Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Default PM selfie to send ground troops into Iraq to train

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canad...deau-1.2661947

Canada will increase the number of ground troops it has in Iraq to train local forces as a way of making a bigger military contribution to the coalition fighting Islamic militants, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says.

Trudeau said the increase, from the current number of 69 special forces trainers, is one of the scenarios being worked on as the government prepares to end the air combat mission of its CF-18 fighter jets in the U.S.-led coalition that is bombing targets in Iraq and Syria.

"How many that will be, what form that will take, what kind of engagement we're going to have, those are things that we're going to work out."

Trudeau didn't offer specific numbers but he has cited the Forces Afghanistan training mission, to which the Harper government initially committed almost 1,000 troops.

"I'm also pleased to say I asked a fair bit of advice of leaders and they volunteered some as well," Trudeau added.

To summarize:
Sening in ground troops.

Emulating Harper.

Alberta = dirty oil/embarassing cousin

Canada has seasons.

Asking grownups for advice.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Lol!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canad...deau-1.2661947

Canada will increase the number of ground troops it has in Iraq to train local forces as a way of making a bigger military contribution to the coalition fighting Islamic militants, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says.

Trudeau said the increase, from the current number of 69 special forces trainers, is one of the scenarios being worked on as the government prepares to end the air combat mission of its CF-18 fighter jets in the U.S.-led coalition that is bombing targets in Iraq and Syria.

"How many that will be, what form that will take, what kind of engagement we're going to have, those are things that we're going to work out."

Trudeau didn't offer specific numbers but he has cited the Forces Afghanistan training mission, to which the Harper government initially committed almost 1,000 troops.

"I'm also pleased to say I asked a fair bit of advice of leaders and they volunteered some as well," Trudeau added.

To summarize:
Sening in ground troops.

Emulating Harper.

Alberta = dirty oil/embarassing cousin

Canada has seasons.

Asking grownups for advice.

Islamic militants.................ISIS..............Islami c militants................takes some more advice Junior............................they are a DESIGNATED TERRORIST group. They want to kill us.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Can somebody please pull his pants down, bend him over the knee and give him a good spanking?! Can we talk to his mommy about that?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Can somebody please pull his pants down, bend him over the knee and give him a good spanking?! Can we talk to his mommy about that?
Mommy dearest has always been in a different world. Seemiingly always on an adventure, and never left the yard!!!!! Why would she put the spank on her baby? It might hurt his "feelers", as my grand daughter used to say, when she was a toddler.

Last edited by Opa; 11-17-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:28 PM

I read that the US spent $500 million on training 4 or 5 Syrian rebel troops. A completely non-effective response to the situation.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM

Well, we KNOW from experience that when we send our troops to "train", that means right up at the front lines, directing troops and getting in fire fights themselves. I've got no problem with that. Let's just be completely honest from the start, not like last time.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Gone Hunting

What could possibly go wrong? It worked for him at band camp last summer.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 PM

Iraqi grounds troops don't work. They don't want to fight. They want others to take the risk.

Training is a waste of time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Seems like no one wants to defend their country or life. It's easier if the rest of the world takes the risks and the cost. Man we are stupid.

Go in with a coalition force and bomb ISIS back to the stone age, then send the syrians and other refugees back to their new homes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well, we KNOW from experience that when we send our troops to "train", that means right up at the front lines, directing troops and getting in fire fights themselves. I've got no problem with that. Let's just be completely honest from the start, not like last time.
Only caveat is not to cripple them with ridiculous rules of engagement and a leash that ends at DND headquarters in Ottawa. General's complaints in Afghanistan and Bosnia.

Grizz
Old 11-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Posted it once already but can't resist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Curious to hear the opinion of CF members.

Lots of bs posts from the airchair warriors.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Default This has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Seems like no one wants to defend their country or life. It's easier if the rest of the world takes the risks and the cost. Man we are stupid.

Go in with a coalition force and bomb ISIS back to the stone age, then send the syrians and other refugees back to their new homes.
the very distinct Israeli advantage over all "Arab" armies and forces since 1949. And we are too stupid to just recognize that the muslims in that part of the world are far more inclined to go on killing each other over stupid little factional religious and tribal differences than to "unite" in any common cause. We cannot enlist them to do the necessary dirty work on any rational basis. "Training" some "national" armies to complete the task is a complete waste of our resources, over and over. They will not do the job themselves, no matter what resources we commit to such.

I have to say that an exception is the Kurds, who appear to have a real secular political will to defend their people and their turf, and to appreciate the assistance. I sincerely hope that the one "good thing" that comes out of all this is that they get to establish their own nation. We could use a secular democratic (at least roughly) friend in the area, and I think they could be just that. I have no objection to helping them in this regard, though I tend to believe gving them the means (i.e, weapons) is a better investment.

We do need to just go in, with ground troops if necessary, and decisively defeat and terminate ISIS/ISIL/Daesh, and not only in Syria/Iraq, but in all their manifestations, in Nigeria/Libya/Phillipines/Indonesia/Somalia, etc., but how likely is it that the politicians will wake up to this reality and get it done? We (the "west") have the present means if we treat it as a war. If we continue to treat it as a series of mushy "police actions", the war will not be won anytime soon, and the cost in $ and lives will be considerably increased. In the interim we need to "call out" the Saudis/Iranians/Pakistanis, etc. and make it clear that their little political games will not be tolerated, and they will be "subdued" if they persist. They will get the message, loud and clear, despite all their posturing, if it is delivered with actual evidence of determination.

As Solzhenitsen (sp?) pointed out in the darkest days of the soviet gulag, it is a fact that, ultimately, the ordinary "people" of our "enemies" are actually on "our side" in the end. They only need our help to rise up and overthrow the oppressive minorities who keep them in dictatorial and corrupt bonds. What makes the people of Iran (ex.) any different from those of East Germany/Bulgaria/Poland/Romania, etc. before the wall went down, in context?

The chances of us doing the right and necessary things are approximately nil, especially with the Honourable Turdo II in charge. I won't take any "glee" in resurrecting my own views at this point when they prove to be correct down the road.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 PM

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I highly doubt that. Do you really think that Justin is going to pull our fighter jets that are fighting Isis and replace them with boots on the ground? No, whatever Troops that he sends over there will be so far from the fighting that they won't even hear the gunfire or bombs exploding. One Soldier's death in combat would be a huge embarrassment for Justin and he will not allow it to happen. The pussification of our Troops is in the making.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 AM

They'll just be training more fighters to be able to go join Isis or the Taliban or whoever is their favorite flavour at the time of their graduation.
Just look how well that went for the US.