Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default Newish hunting partner

Well, today is the day, it finally happened. My son turned 12 and we went in and got him his license and tags. He has helped with every other part of hunting on big game and birds, but now he can do it himself. It will probably be tomorrow afternoon or evening before we can put it to use but I'm really hoping that it works out well enough to get an archery deer for him this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

The picture would probably be good.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:57 PM

That's great!!
Have a terrific time together!
Best of luck.
RBH
Old 09-09-2017, 01:03 PM

I'm 4 years out from that day. He's accompanied me on many hunts now so it's going be old hat for him.

Congrats. Excited for you and especially him
Old 09-09-2017, 01:50 PM

I am 5 years out on that one. But I have had him out a few times as well. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

He is really excited. He has a Weatherby Vangaurd in 243 that he loves. If he so chooses he can shoot my Remington 700 in 308. I have a couple of 30-06's I'll be using this year.
For birds he'll be shooting a Remington 870 in 12 gauge. Thanks to Gitrdun fixing up a shortened stock for him he's been shooting it for the better part of two years already.
For archery season he's shooting a Bowtech Fuel. We sold his old bow and he saved $300 of his money, then I put in the rest to get him some new arrows too.
For his 22lr, he was given one for Christmas when he was 8. He decided he liked mine better so he sold his other one and bought one like mine, a Remington 597 heavy barrel. This spring he was taking gophers 80 yards and above.

All in all I hope he turns in to a better shot than me. Maybe between the 3 of us we won't have to buy beef again......
Old 09-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

Good luck to your son this season. He looks quite happy in the pic. Must have been taken before Patriots game on Thursday. lol
Hope to see pics of successful hunts in the future.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:35 PM

That is awesome. I think most of us here would agree that hunting with our kids is one of life's greatest treasures. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to come hunting and fishing with me.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-09-2017, 05:19 PM

good for him and you good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Awesome, I'm a year away with my step son and he's been out hunting a bunch with his father already, and come out with me for grouse last year. I'll spend a lot of the winter and summer coming at the range with him, as he needs to get more comfortable with a deer caliber rifle. He shoots fine with his .22lr but seems to be a little "shy" when shooting my 30-06, so work has to be done getting past that, though I'm certain we can get him ready by next season.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Banned

A 30-06 might be pretty big. Chase can handle the 308 but that's because he looks at the casings and sees the 308 as a smaller round, despite the balistics of them. Most people aren't as scared of the recoil as they are the noise either. At least from what I've found.
I load for Chase's 243 and I'm not loading light but no where near heavy. I haven't measured over a chrono as that's not a huge deal to me, I just measure drops. But even my 308 loads in my wife's rifle tend to be hotter than my 308 and he has no problems there but flinches at my old 30-06. I haven't shot my new one yet, but he is excited to try it out too.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Well, finally got him out for some waterfowl. We're not duck hunters by any means. We don't have the decoys, the coffin blinds, the fancy clothes, a dog that I would consider a bird dog, etc, but we go out and have some fun. Our normal honey holes are all dry this year, at least for now, so we had to find somewhere new. My buddy spent some time driving around, looking at maps, etc. Today we went out but we just couldn't get near the ducks. The night was coming to a close and this guy just didn't seem to care that we were getting closer.
This is his first game animal he has taken and he is excited beyond belief. He helped clean and cook. The only thing I'm not wild about is that he shot it with my Remington V3 12 gauge rather than his 870 12 gauge. Now it looks like I'll be in the market for a new semi...........lol

Old 09-16-2017, 05:35 AM

That's great, congrats to your boy and to for taking him out!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

And a couple more for him today, with a couple for me. It had to be a quick one today but we got two of the biggest ducks we've shot to date.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM

The smile says it all. Fantastic !!! Good luck on the deer hunting. Hope to see you on the cover of Big Buck.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Congrats to both of you!

There was nothing better for me then hunting with Dad!

BW