Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2024, 01:29 PM

Default BSA Martini International .22 restoration

When I picked up this old BSA International .22, I was a bit disheartened when I saw it for the first time. It looked like it had been sitting in a dusty old barn for years, and it had a lot of brown discoloration which I at first thought was perhaps surface rust. I took the thing home, and plunked it on the reloading bench where it sat for nearly a year.

Now, over the cold-spell, I happened one day to take a wipe at it with a rag and some light solvent - the brown discoloration dissolved immediately into the rag, revealing beautiful blueing underneath.

It turns out, the entire firearm seems to've at one time been coated with some sort of shipping/storage grease, which in the end, preserved the old BSA from deterioration. After a full clean deep clean and polish, I am pleasantly surprised to see the actual condition of this ol' piece. From inspecting the screw-heads and the seam-lines between parts and between the stock and the steel, my guess is this rifle has seen limited use, and very possibly, had never been deep-cleaned or dismantled in its lifetime.

The scope-mounts await a scope of its era - which will be arriving soon Then will begin the search for its favorite ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martini 1.jpg (39.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Martini 6.jpg (39.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Martini 2.jpg (44.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Martini 5.jpg (59.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Martini 4.jpg (59.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:12 PM

Very nice...looks damn near brand new .