Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 08:42 PM

Default New Idea

So I just came up with a new idea for a problem. When I clean my brass the primer pockets dont come completely clean. This results in me having to take a tooth brush and scrub them and then put them back in the ultrasonic cleaner for another round. Tonight I had a revelation, what if I use some of the spray cleaner for removing carbon fouling in my barrel and give them a shot and letting them soak over night then put them in the ultrasonice cleaner!
I will let you know if it was successful tomorrow.

Do you guys have similar problems and what is your fix?
Old 04-27-2024, 09:01 PM

A Perfectionist. I don't think a tiny amount matters and never lost any sleep over it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-27-2024, 10:06 PM

After hearing that Eric Cortina who shoots for Berger and lapua in F open never cleans his primer pockets I have decided not to worry about cleaning them. Tumble re prime and go.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 04-28-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
After hearing that Eric Cortina who shoots for Berger and lapua in F open never cleans his primer pockets I have decided not to worry about cleaning them. Tumble re prime and go.
Many years ago my father gave me a book called The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page. In it, he wrote about going a whole year without cleaning his primer pockets as an experiment. I believe he won the NBRSA Super Shoot that year .
I quit cleaning primer pockets after that
Cat

I quit cleaning g primer pickets after reading that
Old 04-28-2024, 06:58 AM

I clean primer pockets with a small hand tool, give them a spin or 2, never really gave much more thought to trying to get them squeaky clean

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:34 AM

I don’t clean my brass or primer pockets.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-28-2024, 10:40 AM

Years ago I would clean my brass to spotless. Never made a difference, now my brass looks like crap but the results are the same. I do still turn necks and make sure the neck mouths are square as I find I get less bullet runout and it helps prevents neck splits on the thin side of case necks. Only have to do it once.

If your still looking for an easy way to clean primer pockets I always used a cheap lyman primer pocket uniformer or similar, one quick twist and the crap is gone.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:14 PM

Having acquired a case prep ctr years ago I clean pockets, much better and faster than doing by hand, that's about all I use it for now, seeing as I have 3 way cutters for the trimmer, for what calibers I have. What little case cleaning I do, is with a paper towel, when depriming cases, or if I notice the lube is picking up something when applying it, for the most part. I have a tumbler I bought 20-25 yrs ago, used it less than 10 times, still using the original batch of media. But, I try not to toss brass in the dirt when shooting, as well. Also have electrical spray around, if for some really obscure reason, I need it regarding anything reloading..
I think way too many people spend way too much time, effort and money on cleaning cases, the ROI on it it ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:26 PM

Or... just don't.

It doesn't make a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
So I just came up with a new idea for a problem. When I clean my brass the primer pockets dont come completely clean. This results in me having to take a tooth brush and scrub them and then put them back in the ultrasonic cleaner for another round. Tonight I had a revelation, what if I use some of the spray cleaner for removing carbon fouling in my barrel and give them a shot and letting them soak over night then put them in the ultrasonice cleaner!

Old 04-28-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I don’t clean my brass or primer pockets.
I give my necks a couple of spins with a fine scotch brite pad (white) and give the primer pocket a couple of turns of a primer pocket tool, that's it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-28-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I give my necks a couple of spins with a fine scotch brite pad (white) and give the primer pocket a couple of turns of a primer pocket tool, that's it.
I have my dies double as a neck cleaner. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 04-28-2024, 03:49 PM

Default if its good enough for Eric it should be Good enough for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
if its good enough for Eric it should be Good enough for me

The only thing i can see making it worth doing is the primer pockets getting loose faster. If your sponsered by Lapua it wouldnt matter to you anyway, but I pay for my Lapua brass and want as much life out of them as I can get. Frankly thats what fails first for me with there brass is the primer pockets. I normally get around 10 firings then the pockets get sloppy. Anyone know if there is a way to anneal the pockets and get another 5 firings or more out of them?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:25 PM

You can’t anneal case heads no. That would make things much worse. I’m also unsure how dirty primer pockets would have anything to do with loosening primer pockets. I don’t see any possible correlation.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-28-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:

The only thing i can see making it worth doing is the primer pockets getting loose faster. If your sponsered by Lapua it wouldnt matter to you anyway, but I pay for my Lapua brass and want as much life out of them as I can get. Frankly thats what fails first for me with there brass is the primer pockets. I normally get around 10 firings then the pockets get sloppy. Anyone know if there is a
way to anneal the pockets and get another 5 firings or more out of them?
If the primer pockets are loose after 10 firings, they are expanded due to pressure. Reduce the powder charge to extend case life.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:

The only thing i can see making it worth doing is the primer pockets getting loose faster. If your sponsered by Lapua it wouldnt matter to you anyway, but I pay for my Lapua brass and want as much life out of them as I can get. Frankly thats what fails first for me with there brass is the primer pockets. I normally get around 10 firings then the pockets get sloppy. Anyone know if there is a way to anneal the pockets and get another 5 firings or more out of them?
There are primer pocket swagers available for both large and small primer pockets so they can be reconditioned.

Cat
Old 04-28-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Or you can get a wet tumbler. Problem solved.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:34 PM

I hate cleaning black crap out of my dies so I deprime and wet tumble with pins. Maybe it’s overkill or not required but they sure are shiny inside and out.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:21 PM

Range into tumbler (no pins ever) just some mild soap. Dry brass either over night or in an old food dehydrator set on low. (pre cleaning the brass saves your dies). De prime or re size brass Five dollar Lee primer pocket tool in a 3/8" variable speed drill to clean primer pockets. Re tumble brass and re dry to clean off the sizing wax/lube, or just wipe necks if it is a quick shoulder bump and no major re sizing involved.
If the brass is dirty or stained I use a 21st. century shell holder and low speed variable drill and some 0000# steel wool to make those babies shine. It also seems to bring out the natural "oils" in the brass and they stay shiny for years.

Sounds like a lot but it really does pay off in the end, especially with the price of brass nowadays.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:40 PM

Default Didnt Work

My idea didnt work. Ohh well cant advance without a few failures.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:29 PM

I tumbled a 100 223 and a 100 6.5 PRC with pins and dawn dish soap today. They come out pretty shiny.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:56 PM

Default Tumling worries me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I tumbled a 100 223 and a 100 6.5 PRC with pins and dawn dish soap today. They come out pretty shiny.
I find tumbling interesting but I am so scared I would miss a pin and send it down my barrel. Has that ever happened to you?
Old 04-30-2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I find tumbling interesting but I am so scared I would miss a pin and send it down my barrel. Has that ever happened to you?
That is why you always inspect your brass (several times). There is less chance of a pin in the brass then there is in having corn cob or walnut bridging in the case or plugging up the flash hole. Buy a good flash light and a loading block.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I clean primer pockets with a small hand tool, give them a spin or 2, never really gave much more thought to trying to get them squeaky clean
Likewise. Not a huge deal, and I only load 50-100 at a time.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:08 AM

After first firing i'll de burr inside of primer pocket , one or two light twists.
After that 00 00 00 steel wool around the necks then size , rest of prep and load. 9-10 loads they go in junk brass tub.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I have a magnifying lamp and inspect each brass and make sure I can see daylight through the flash hole. Tumbled 200 pieces yesterday and separated the pins with the Frankfort Arsenal rotary separator. No pins were stuck in any cases.