Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM

This thread has the makings to be a classic so far....Holy cow this is good entertainment
Old 01-25-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
This thread has the makings to be a classic so far....Holy cow this is good entertainment
The real criminal is the landowner glassing before legal light on their own land that they have posted no hunting.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
The real criminal is the landowner glassing before legal light on their own land that they have posted no hunting.
But I can do it from my living room window, what kind of time am I facing?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Not as much as the guys who are looking at animals from their truck out of season
Old 01-25-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I’m also wondering if I should turn myself in... or just stop looking out the window.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:08 PM

If you pay $27k for a tag, I'd say you should be able to harvest it however the you bloody well want. Hell, I think the gov't should give out camo pool noodles and special exemption to shoot out the window for that price.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:31 PM

The guy isn’t a stranger to hunting away from the road. He clearly states in the video that he is coaching his daughters basketball team. Admirable. It eats a pile of time. He did not try and make this hunt something it wasn’t. Many, many, many Albertan’s hunt this way at times. Yet he has some kind of explaining to do?

Let’s not forget that misleading conjecture on a public forum isn’t exactly admirable itself.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-25-2022, 01:33 PM

No matter how he did it, he did it legally. Beautiful elk harvest. Congrats to the hunter.

BW
Old 01-25-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The guy isn’t a stranger to hunting away from the road. He clearly states in the video that he is coaching his daughters basketball team. Admirable. It eats a pile of time. He did not try and make this hunt something it wasn’t. Many, many, many Albertan’s hunt this way at times. Yet he has some kind of explaining to do?

Let’s not forget that misleading conjecture on a public forum isn’t exactly admirable itself.
Nothing wrong with anything he did. Legal is legal. Legal is admirable. Legal should be respected and not derided, regardless of how one chooses to personally hunt.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Because of that:

Alberta Wildlife Act

o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting

And no, I do not have a "hate" for this guy.

Simply discussing some observations from an obviously edited video.

All good...
I’ll wear a blind fold next time I’m driving or walking to my hunt location before legal light. I’m sure you would still find something wrong. Simply just an observation !
Old 01-25-2022, 02:33 PM

Ive driven to our farm, saw deer before legal shooting time, waited, had a coffee, checked my watch, got out into the field and shot one. Nothing illegal about it.

This guy paid for a tag and killed an elk. Good.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:08 PM

I guess I should have known that posting what I thought was an innocent topic could turn negative. If mods want to shut down feel free. I posted this out of pure innocence of what I thought was a feel good story to help wind down the season.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Banned

Personally i think this is funny
Old 01-25-2022, 05:09 PM

I killed a moose about 3 hours after legal light by accident. When the cops came they called a tow truck for my badly damaged vehicle and they never charged me.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I guess I should have known that posting what I thought was an innocent topic could turn negative. If mods want to shut down feel free. I posted this out of pure innocence of what I thought was a feel good story to help wind down the season.
No need to.

I will simply retract everything I have observed, and life will go on...

I guess I see things differently than some, no problems guys...simply an opinion...

KBF...nothing personal against you, and never was nor intended to be by that way...All good...
Old 01-26-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
With a little time and effort a 350 bull would be easily attainable IMHO.
I normally would agree, but not many 350's are being killed on this tag lately. maybe 3 of the last 10 killed on these two yearly tags break 350. Most of the 350 bulls being taken these days are on private land or coming out of parks.

If I had the tag, I would push it until the end for a 350 bull. 2022 should be a good year for it, another easy winter so far, populations seem to be increasing throughout most zones.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:24 AM

This is how Alberta should run its Ministers tags, even if it's just for Alberta Residents. One or several tags for all species, unlimited number of tickets, and a world class, dream hunt for Alberta hunters.

Wyoming has it Professionally run, announced dates and deadlines, etc. They even have several raffle opportunities for zone specific, or state wide tags that all funds go to specific charities every year. Some of these are for large clubs, down to high school football teams that successfully apply to run the raffle each year.

Not sure why Alberta struggles to get a raffle out every year for 3 species that hasn't changed in decades. No advertisement, no recognition for the projects that the funds go to, and a never ending fight between residents on being unfair.

Imagine how much a raffle in Alberta would raise if you could win a Trifecta of big game opportunities across the province? Or for a Goat, Bison, etc. Especially if the funds were advertised and promoted on where the dollars are being spent. I keep hearing Alberta spends it's MSL money on species specific opportunities, but never once have i actually heard what those are.

The below is what the attachment says.

Super Tag and Super Tag Trifecta raffles
The Super Tag and Super Tag Trifecta raffles give hunters the chance to win an opportunity to purchase one or more
of Wyoming’s most popular big game and trophy game licenses.
• Super Tag tickets are $10 each.
• Super Tag Trifecta tickets are $30 each.
• Unlimited entries are allowed.
• Tickets are available July 15, 2021 to July 1, 2022.
• Raffle winners will be notified by July 31.
• Winners must purchase any applicable licenses and/or stamps before hunting.
• Tickets are not available from license-selling agents. Tickets must be purchased through the online Electronic
License System. Visit a regional office to use a public computer to buy raffle tickets (and other licenses).
Super Tag
tickets are $10 each
Ten drawings total, one license for each of the
following species:
Elk Deer Antelope Moose
Bighorn sheep Black bear Gray wolf
Mountain goat Mountain lion Wild bison
Super Tag Trifecta
tickets are $30 each
One drawing, winner can select to buy licenses for
three of 10 species listed below:
Elk Deer Antelope Moose
Bighorn sheep Black bear Gray wolf
Mountain goat Mountain lion Wild bison
• Raffle winners will be able to hunt any open area for the species selected except for moose and bison (areas with
10 or fewer licenses restricted) and bighorn sheep (areas with eight or fewer licenses restricted).
• Raffle winners will retain their preference points.
• Raffle winners will not have to abide by mandatory waiting periods. They will be eligible to apply for the draw
the next year (for example, the five-year waiting period for moose and bighorn sheep will be waived).
• Raffle winners will be exempt from the once-in-a-lifetime requirement for wild bison and mountain goat
licenses.
• Tickets are sold by species. One winner will be selected for each of the 10 species.
• Raffle revenue will fund Wyoming Game and Fish Department general operations.
• The raffle is open to residents and non-residents.
• Raffle winners must follow all applicable dates, regulations and laws for selected hunt areas.
• The main benefit for black bear, gray wolf and mountain lion drawings is the chance
to hold an additional license.
• Residency is based on the winners’ residency status the day they buy their licenses,
not the day of raffle ticket purchase.
• There is no deadline by which winners must purchase licenses, but licenses must be purchased for the 2022
hunting seasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supertag.jpg (35.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
Yes we do.. my wife won the resident elk tag this year. Tickets were A birthday present for me but she put her name down when she purchased them. She had shot a rifle once in her life before this , never killed anything. Turned out to be the best thing that happened.... my turn next year, hahaha

How did your wife’s hunt turn out? I’m sure everyone would love to hear about it/ see some pictures!

I spoke to the guy who received the resident bighorn tag. Just a normal dude, purchased a handful of tickets and he was able to take his first ram. Sounds like he had a great experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
How did your wife’s hunt turn out? I’m sure everyone would love to hear about it/ see some pictures!

I spoke to the guy who received the resident bighorn tag. Just a normal dude, purchased a handful of tickets and he was able to take his first ram. Sounds like he had a great experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was a great hunt, wasn’t a400 incher so probably not “worthy” of the minister’s tag lol
Old 01-26-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Was a great hunt, wasn’t a400 incher so probably not “worthy” of the minister’s tag lol
It was a great hunt you say and that is all that matters, really. Congrats!
Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you pay $27k for a tag, I'd say you should be able to harvest it however the you bloody well want. Hell, I think the gov't should give out camo pool noodles and special exemption to shoot out the window for that price.
hahahaha

If they offer the pool noodles I may buy a raffle ticket
Old 02-06-2022, 09:48 AM

Fun video, nice elk, thx for posting.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes we do.. my wife won the resident elk tag this year. Tickets were A birthday present for me but she put her name down when she purchased them. She had shot a rifle once in her life before this , never killed anything. Turned out to be the best thing that happened.... my turn next year, hahaha
Good story. My buddy put himself and the wife in on a LEH Roosevelt couple of years back. She had only hunted small game. Obviously she wins the draw and decides she doesn't want to harvest an elk.

Now they are divorced- probably not just the Roosevelt but.....
Old 02-06-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Because of that:

Alberta Wildlife Act

o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting

And no, I do not have a "hate" for this guy.

Simply discussing some observations from an obviously edited video.

All good...

You guys can laugh all you want but… circa 1988 my old man was charged and convicted under this clause because he admitted to a FW officer that he had bugled at a bull elk before daylight. The whole (short) story is that he killed a ~360” bull one morning. The neighbour and my dad weren’t getting along and the neighbour called FW and told him he had heard shots in the dark and my old man was the guy shooting and had come home with an elk that morning. The officer came by for a “chat”, dad told him not a chance he was shooting in the dark, the elk was shot to far from the neighbours house for him to even hear dads shot and just because he came home with an elk doesn’t prove anything. He proceeded to give a verbal statement thinking he was explaining himself. It was a typical story, parked the truck in the dark, walking down toward the river he lets out a bugle and gets a reply. Works the elk and eventually connects.

FW charge him for hunting prior to legal light under that exact clause due to having bugled prior to legal light, confiscate the elk and in court dad was convicted. Anyone who lived around rocky/Caroline through that time can probably guess the FW officers name too.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:52 PM

It sounds like it was the bugle that got him? That is more active hunting if you want to get technical, vs walking or driving to your spot in the dark. We would all be charged for hunting before legal light if driving or walking to our spot was considered hunting.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Good story. My buddy put himself and the wife in on a LEH Roosevelt couple of years back. She had only hunted small game. Obviously she wins the draw and decides she doesn't want to harvest an elk.

Now they are divorced- probably not just the Roosevelt but.....
Hahaha, just read this to the wife. She figures her hunt brought us closer together, whew.... and no we didn’t bugle before legal light. Yikes
Old 02-07-2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwhitey View Post
We would all be charged for hunting before legal light if driving or walking to our spot was considered hunting.
Or for hunting out of season.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:52 AM

For sure, if I win, I am going road hunting. Book it.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:18 AM

If I get the tag can I shoot a cow?
Old 02-08-2022, 12:39 PM