Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Hunter View Post
I-hunter app and then purchase county or MD maps
It also lists grazing contacts when u hit on them with name and phone number for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
It will give u the private owners name but no contact info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the two in conjunction with one another,ie;both the iHunter app for grazing lease including contact info,and county landowner which names the owner but not the contact info......however.....quite often as not,where there is a mix of both deeded and leased land,by comparing the 2 maps you can figure it out when you see the Mr Smith owns these 3 sections that id like to enquire about,and a Mr.Smith ALSO leases this adjoining 1/2 section next door, and BINGO,,,,there is his contact info.

In fact I work it the opposite way usually....if I find a large tract of leased land that I want to enquire about,i check the deed map as well,then when I call about the leased land Ill say "I notice you also have X many sections of deeded land,is it ok if I hunt there as well?' etc etc......but id doesn't have to be a large tract neither,sometimes youll find an isolated leased quarter on iHunter surrounded by deeded land and the same name.
anyhow,point being.....use the two tools together with one another to make the most efficient use of your scouting permission time.

Last edited by West O'5; 07-17-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Land Ownership Map

Check with the local county/municipality office. Some offer them online in .pdf format, others you have to go to the office and buy a physical map.

I have one for the zone I hunt in on the BC/Alberta border, and another for my home county. The home county one is online.

Not only does it show you the name of the owner, if there's a home on the property, it's indicated as well.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Asking for permission this far in advance of hunting season can illicit that kind of response. Hunting seasons aren't necessarily on the mind of many landowners at this time of year, so they may very well think you are "casing out" their place.
I try to avoid this by giving out a "postcard" with a picture of my truck that has my license plate #, phone number, the Report a Poacher logo and a statement that I respect all laws and landowner instructions.

I give these cards to anyone I ask, and I make sure to leave one even if the answer is no and I respond that I want to leave it because I am going to ask their neighbors for permission and I want everyone to know that I am not up to no good. This was enough to sway a landowner last year from a no to a yes. I arrowed my first ever bull moose on his place three days later.