would they?

Always got a kick when I heard it was Alberta's rainy day fund. Insuring future generations would be taken care of. Just in case.

Uh huh.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
By the way Alberta has received a total of $50 million in transfer payments for only a few years in the 1950's, even back then then that was a token amount of money. We would have dug ourselves out of that hole whether we got it or not.

I don't think the average Albertan minds helping other provinces when those provinces are also trying to help themselves. But when you have a province like Quebec who is a recipient of our generosity then turns around and says no pipelines in our backyard to transport that dirty Albertan oil that Quebec benefits from in equalization. Or New Brunswick who has natural gas in their cupboard but refuses to develop any of it to better themselves, won't allow fracking but expects Alberta to frack the crap out our gas and oil fields and send them money while they hoard their own resource. Eastern Canada imports billions upon billions of barrels of dirty and bloody oil from dictatorship and terrorist supporting environmentally filthy countries and won't buy or support our own domestic far more environmentally friendly oil.

When other provinces constantly have their hands out begging for huge equalization payments for decade upon decade while at the same time are trying to scuttle the industry that's feeding them something is seriously wrong. The hypocrisy is astounding.
I think Alberta was only on the receiving side for one year no? BC about the same. Quebec ALWAYS. Maritimes ALWAYS. Now Ontario is on the dole thanks to KD Langs botching of things.

Last edited by 270person; 09-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Default This tells a story

I stand corrected on my previous post. Alberta was on the dole late 50's but we kind of pale to some of the other provinces.

Quebec? Leave please. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 PM

In Norway the VAT is 25%, and income taxes are around 55%, so no thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In Norway the VAT is 25%, and income taxes are around 55%, so no thanks.
They also have a higher quality of life and better education.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
They also have a higher quality of life and better education.
So how many years did you live and go to school their to form their opinions? I have relatives in Denmark, and one who is lazy and useless raves about how great things are there. However, the relatives that actually work there have a far different opinion. They aren't as happy about the government taking so much of their wages to give to the people that have no interest in working.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So how many years did you live and go to school their to form their opinions? I have relatives in Denmark, and one who is lazy and useless raves about how great things are there. However, the relatives that actually work there have a far different opinion. They aren't as happy about the government taking so much of their wages to give to the people that have no interest in working.
Your relatives are the same opinion of everyone living in Denmark? I've heard varying opinions to yours (not yours, your relatives) from people that live/have lived in Denmark.

c'mon man
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Your relatives are the same opinion of everyone living in Denmark? I've heard varying opinions to yours (not yours, your relatives) from people that live/have lived in Denmark.

c'mon man
The point being that even the residents don't agree about the standard of living, so how can someone that doesn't even live there judge the standard of living for everyone? The people that do the evaluations of the standard of living in various countries rely on certain parameters to come up with a rating, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the country with a higher standard of living rating, actually has a higher standard of living.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The point being that even the residents don't agree about the standard of living, so how can someone that doesn't even live there judge the standard of living for everyone? The people that do the evaluations of the standard of living in various countries rely on certain parameters to come up with a rating, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the country with a higher standard of living rating, actually has a higher standard of living.
The residents, or a few residents?

If they say the 'standard of living' is higher, of course that's on average. I'm sure the guy living on the streets would disagree. i'm also sure the wealthy disagree 'since my money is paying for those lazy people'

To the bolded, because it's a widely held view, based on the evaluations of people checking parameters. This is nothing new.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
The residents, or a few residents?

If they say the 'standard of living' is higher, of course that's on average. I'm sure the guy living on the streets would disagree. i'm also sure the wealthy disagree 'since my money is paying for those lazy people'

To the bolded, because it's a widely held view, based on the evaluations of people checking parameters. This is nothing new.
Happiest Country in the world on average based on citizens' self reported figures. They must be doing something right.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/wo...017/index.html

Back to original point. I saw an article that said Alberta has collected 190 billion in resource revenue since 1980. Nothing to show for it now. Not a very conservative or smart approach. Put that in the bank and we could have had a perpetual royalty stream of $10 billion per year, forever.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
Happiest Country in the world on average based on citizens' self reported figures. They must be doing something right.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/wo...017/index.html

Back to original point. I saw an article that said Alberta has collected 190 billion in resource revenue since 1980. Nothing to show for it now. Not a very conservative or smart approach. Put that in the bank and we could have had a perpetual royalty stream of $10 billion per year, forever.
$200 billion has gone to Ottawa since then and we didn't receive anywhere near that back. Even if we did have that money the NDP would eat half of that in 4 years.