Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 11:30 AM

Default Thread resurrection!

Have you ever been this stuck?

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...d-be1cc788db2d

Quote:
The man — fully nude except for a pair of boots — was seen attempting to dislodge his Dodge Ram from the bed of the Elbow River or a stream near Weaselhead Flats

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 AM

Sorry. I was about to answer yes but then I saw it was Stuck and not Drunk.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
now that plain stupid, to not have any clothes to get your truck out
Old 06-04-2023, 01:35 PM

Boy I say Boy the only way you could be dumber is if you was bigger

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:47 PM

Strip naked and save your clothes/interior?
Old 06-04-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Strip naked and save your clothes/interior?
Haha that’s what I was thinking. Probably not his truck took it out for a rip got it stuck and didn’t want to get it dirty inside. Most logical thing to do in said situation is get in the buff and start workin….
Old 06-04-2023, 09:17 PM
Banned

somebody should ask sns2 about getting stuck in a demo car in his penny loafers...........good story
Old 06-04-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I'm sure the story started "Well, me and some buddies were having some salads and ..."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:48 PM

D6d lgp hooked to a d5h lgp hooked to a d6h lgp in Zama. When it came out the 6h was standing on the winch and me on the high drive five could touch ground with my right hand. Just to prove to the surveyor you cant go there. No one in there right mind heads to zama to cut seismic line on Nov 14 but a broke Ukrainian farmer.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:30 AM

We went for a Sunday Jeep and Toyota trail ride and we came across some young guys stuck in a muddy pond. The front end was in good but you could see the rear axle. We had to watch this for sure. One of the guys hooked a chain up to the rear axle and tried to pull with his 4x4 but didn't budge it. So he put a little slack in the chain and pinned it in reverse. Well the rear axle came out but the truck stayed there. We went on our way Will never forget that one
Old 06-05-2023, 09:19 AM

Working on a track crew in the Brazeau area . been there all summer and fall and weather was getting real cold. There was a big beaver dam on one line and the cats had cut a real good easy travelling detour around it...that the PM said use ! No vehicles of any size on ice. One guy did not want to pull seismic cable out and drag it across so it was much easier to just drive the Noddy across, Crack and ker splash down she went listing bad with the nose pointing up. Was better part of two days to get a cat trucked in and walked down to location. It froze in tight. We got the wide pad 6 down there with about 100-150 feet of heavy winch cable that we managed to get hooked on front belly cable. First step was augering four holes around the pig nervously crawling on our bellies and dropping in 1/2 kg charges with two way bits tied to them so they wouldn't float. BOOM , was a thing of beauty, mist, big chunks of ice and small mushroom cloud. Cat sucked her out no problem. Lots of work draining her down and replacing the windows that got blown out. The driver was long gone by then on the loser cruiser [Greyhound]
Old 06-05-2023, 09:33 AM

We used to pull people out of the Elbow fairly regularly, various type of trucks, cars, mid to late 70's, before the vehicle access got cut off back there. Many didn't realize what spring runoff was all about, how rivers get deeper, some just didn't hit the crossing the right way, banzai'd it and drowned it. One guy in a stock CJ, over the floorboards, " I'll just wait til the engine dries off", sitting there in the middle of the river reading a book.
Pretty good hill down to the river by the Elbow Ranger station, red Caddy parked on the ledge 3/4 of the way down, we just looked at him and kept going, as we were on the way in to go ForgetMeNot mtn and out to Sheep Crk road.
Old small Bronco flying along on an open grass area, hit a ditch on it, 3 times end over end, buddy had a perfect sequence pic series of it.
Landcruiser, just out of the shop a week before, all done up to the nuts as people were prone to do back in early 80's, really nice unit, fresh paint, V8-327, boots. Not 1/2hr out of camp at McClean Crk, pretty steep hill, deep washout ruts, dropped a wheel in that rut and came back down end over end and skidding on the roof.
The finest flight I've ever seen, Bronco at a 4whl drive rally at Waiporous, going uphill, 3 or 4 ledgses on the way up, 90deg turn at the top. He walked on it to get up there, took some serious air at the top, centre punched a tree at about 15--20 ft in the air, dropped straight down, landed on its wheels. He was done for the day, sore, but OK. Same rally, had STARS come out for a driver that hit a bump doing a pretty good clip, took some air, landed on top of a stump that stopped the vehicle right then and there, got banged up pretty good. Think that was a Jeep.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:45 AM

Was stuck for 30 years but finally got out when the divorce was done
Old 06-05-2023, 11:14 AM

Mid '90's I picked up a 79 Bronco. It had a 390 with headers and a lumpy cam that made it sound like a hog in heat. This was bolted to a 4 speed transmission. When I bought it, the fellow had put on 44" dick cepeks mudders. I towed it to the Pats Driveline and had them build me a couple of drive shafts and install them.

First trip was from Red Deer to a campsite about 150KM north of Meadow Lake SK, for some Walleye fishing. Buddy and I decided to drive into a burn area and get some firewood. We head in and find us a nice long stretch of skeg. I say to my friend "bet you 5 bucks I can get to the far side". Across the Skeg I go. When we got to the high ground we stopped and turned around. He said "bet you 5 bucks you can't get back". About 200 yards into the return trip we are stuck. I get out and pull the winch line out and attach it to a swamp spruce. Buddy is now driving and we have all 4 wheels spewing mud. We're making progress until I hear a click and the rear wheels stop turning. It's ok as we still have the front wheels working. We do this and get all the way back to the far side, about 400 yards. As we get to the high ground the truck stalls but won't start as we had drained the battery and it was hot.

We get out and walk about 5KM to the road, then it's 10KM back to camp. Horse flies are as big as hummingbirds and are eating us alive. Eventually a pick up came by with 3 passengers inside and a V8 Detroit in the back, they stop and offer us a ride but we have to sit in the back with the V8. We get to our camp road just as my Dad is coming out to look for us.

Next day we go back into the bronco with a quad and a 12 volt battery boost the truck. The read u-joint had let go. We robbed a ujoint from the front diff to get the driveshaft connected to the rear, and drive the unit all the way back to Red Deer.

After that adventure I changed out the gear set, put in lockers front and back

BW
Old 06-05-2023, 03:30 PM

Default From Bad to Worse

I saw this thread a long time ago and thought I posted, but didn't.
Story starts back in the early 80s. I was 13, and our family would 4x4 into Jackson Lake (now part of Lakeland PP). It was a week long holiday, and my best friend at the time joined us. A couple days in, i cut my leg, really bad. Hastily packed up camp and headed back to LacLaBiche to get stitched up.
In his hast, dad didn't take the time he usually did going through holes, and ended up to the headlights in a bog we usually had no issue with. But a couple days of rain, and bogs your uncle. No matter what we did with the winch, the big ford would not budge. We settled in for the night in the truck, my parents in the cab, and the 4 of us spread out under the canopy on the gear.
Next morning, some creative rigging finally got us out. Running through a bypass, a stump caught a tie rod. Dad had to walk out to the entrance, managed to catch a ride with some intoxicated fellows who agreed he should drive into town. A stop at the shop for some parts and tools, and call to a friend with a float plane put him on McGuffin Lake less that a mile from where we were. A couple hours later we were finally in the hospital. The admitting nurse gave my parents the best look when she asked how long ago the incident happened and my mom said yesterday!
Old 06-05-2023, 05:19 PM

We were just kids when a buddy was in a car accident with his truck so he has a loaner, a Ford Explorer. He took it to a construction site for a little fun and hit a puddle. Made it 3/4 across before hevstoppee. Wasn't quite up the exhaust but was pure clay. Called me so I got off work and went down there in my truck. I can't remember why but for some reason I only had a 20' 5000lbs tow strap with me but figured that would be enough. We broke that strap twice before it was too short to hook up again. Didn't budge the explorer an inch. Around 7 the night security guard came along and made an offer, $50 andand he will start up the dozer, drive it over and pull it out. We happily agreed but as he was pulling it out we heard this insane pop sound and the front passenger tire went flat. We get around to changing it and there was a 3" hole on the inside of the aluminum rim from where something had got caught between the rotor. Never did figure out what caused that hole but figured that why I couldn't pull him out.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:19 PM

Search Subaru test drive gone bad.

SnS has got the GOAT post on getting stuck!

BW
Old 06-05-2023, 09:39 PM

Middle of nowhere edsonish, hunting chickens after giving up on elk for the trip. Driving grandpas 2 wheel drive delivery van. Already in a bad mood, stupid elk. Head down a new road that looked good. Got into mud, knew instantly it was bad but no where to turn around so kept going, and eventually the azz end hits the ditch. Oh well. Guess I’m doing the Ukrainian way to turn around. Pulling out the come along and two work trucks pull up. They can’t get by so offer to pull me out. I wrap the strap onto the frame but apparently not quite right. Dude guns it, strap whips out and cuts a transmission line. SH…… I get it fixed, but the jug of fluid in the back has about 3 tablespoons it. They manage to wiggle past and call a tow truck for me. $800 tow bill for $12 worth of transmission fluid.

Driving back across devils lake in the afternoon after getting skunked all morning. Same stupid van. Grandpa hits a soft spot. Get out and dig. 30 yards, happens again. And again. And again. And again. Got home around midnight. Now in hind sight we are lucky we never went through, but ya, not fun.

Nakamun. Brand new 1500 4x4, no more stuck for me haha. Pull up, walk out, f350 sitting out there with a guy fishing, I measure the ice 20 inches solid. Start driving towards the island…BOOM….sinking feeling, water in my tracks. Gun it and open the door, ready to bail. I hit that island and snow bank going as fast as them wheels would go. Buried to the doors but I’m on land, thank god. Finally stop shaking, climb out, walk out and drill…4-5 inches. SH…. SH….SH…..Thinking my new truck is gonna be on that island till January. I hand auger about 45 holes trying to find a “safe” way out. Eventually do but it’s narrow and sketchy. I dig my self out, catch a few perch, creep ever so slowly off the ice and onto a sled track in the willows. Well thats better. Get all the way out to the road only to get buried to the doors right in the ditch. Hell this is as good a place as I’ve been stuck all day, I’ll happily dig till midnight knowing I won’t drown. Dude comes along and pulls me out, shaking his head at how in I got into and out of that one. I don’t drive on ice anymore. Truck no boat, no float good.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:17 AM

My current ride, an '03 ZR2 with a 7" lift & 35" tires.

Had it stuck up to the bottom of the window sills in muskeg in the middle of nowhere with nothing to pull from.

Took a dozen of us in 7 trucks & SUV's 2 1/2 days to dig it out enough to break the vacuum effect so we could pull it out without pulling the truck apart. And we did it, damage free, somehow.

Got SUPER lucky there.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:05 PM

Excerpts from a 2007 PowerPoint I received about a Russian Highway? in Siberia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide2.jpg (81.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Slide7.jpg (48.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Slide19.jpg (65.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Slide21.jpg (79.8 KB, 45 views)