Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
Run to Cabelas and buy some powder and primers. You will be asked for your PAL.
Cabela's or Bass Pro store policy is not a law. These are the same people that try to require a driver's license copy to buy a gun.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:17 PM

I'm not too sure about others on this thread, but I have always been asked for my PAL for all my gun purchases and ammo purchases at several different stores. Article 23 states;
"(a) the transferee holds a licence authorizing the transferee to acquire and possess that kind of firearm; and"
which could be interpreted with just the one word highlighted in meaning the person is actually physically holding the PAL upon purchase, I could see No Where it says that it is not to be produced.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM

From NRCan's FAQ on Part 14: Small Arms Cartridges, Propellant Powder and Percussion Caps

Q. What is acceptable identification?

Acceptable identification is a government-issued photo ID or two pieces of ID, one of which is government issued, that sets out the person’s address.

Q. What is required on the record of sale?

Sellers must keep a record of sale for all propellant powder sold for two years following the date of the sale. The information that must be kept is:

- the buyer’s name and address, or a licence number issued under the Firearms Act and the expiry date;
- the type, trade name, size of container, and authorization information;
- the quantity of powder sold under each trade name; and
- the date of the sale.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM

From the link.
"There were 223 firearm-related homicides in Canada in 2016 — up 44 from 2015."
"In 2016, police reported 141 gang‑related homicides in Canada — 112 of them firearm-related — according to Statistics Canada Director General Lynn Barr-Telford, who is responsible for health and justice statistics"

Then how many are suicides??
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
X2

Is this out of the comments section pertaining to an article posted? if so, comments could say that the earth is flat and pigs fly....... it's meaningless if that where this came from and certainly nothing to get up in arms about.

If it is from an article written by a CBC columnist - it's pretty easy to post your comments correcting this misinformation and asking for a formal retraction.
You've never heard of swine flu?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Just posted it on Facebook and told everyone what a bunch of crap they are trying to pass as fact to the uneducated public. I will have to post the firearms act next. CBC needs to be put in its place. Why didn't the last government cut them of the tax payers tit I will never understand.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 AM

A transferor cannot transfer to an unlicensed party. They can request proof of license, or call the CFP for status.

I remember this conversation years ago, when these stores stated their policies of providing proof for even handling arms.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
Run to Cabelas and buy some powder and primers. You will be asked for your PAL.
Wrong. Was just there. Bought each over 3 days. Never once asked for pal
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM

They updated the article again.

Getting better.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Wrong. Was just there. Bought each over 3 days. Never once asked for pal
Same here last spring at Cabela’s. Bought a few lbs of powder and all they asked for was some form of I.D., in my case my D.L. was sufficient
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Obviously they havent done their due diligence.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Getting better.
Lol. I guess the feedback does get through. By the end of it the article will say that all proposals they mentioned are already part of the Act, aside from the record keeping by the retailers. Too bad that majority of readers went through the article with the false information in it on day 1 though. Pretty amazing how incompetent the journalist and the editor are.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

Getting better.
So it's ignorance, not lies.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So it's ignorance, not lies.
Perhaps it’s lies until it gets focused on. Then it magically turns to ignorance.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Lol. I guess the feedback does get through. By the end of it the article will say that all proposals they mentioned are already part of the Act, aside from the record keeping by the retailers. Too bad that majority of readers went through the article with the false information in it on day 1 though. Pretty amazing how incompetent the journalist and the editor are.
Can’t just criticize the CBC and non-gun owners on this. If you read this thread, there are plenty of gun owners who don’t know the law
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Just posted it on Facebook and told everyone what a bunch of crap they are trying to pass as fact to the uneducated public. I will have to post the firearms act next. CBC needs to be put in its place. Why didn't the last government cut them of the tax payers tit I will never understand.
kickbacks, money, bribes under the table, political sway

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Can’t just criticize the CBC and non-gun owners on this. If you read this thread, there are plenty of gun owners who don’t know the law
Perhaps you can't criticize non-gun owners, but you surely can criticize CBC. Even if they do not know the law, these gun owners do not convey information to masses who shape their views and opinions based on the said information. Any respectable news agency should do basic due diligence and check the facts before sending them out to print. Thus, the incompetence of the journalist and the editor is quite striking. Social responsibility or something. And I am not even "old-fashioned"

This

"Changes could include "enhanced background checks" of someone trying to purchase a non-restricted firearm, although it is unclear what more could be done given the nearly 2 million Canadians with a firearms licence are already subject to continuous eligibility evaluations."

sounds quite a bit different from what was written originally. The fact that they made it sound like anyone can walk in to the store and buy a firearm in the unedited article is pretty ridiculous too.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM

Explosives regs require I'D and recording your info. PAL is one form of acceptable I'D.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:41 PM

CBC did their job. Put out disinformation so most will see that and could care less about the correction. The seed has been planted.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I sent feedback to the CBC regarding the article.
I even received a reply not long ago talking about the corrections they made and such. They also sent me a link to a new article they put out today, which is actually much better written than the one this thread is dedicated to. This is the article, titled "Idea of getting firearms vendors to track sales revives old gun control debate".
Old 03-19-2018, 06:03 PM

CBC sent me an email reply to the detailed complaint I submitted regarding the article, they covered a few points and I'll give them credit for at least giving me the courtesy of a response. Unlike many they might recieve my complaint was not an angry tirade, though it did express disappointment and and noted how misinformation can sway the opinion of the public who are naive about firearms and the Firearms Act.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM

^ Pretty much what I wrote as well. And yes, I also expressed a disappointment and not anger.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM

My bet that it was a junior writer with a lazy editor. Hopefully they learnt and are doing a better job today. I’m good with a news outlet that accepts and publishes corrections. Much higher ground then what we see coming from down south.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Can you link to the law that says you need a PAL to buy primers, powder, casings or projectiles?

Not LOADED ammunition, which you do need a PAL for.
Go to any store try your luck, may not be law but it is enforced..I was in CT the other day young couple buying a gun...the guy behind the counter phoned in his pal number age etc. before he would sell him the gun...Legit or not this is how the world is turning.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info!