Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Default GPS positioning ??

Hey guys, I just never used any gps data equipment etc or neither I own one, is there any website that can point on the map location of coordinates ?For example Beauvais Lake (29-5-1-W5) , how could I find the location on the map?? , is there a website that I could just punch those in and see the results?? I noticed in the fish management alberta there is lots of coordinates to stocked lakes and ponds, but I just don't have a clue how to go around finding them..

anyone?

thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Try this site out,, doesn't have a lot of the smaller ponds but it is very helpfull..

http://alberta-lakes.sunsite.ualberta.ca/
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Gone Hunting

You could use Microsft Streets and Trips but there is enough error in the map that co-ordinates don't match exactly, error of a few hundred feet in most areas. Same for Google Earth. Hand held Garmin GPS units are not too expensive.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
For example Beauvais Lake (29-5-1-W5)
Those are not GPS coordinates but rather a legal land description. GPS coordinates are given in degrees of longtitude and latitude. I'm not aware of any GPS units that aid in locating legal land descriptions.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Didn't mean to imply that! I was referring to using the co-ordinates listed on the suggested web site and then finding them on Google or navigating to them by GPS.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Those are not GPS coordinates but rather a legal land description. GPS coordinates are given in degrees of longtitude and latitude. I'm not aware of any GPS units that aid in locating legal land descriptions.
There are now programs available to do this sheep.. A couple guys I work with have them installed in there hand held Garmin units.. They are handy in our line of work since we run totally off of LSD's in the oilfield..

Please don't ask me where they are available and from who but I could probably find out.. But I am sure a reputable dealer would know..
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
There are now programs available to do this sheep.. A couple guys I work with have them installed in there hand held Garmin units.. They are handy in our line of work since we run totally off of LSD's in the oilfield..

Please don't ask me where they are available and from who but I could probably find out.. But I am sure a reputable dealer would know..

Ah, good to know Walleyes. You had to think it would happen sooner or later. I wonder if that feature is available for consumer GPS as well? I'll have to check into it. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Didn't mean to imply that! I was referring to using the co-ordinates listed on the suggested web site and then finding them on Google or navigating to them by GPS.
No, for sure you can do that kens but wasn't aware of a way to do it with a legal land description without going to the county maps or some specialized software.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Company i work for does GPS systems for tracking, workalone, satellite messaging etc. We have a couple options for LSD lookups either on our site or on a pda.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
guidehunt

try mapsource programs you can get them at map town
Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM

You can find it on the maptown website here

Cheers
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Oh, wait... I misread what you were looking for.

That link will help you convert the LLD location to coordinates. You can search the coordinates in google earth or something to find the location on a map.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

X2 on google earth. Just make sure your dusing the same datum and co-ordinate system ie. WGS 84 and 89.16758 degrees.......
Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post

In Lloydminster you can get the program at Canadian tire. It is quite expensive so you will want to use it quite abit to justify it. It show alot of the well sites and as stated uses LSD's for your coordinates.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I think this is what you are looking for.
Hope it helps

http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/GIS/cvatsll.htm
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

thanks guys,
I will check out the solutions when I'll get home,
I heard some guys share those coordinates for fishing locations, and as I pointed out there are many small lakes and ponds that are stocked, in PP2 there is about 78 bodies of water I only know of 7 , location wise, so this spring/summer I would like to try find some more stocked lakes...,
Using google maps you can see some of them, and some of them are not even named, so it kind of leaves you in the dark...
Hoping to find some software that you can type the values and see on the map exactly where they are.

now back to work

cheers !
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM

I like this one. I don't know of one for a HHGPS, and unless your into oil/gas wells you wont need to do this much anyways.

Note that most of coords in the regs are very vague (not a coord at all, but a range) and can be hard to find smaller lakes, citing a large area.

http://www.tgwc.ca/dotnet/utility/ats.aspx