Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 AM

It's just ridiculous to me the luck of the Penguins. They drafted Crosby and Malkin. They managed to pick up Kessel for peanuts. They had solid goaltending in Fleury for over a decade, and the second he started to fade, some young kid named Matt Murray comes in and slots in as an elite goalie out of nowhere.

Tough game. Shame the Flames traded Hamilton for Hanifin, I'm sure the Oilers would have given Kris Russel and 4th for him. Lol.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 AM

It's enough already. Smith on Waivers, Rittich has earned the starter spot most obviously, bring up Jon Gillies from Stockton to back him up. And maybe there is a deal to be made for a #1 down the road....? Smith needs to go, I had serious misgivings before the puck dropped in game 1 and he has confirmed every one of them.

That doesn't excuse the play of the rest of the team last night, but at least you know they can be corrected and still play a competitive game, a little butt kicking is in order.

And Peters.....shape the hell up and coach already!!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-26-2018, 04:27 PM

I was away on business and missed most of the game last night but just watched the highlights and I have to say, Smith has been under performing for sure....no disagreement there, but Smith had no chance on most of the goals scored on him....There was absolutely no defence help and even the forwards were no where to be found....Emberassing all around...not just Smith.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I was away on business and missed most of the game last night but just watched the highlights and I have to say, Smith has been under performing for sure....no disagreement there, but Smith had no chance on most of the goals scored on him....There was absolutely no defence help and even the forwards were no where to be found....Embarrassing all around...not just Smith.
Of course, allowing 39 shots and only scoring one goal isn't reflective of the goalie. However, Smith was terrible, has been terrible, and I think he should have had at least 4 of the 6. A brief breakdown:

Goal 1: Crosby scores short side a foot away from the goal line. He's gotta be hugging the post when the puck is on the outside like that.
Goal 2: A tip right out in front on the PP, tough to save that.
Goal 3: Rust fires a wrist shot and Smith directs the rebound right back to him.
Goal 4: Kessel does a weak shot, Smith directs it right back to his tape, soft shot fivehole.
Goal 5: With a clean line of sight, wrist shot from outside the circle should not be going in when he watched the guy carry the puck in.
Goal 6: Kessel on a breakaway, great shot.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Banned

Hopefully when they lose their team in the next couple of years it’s not too far of a flight to go watch their games.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Of course, allowing 39 shots and only scoring one goal isn't reflective of the goalie. However, Smith was terrible, has been terrible, and I think he should have had at least 4 of the 6. A brief breakdown:

Goal 1: Crosby scores short side a foot away from the goal line. He's gotta be hugging the post when the puck is on the outside like that.
Goal 2: A tip right out in front on the PP, tough to save that.
Goal 3: Rust fires a wrist shot and Smith directs the rebound right back to him.
Goal 4: Kessel does a weak shot, Smith directs it right back to his tape, soft shot fivehole.
Goal 5: With a clean line of sight, wrist shot from outside the circle should not be going in when he watched the guy carry the puck in.
Goal 6: Kessel on a breakaway, great shot.
I disagree...I watched the highlights and saw no help from defence or forwards whatsover.....However, as I said before, Smith needs to be way better....On another note, where was our power offence....
Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 PM

I just read that Peters is starting Smith tomorrow against Caps. Afternoon matinee game, one more reason for me to go in to work tomorrow. Hope it all works out, if not he can start Smith the next game, and the one after that, until......well, until what? There is no hope, again, for anything but a mediocre year?

It's hard to be a Flames fan sometimes.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I just read that Peters is starting Smith tomorrow against Caps. Afternoon matinee game, one more reason for me to go in to work tomorrow. Hope it all works out, if not he can start Smith the next game, and the one after that, until......well, until what? There is no hope, again, for anything but a mediocre year?

I saw that earlier. Smith does not deserve to start. Getting him run out of a building night after night isn't motivating him. Put him on the bench so he knows there's guys 10 years younger than him ready to take his job.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Even harder to be an Oilers fan
Old 10-26-2018, 07:55 PM

I was given great club seats for last night and am really glad it was a school night so my kid didn’t have to watch . Smith should’ve been yanked after the third goal at least try to get back in it. Rebounds on 2 of the first 4.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I was definitely willing to give him a chance but lets face current facts, he hasn't played well since January and is getting seriously outplayed by Rittich. When is the "sample size" big enough, 10 games, 20 games, 30 games? The way they are attached to this guy, you'd think he's played for the Flames for 12 years and won three cups.

"You don’t evaluate the goaltending in a game like this," said Peters, whose club was outshot 39-36.

Yea, he's amazing, lets just evaluate him on the Nashville game and give him 65 starts ya I haven't seen idioticy like this since the Browerplay.
I am beginning to agree. He is showing flashes of old but something isn't right. He has to know he is on a short rope. But Rittich has not given enough to show he is the number one. He deserves a much closer look though.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I disagree...I watched the highlights and saw no help from defence or forwards whatsover.....However, as I said before, Smith needs to be way better....On another note, where was our power offence....
BINGO

Second biggest spanking at home for the Flamers. Wonder who it was that laid the largest beat down?......
Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
BINGO

Second biggest spanking at home for the Flamers. Wonder who it was that laid the largest beat down?......

Canucks hammered them 11 zip in the 90's, not sure if that was at home or not . Oilers beat them 10 to 1 in 92 . If it makes the Flames fans feel any better the Oilers took a beat down by the Jets by 11 zip in 84 .
Old 10-27-2018, 01:51 PM

Woohoo! We aren't losing yet!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:55 PM

So, game starts in ten minutes?

Old 10-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So, game starts in ten minutes?
NICE
Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Washington goal within 2 minutes. You heard it here first.

Edit: phew

Last edited by sgill808; 10-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:27 PM

What you boys doin here...?

Ya give em a game??
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Oh hey.......... fun fact boys.

Mighty Oil are ahead of you in the standings as of now...

With a game in hand.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-27-2018, 04:22 PM

That's great news Bessie! Kinda too bad it's not game 80 or so and we were sitting in the top 5 overall, but alas...

I won't concede and send you the Crown just yet bud.

I just came, catching the last ten minutes of game. What is this new thing I see? Defense??

Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 PM

Wow! Chuckie ties it with empty net on a beauty tip on Anders point shot! Looks like they came to play. And now a pp with 1:12 to go on delay of game! Go Flames!!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 PM

It’s no 4-1 slaughter but hell of a last half!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM

I'm baffled why they sent Johnny in #4 in shoot out, I don't think I've ever seen him score in SO...why not Lindholm or Frolik? Well, one point and playing with heart beats the last three games I watched. Still want to find a better goalie than Smith.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:46 AM

The Coyotes beat Tampa 7-1, we took the Caps to shootout. Now I dont feel so bad.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Mathews is out on Monday, our chances just dramatically improved.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Peters starting Smith against Leafs...JFC......

Well, Go Flames!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Peters starting Smith against Leafs...JFC......

Well, Go Flames!
Well, if they can limit the shots to 4/period and out 12 on the opposition, Smith or not, I like our chances! Keep it up guys.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:10 PM

Yeah, Smith looks ok on 4 shots per period when our D shows up..

Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Well, no score after two, shots 24-16 Flames (Smith stopped 16!! Though nothing epic..)...and Flames have 56% of face offs. Our D is playing D..crazy, right?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 PM

I have not been watching, thank you for the update.