Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 09:49 PM

Default Wood jointer service - Calgary?

I have a fairly well equipped word working shop set up at home. The piece of equipment I’m missing is a wood jointer. I’m currently building an end table out of live edge Russian Olive. I have two pieces about 1 5/8” thick by 30” long. I’ve ripped one edge each of two boards that I need to join. Before I can do that though I need to joint the ripped edge of each. I know I could hand plane them but a recent hand injury takes this option away.

I’m aware that Black Forest will do it on occasion for a relatively small fee. My recent experience with that shop has been hit or miss. It seems to depend on who’s working the desk that day.

Are any of you aware of another shop in Calgary that can do this task for a fee?

Or, if there’s a member on here that has a jointer and would be willing to joint these two boards I’d be more than happy to pay you for your time.

Any tips or advice to point me in the right direction are appreciated.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:42 PM

Default Trimming

If you have a router table you could do it. Lee Valley sells a 2” flush trim bit. You could put 2 or 3 playing cards behind the outfeed fence and do it that way. Also on occasion I have had good luck with the Freud glue line rip blade.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:51 AM

As above I use my router table to join boards,Im also in Calgary send me a PM if you want to use it.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:42 AM

Windsor Plywood does machining
Old 04-19-2021, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the responses and offer to help. I’ll give it a shot on my router table.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:35 PM

I have used a split fence and just a good straight edge and a flush trim router with good success.

I tried a hand plane with the boards viced together once, just once.

Back in the day, I wish I had a biscuit jointer too, it's a good way to keep the top surface indexed so it's easier to keep the plank flat.