Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Default smart wolves

I have a very productive bait pile skirting the farmland in my neck of the woods.Basically have cleaned up the majority of the coyotes so now have set up for the pack of wolves that come in every 3 weeks to check the bait out.When they come in its always a new fresh trail in and out.What I have found is they are not seeing/smelling my snares but when they come up to my tracks ,they stop from 10 feet away and about turn! I thought what about wrapping my boots in cowhide or an old wolf pelt- something to help mask my scent...ideas boys ? as this is very frustrating!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Put bait in a spruce bog with some fresh roadkill and bait. Hang 30-40 snares all from 20 yards to 80 yards form the bait. The spruce bogs give you great closed spaces to snare them and if you get enough snares out before they come you will get them. Put snares up and then let it snow. Then drop bait in. Only check bait on the outskirts to see if fresh tracks go in once every week. Stink buckets work best and make sure you got enough bait to get a bunch of birds feeding.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Default wolves

Plenty of bait and ravens!,and yes I have the area covered in snares all around 75-100 yds away ,its on the edge of a lake and muskeg with plenty of regrowth ,so yes very thick in there .Just gonna have to get in the habit of checking from afar I guess and putting more snares where there might be a possibility. One important thing I failed to mention is-I have used same bait pile station three years ago where I just about cleaned out the pack ,so the one that I did not catch must have one heck of a memory!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM

well if you have history with them then ya that is a different story. I have wiped out 3 packs and have had a few survivors. Last year I had 3 in one and caught one all season lol The 2 remaining I am following their tracks all over and they still come by the old bait but they will not commit. That is why it is important to hit them hard the first 2 or 3 times they come in because if you don't get them all it will be tough to get any of the left overs after. I don't like bait on edges of lake or in open meadow kind of things. I want it thick all the way around the bait. They will come and circle within a 100 yards all the time and if you got snares out that far and they circle they will get caught unless they see the snares and backout. I find a real good stink bucket helps and fresh guts and lots of fresh blood.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM

What's on your boots or clothes? I run a trucking company for my real job and I have noticed over the past few years if I'm wearing any of my work clothes around my wolf baits they go dead. Ive been super careful about any kind of hydrocarbon scent and it seems to have improved my success on wolves
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Works for me

I bow hunt in ranch county. Hay is a constant feed source for cattle and horses. The wildlife love the regrowth in the alfalfa fields.

What I utilize is hay. The hay should not be straight grass, it must be a mixture that contains "alfalfa".

Before I leave my truck I do the following:
Make sure you have clean clothing that has been freshly washed with a scent killer.
I have a plastic storage box full of hay. I place a small amount of hay on the ground.
Than I spray myself down with a scent killer spray. After you spray down make sure you stand on the hay and rub your feet good. Immediately rub hay onto your pants, boots, and full body if you like. The more the better.

The "alfalfa leaves" will stick to your boots and clothing. You should be free to walk about without any disturbance to the area you walked.

Not many people I tell do what I preach. Their too lazy. However if you want to beat old coyotes and big old bucks believe me it works.

The only problem I have is that sometimes a doe(s) will find the scent interesting and their curiosity will have them walk un-alarmed up and down on the trail I walked in on.