Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Euro Nymphing Rod

Hi All!

Going to be trying a little euro nymphing this year and am using it as an excuse to get a new fly rod. I think I am going with a 10' but have a couple questions:

1. Home water is brown trout country near Sundre, which I'll be fishing smaller Red Deer River tributaries the majority of the time. I will probably pack the rod along for trips to the Oldman, Crow, etc... I've been reading 2-3 wt is ideal for contact nymphing with the sensitive tip. I think I can get away with the 2 wt. Any advice there? Should I bump up to a 3 wt to sacrifice some sensitivity but able to pull the fish in easier? It looks like euro nymphing is a small fish/high quantity ordeal and I have larger rods to huck dries and streamers.

2. The reel doesn't seem to be as important with euro nymphing since its just the leader/tippet and short casts. Can I cheap out a bit with the reel/fly line and spend more on the rod?

3. I'll probably go TFO, I like there rods and warranty, especially the fact they are right in Calgary. Looking at the TFO Stealth. Any comments on this particular model or any feedback on other contact nymphing specific rods?

Thanks All!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:41 AM

I don’t think deciding on a 2 or 3 would make much of a difference. I’d go wth a 3 to have a little more backbone to be able to bring fish in quicker

Don’t be fooled, contact nymphing is not just small fish/high numbers. As it’s arguably the most natural way to present a nymph/small streamer, you’ll hook into lots of 20+ inch trout. Assuming that you’re in constant contact with your fly and fishing prime lies, where big fish hold.

My buddy uses a 10ft 3wt, and I use a 10ft 5wt. Not much difference in our catch rates. For trout, you can usually cheap out on reels and get away with it. However, you’ll want a good drag for those times when those 20+ inchers decide to take. Nobody likes talking about “the one that got away”
Old 01-01-2021, 01:15 PM

1. 3 wt allows you to do more. You can throw an indicator on if you want. I have a 10'6'' 3 wt and feel it should have no problem with most Alberta fish. Next rod will probably be a 2 wt for Crow, etc. Euro rods are designed with a soft tip, but very strong but section to handle larger fish.

2. Any reel is fine. Larger is usually better to balance out your rig. Most look for a 5 wt reel for a 3 wt euro rod. For line, you can go as simple as the mono rig right down to a specific euro nymph line. I go in between and use a rio Euro Nymph Shorty. Just attached it to the end of my fly line then added a euro nymph leader and good to go.

3. TFO stealth should be good. Never used it but it's designed for Euro nymphing.

If there's big fish in the water, you can get them Euro Nymphing...it's not a small fish game.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Go with a 3 wt

1.) I've been Euro nymphing for the past few seasons on the Bow and in the foothills (and in Montana), with a couple different rods. I unequivocally recommend you go with the 3wt.

I don't find much difference in terms of strike detection between my 2 and 3 wt, but I find casting and landing fish noticeably easier with the 3.

2.) Cheap reel works fine. I use a super-cheap 8-9wt TFO reel (it had the right weight for balance for me), with my Euro line over the old fly line so it doesn't coil as much.

3.) Haven't used the Stealth, but it's hard to argue with TFO's warranty - you'll probably break a tip off at some point.

FWIW, I've used the Redington Hydrogen, Orvis Clearwater, and Orvis Recon Euro rods. Recon is the best of the three, but it's also a lot more expensive.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:46 AM

Default Agree with these posts

I use a $40 dollar ebay special 10ft 3wt rod. It gives me great feel with the flies, and good reach. It has handled everything from 8-22 inch trout no problem. The reel I use is also a super cheap $30 ebay special and no name floating line. I do use a short bit of red Amnesia mono as a sighter between the fly line and the leader. I helps to detect very subtle strikes.

Got a video on my gear and set-up if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/K0CwG7Uo9-0
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM

take a look at the Loop Q series they do have some very affordable options for 10foot and a 10’6” 3wt made specifically for euro nymphing

the reel is all about balance in hand for stress/fatigue. you can use lead golf tape to tweak things if needed also
Old 01-14-2021, 08:23 AM

i would opt for the 10ft 3wt. I use and Echo Shadow II and its been a nice rod that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. like others have mentioned strike detection isn't an issue between the 2wt and 3wt, but having the 3wt for a little more backbone when you have stuck a large fish is definitely beneficial.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:48 PM

I live on Vancouver island and our rivers get multi species of fish from trout , salmon and steelhead. I use a 2-3 weight 11 foot and there is a few reason I use the 11 foot . One is extension and direct contact is crucial on extended drifts . I have been nymphing for cuttys in November and have had by catches of coho , biggest I’ve landed on my euro rod is 8 1/2 lbs and yes it has the backbone to handle the fish.
Reels- I use a closed reel made for tight lining . I use a very thin nymphing line and it could on a open reel slide out of the reel and cost you a fish.

I’ve read posts here about they use a 5 weight 9 foot rod for nymphing and they catch fish but you have no idea how many fish you missed because you didn’t feel it. Yes it is trending right now but out of my experience you can’t use one rod to do everything. I fish open water 12 months a year and after coverting to a proper rod my results have drastically improved
Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
I live on Vancouver island and our rivers get multi species of fish from trout , salmon and steelhead. I use a 2-3 weight 11 foot and there is a few reason I use the 11 foot . One is extension and direct contact is crucial on extended drifts . I have been nymphing for cuttys in November and have had by catches of coho , biggest I’ve landed on my euro rod is 8 1/2 lbs and yes it has the backbone to handle the fish.
Reels- I use a closed reel made for tight lining . I use a very thin nymphing line and it could on a open reel slide out of the reel and cost you a fish.

I’ve read posts here about they use a 5 weight 9 foot rod for nymphing and they catch fish but you have no idea how many fish you missed because you didn’t feel it. Yes it is trending right now but out of my experience you can’t use one rod to do everything. I fish open water 12 months a year and after coverting to a proper rod my results have drastically improved
Im with ya. i used a 9' 5wt. Yes i would catch fish but the sensitivity in a euro specific rod took my catch rates to another level. the feel in the euro rod is definitely noticeable (and im not even using a high end euro rod)