Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Default Prince Rupert coho

Just wondering if anyone has been out this last week and found any coho yet?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 06:45 AM

We were out July 8, 9 and 10th and ended up boating 12 coho and lost probably 4 or 5 others. Those were all on the 9 and 10th. The spot we fished on the 10th was a little further south than the first 2 days and we didn't get any coho. We were just picking up the very front runners of the migration, I would suspect that if they aren't in there thick right now, it is only a matter of days.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
We were out July 8, 9 and 10th and ended up boating 12 coho and lost probably 4 or 5 others. Those were all on the 9 and 10th. The spot we fished on the 10th was a little further south than the first 2 days and we didn't get any coho. We were just picking up the very front runners of the migration, I would suspect that if they aren't in there thick right now, it is only a matter of days.

Were you out around Hartley Bay when you got those ?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Zayas
Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 PM

They are further out west. Way offshore. There are a few stragglers but no numbers yet. Nothing like previous years

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Very few were being caught inside of 30 miles. Even outside wasn't great hopefully they show up at some point or might be more closures next year
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 PM

They're still not down hey? Wow that's nuts the main run is this late.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 AM

There are lots of contributing factors, the warm water blob may have stunted growth, red tide has shown up, it looks like countless shiploads of ketchup was poured in the ocean. The water for the most part is very cold but in some areas up to 5 degrees warmer so the bait isn't coming in? Too warm for northern fish too cold for southern fish? A 5 or 50 or 50,000 year cycle?
They aren't there.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 PM

Spent 10 days fishing hard at Rupert, last day on the water was Thursday (July 19th.) Slim pickings in the inside waters. Guys going 30-40 miles out had good fishing when they found the schools, however we were just getting stragglers. I have some friends on a charter out by Dundas today and yesterday. NO coho so far, although they were done their halis early and have picked up some decent Springs.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 PM

Not good it’s been getting harder and harder the last few years to pick them up. I head out next week hopefully things start picking up. Coho should be all over Rupert by now and the big northerns soon.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 PM
AO Sponsor

Was down at Winter Harbour a week ago, tons of coho inshore. In fact that was pretty much all our guide could find, mind you we didn't go out none too far.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 PM

Just got back today. Fishing was slow but not bad. Fished mostly inside waters and got 8 springs and 8 coho 4 Hali's 2 ling and our rock fish in 4 days for 4 people so can't complain,was an amazing trip. Clear waters everywhere we went reasonable weather not to hot and not much rain.
Troll everywhere fish are really spread out lots of herring and anchovies waiting for the fish even caught a herring on an apex!!!
Going back in 3 weeks.

Last edited by Fishhunter; 07-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM

The packers are throwing out coho guts and heads by the truckload now. We missed it by a couple days. One stupid person took his and his wife's limit of Salmon, 8 in total for 1 day. Good haul but 6 of them were springs. I hope they were charged a grand per fish over and relieved of their poaching license for life.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM

That’s brutal! Caught at the dock or did the packers report them ? .... the positive is some coho are arriving, I’m headed to kitimat in 8 days so hope they move in that way !
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Four nice coho three springs one went 30lbs today and two pinks after a slow start to the day. Going to check Averie tomorrow heard the coho are bitting there.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks !!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM

Just got home from Rupert salmon fishing was a little slow for the first few days we were mostly up at the top end of Dundas. We picked up a few coho and springs most of the springs were in the 8-15 pound range. Then on day four the coho started showing up in better numbers and some bigger springs two over 30 one hit the 50 lb mark. Dad and I each lost a big spring we never seen that were of the larger variety. My boy landed four halibut on a light spinning rod ranging for 20-30 lbs. lots of humpbacks and killer whales around giving a good show while feeding in the area.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Good for you guys. Sounds like it was a great trip, I leave next Friday so that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the report.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:28 AM
AO Sponsor

Are they getting thick out there yet? It looks like the coho run is either late or very low population, hopefully late because last years run was booming. I hope it's real late because an American friend wants me to take him last week of September somewhere, and would be nice to get a limit of big, fat, late season giant cohos!

Now I just have to convince a certain, most excellent charter captain to take us out!!!

Record steelhead run tho this year... a guy should just drive over there and have the time of his life!

It also looks like the Skeena chinook run was just fine, no need to shut the river down, in fact no excuse to close the sockeye off to the recreational fishery with 7 commercial openings at the mouth. How many small Chinook do they kill in the mouth? Like must be every single one under 15 lbs... that sucks! Especially after the way they strongarmed the rec fishery.

The DFO people desperately need to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:58 AM

I believe there late this year I was there a few days ago and we were still picking up 30lb + springs and lots of pinks mixed with some nice coho. 20 years of going there I’ve never caught many springs and pinks this time of year never mind big ones. Labour day on should be amazing for big northern coho this year. Good luck and let us know how you make out
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Banned

At this point the Coho run heading up the Skeena is only 1/3 the size of last year.
The Chinook run didn't look as bad as what was being seen or feared. Not sure why guys were having issues catching them as they were there according to the test fishery.

Last years numbers on Chinook was 60...
This years numbers are 100...
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM

We've been fishing from edye pass up to the top of Dundas and the work channel since July 19th. Best day for salmon has been 6 coho and a 21 lb spring out past Butterworth rocks, very slow compared to previous years. Some guys are getting more but overall looks slim. Got a week and a half left, hope we can find some more someplace.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidava25 View Post
We've been fishing from edye pass up to the top of Dundas and the work channel since July 19th. Best day for salmon has been 6 coho and a 21 lb spring out past Butterworth rocks, very slow compared to previous years. Some guys are getting more but overall looks slim. Got a week and a half left, hope we can find some more someplace.
I’m not sure if the PM went through let me know
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Gone Hunting

We left Rupert yesturday morning. We only saw one Salmon a huge Spring that swam right up to the boat but didn't strike.

However, we had a great trip, caught more then enough to satyisfy us.
And I had a huge Halibit on for a while. brought it right to the surface then it spooked and ran hard. I couldn't stop it.
Kid brother caught an 85 pound Halibit a couple of years ago and he said this one was three to four times bigger.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
We left Rupert yesturday morning. We only saw one Salmon a huge Spring that swam right up to the boat but didn't strike.

However, we had a great trip, caught more then enough to satyisfy us.
And I had a huge Halibit on for a while. brought it right to the surface then it spooked and ran hard. I couldn't stop it.
Kid brother caught an 85 pound Halibit a couple of years ago and he said this one was three to four times bigger.
Nice! Kind of a downer that we can't keep the big ones anymore but it's still fun to fight them.

Pretty high winds today but we're heading out, hopefully we can find some action on the inside.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Nice! Kind of a downer that we can't keep the big ones anymore but it's still fun to fight them.

Pretty high winds today but we're heading out, hopefully we can find some action on the inside.
Yeah, and it was my first ever Halibut. But given the situation I am glad it worked out the way it did. I did bring it to the boat and got a good look at it and didn't have to release it.

It was raining and windy our first day on the water but then it cleared up and the remainder of the trip the weather was perfect.

The starter on the main motor failed on day two so our range was severely limited. The nice weather allowed us to get far enough out to catch a wide variety of critters.
We limited out on Crab and Rock Fish, Big brother caught a Skate and a Shark. I caught two Sharks and three Flounder. And we all caught more Cabizon then we cared to.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4770213

The outlook in the Yukon looks the same not very good. They do mention overfishing by the Americans I’ve seen the results when they actually abide by the salmon treaty and let the Canadian fish go by. The few years they did I could almost walk across the river on top of them. Might be time for the federal government to let the boys off of Vancouver island and hammer the Salmon that swim by an run up the lower 48’s rivers again and put pressure on the Alaskans to ease up.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yeah, and it was my first ever Halibut. But given the situation I am glad it worked out the way it did. I did bring it to the boat and got a good look at it and didn't have to release it.

It was raining and windy our first day on the water but then it cleared up and the remainder of the trip the weather was perfect.

The starter on the main motor failed on day two so our range was severely limited. The nice weather allowed us to get far enough out to catch a wide variety of critters.
We limited out on Crab and Rock Fish, Big brother caught a Skate and a Shark. I caught two Sharks and three Flounder. And we all caught more Cabizon then we cared to.
That's interesting, we've caught two cabezon total in a dozen years fishing the area
Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, we've caught two cabezon total in a dozen years fishing the area
I only ever see them in tuck inlet, strange for sure.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I only ever see them in tuck inlet, strange for sure.
Cool I've never fished there, what are you targeting in that area?
We've caught both of ours on the West side of Stephens island while trying for lingcod in 40' of water